• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Calling from the Pyrenees in South-West France.....

Estralyia

Dreamer
I just felt compelled to join this website. The title is just so intriguing. My first children's book is fantasy, published about nine months ago by Pegasus in Cambridge, England and today I was just so thrilled when the publisher suggested that I should be listed under Kindle on Amazon globally and saw the first three sample chapters of my book.

So I thought that you would like to see one of the reviews by "jzzhsh - This review (Amazon) is from: Mistral's Race into Time (Paperback)"

A black Labrador, fed up with his job at Heathrow Airport, has wangled an early retirement and gone to live with a young scientist on his country estate: I was hooked! There follow all kinds of bizarre happenings, with space adventure and time travel, extraordinary characters and delightful surprises. Though the book is ideally suited to pre- to early teens, I would recommend it to readers of all ages. As a mother of teens I found it like a breath of fresh air among other novels for that age group. I also found it surprisingly therapeutic and of a somewhat original genre: not only was I whisked back and forth through space and time on a whacky adventure but also the characters are endearingly human and have interesting relationships whether they're a dog, space unicorns, black hole, books or just people; this aspect brings humour with it too. It was an absolute delight, and I look forward to a sequel. "

I still don't know how I wrote this book. I don't know if I could in fact write another. I will just have to see... Lynne

Chilari

Staff
Welcome and bienvenu to the Scriptorium! It sounds like you're a step ahead of most of us already as far as publishing goes (and for that matter finishing something). Congratulations for that, and for the lovely review you've recieved. Sounds like a fun book you've written.

I look forward to seeing your contributions to discussions. I'm sure your experiences in publishing would be of interest in the Publishing subforum.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Estralyia, and welcome to Mythic Scribes!! You have a very curious and unusual name =)

Congratulations for having a children's book published already, that's great!! I have finished works too but not published yet... it seems to me that you will be a good contributor for our community of Fantasy writers- Please keep posting, enjoy yourself and visit the Showcase when you have more posts.

So you live at the French side of the Pyrenees??

Estralyia

Dreamer
Thank you dragonangel517. Why did you pick that name as a matter of interest? I'm quite new to forums and so I will have to tread carefully. Basically I'm just one of those individuals who has always written loads of letters, written poetry, fairytales and so far two other unpublished novels. But then there are millions of us out there. When I worked for GSK, the pharmaceutical company I wrote articles on counterfeit drugs and combating AIDS. I felt very strongly about the two subjects and still do. As for writing, I would love to do more but I'm a translator/proofreader working from home and does the work flood in. Interesting but very tiring and especially with American clients as they do not seem to recall that I'm six hours ahead here in France! Anway, nice to meet you!

Estralyia

Dreamer
Well all I can say Aidan of the tavern is that you just have to keep on plugging to get published. I know that it is extremel frustrating. I wrote a book on counterfeit drugs about five years ago and thought it was pretty good - well I'm bound to aren't I considering that I'm the author! I did all the right things I thought, got my synopsis right, the three chapters, checked all the spelling and sent it to literary agents/publishers who dealt in my area. Reject after reject. Every now and then I look at the manuscript and think perhaps another time when tastes change? I will have to see. What have you written and why are you on this magical site?

Estralyia

Dreamer
Hello Sheilawisz, thank you for replying. Estralya is one of the winds in a book for teenagers that I'm trying to write. it's all about other planets as they fascinate me but I just cannot seem to get the inspiration at the moment. I'm trying to get enough money together to buy a telescope as this is just a wonderful place to look at the stars. Perhaps that will give me the necessasry inspiration. You're quite right, I live on the French side of the Pyrenees and I just love it here. There is only one problem, I'm terrified of heights and when friends want to be taken up a mountain, quite frankly it terrifies me!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Estralyia, I love the stars too and the starry sky at night is mentioned over and over again in all of my Fantasy stories... It would be great to buy a good telescope, and yes, I know how expensive they are!! I also love mountains, so for me living at the Pyrenees would be like a dream =)

Well, I am looking forward to see you in the Mythic Chat this weekend!!