1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Can two moons rotate around a world in opposite directions of each other

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Vicki27, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Vicki27

Vicki27 Minstrel

Hi, this may be a completely stupid question, but in my world there are two moons, one silver, one red. I would like them to rotate in opposite directions if possible, but I am not sure if this is physically possible. I know it shouldn't matter seeing as it's my world but I do like to be correct if I can.

So I guess I have 2 questions, is this possible and if so, can someone give me a quick, SIMPLE explanation of how it would work.

2. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Auror

Not being a physics person of any sort, but I kind of doubt it. Can't rule out that it can't happen though. Space is weird and doesn't like to listen sometimes. If you have a decent enough explanation, it'll probably just be shrugged off. Maybe a deity did it, or a mage of some sorts, or it is a deity. Or some big magical thing happened out their and put the moons in opposite orbits.

Or magnets.

Za'dok Khoal likes this.
  3. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

Yes, it is absolutely physically possible. Gonna do some weird things to your tides, though, assuming your world has oceans.

Vicki27 and Steerpike like this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Sure. I believe Neptune and Uranus both have at least one moon that orbits in the opposite direction of the rest of them. If they're orbiting in the direction the planet rotates, it's prograde. If they're going the opposite direction it's retrograde.

5. Chuck

Chuck Dreamer

Triton has a retrograde orbit. It is thought to be a Kuiper Belt object (similar to Pluto) that was captured, and not a natural satellite. It is extremely unlikely that a natural satellite would develop a retrograde orbit.

6. Penpilot

Penpilot Staff Article Team

Za'dok Khoal likes this.
  7. Vicki27

Vicki27 Minstrel

Thanks for your comments, info and links. When I was inventing my world I wanted 2 moons as a way of distinguishing two different lifestyles good v evil, magic v non-magic you know the usual stuff..... but it wasn't until I was developing a particular subplot that I thought perhaps I had made the impossible happen. Even better, I've learnt something as well :)

Za'dok Khoal likes this.
  8. S J Lee

S J Lee Troubadour

Why do planets orbit in the same direction?

basically, if the planets coalesced at the same time, they would ORBIT the same way.... but if a moon was a passing space rock, caught later on, by gravity, why not opposite? I am not a physicist. Just wondering? Do you mean rotate on the moons' OWN axes in opposite directions? or orbit the PLANET in opposite directions? I think most astronomers refer to orbit + the sun and rotate + own axis. Venus and Uranus apparently spin in opposite directions ON THEIR OWN AXES

and of course, if your world is simple "a magical creation", then don't even worry about it

9. Vicki27

Vicki27 Minstrel

Orbit the planet in opposite directions - my world is magical but it is a very limited magic otherwise, I think you can be in danger of making everything magical and to me that is just a little bit too easy! Also I don't really want to go against the nature of things if they are impossible - I don't mind stretching poetic license a little but not too far!

10. Azaraiha

Azaraiha Dreamer

A moon is locked in its orbit by the gravity of the planet it is slave to. It is absolutely possible for two moons to have opposite orbits from each other. The moons of Jupiter and Saturn do this.

11. J.W. Golan

J.W. Golan Dreamer

It should be pointed out that all of the examples provided for moons in retrograde orbits are bodies that are much, much smaller compared to the planet they orbit, than Earth’s moon is compared to the Earth. This is not an accident. A larger body in retrograde orbit would cause tidal drag on both the planet, and any other moon or moons - which would result in orbital decay. It’s not a stable arrangement.

Earth’s moon, in contrast, experiences tidal acceleration. Because its orbit is in the same direction as Earth’s rotation, the same tidal forces which gradually slow the Earth’s rotation also accelerate the moon to a higher orbit (further from Earth) across hundreds of millions of years.

For a retrograde moon to be a lasting feature (on geological time scales), it will need to be much smaller than the planet it orbits about, and probably at a greater distance than any large, naturally occurring moon.

12. scink

scink Acolyte

Given that you are working in the realm of fantasy can you not simply create your own rules. Otherwise you open yourself up to all kinds of interrogation from readers. If it were me I would call one the light and the other the mirror or maybe the dark and the shadow. One exists because of the other and they are opposites. Maybe a gas based planet that pulsates with energy that feeds off the essence of the other.. Maybe drawn to each other for reasons that give meaning and purpose to those that populate the main planet....' for this is the world of Enethia where anything is possible '. Maybe the occupants have shadows that can split off from their physical form and reflect the way the orbiting bodies behave. And their essence is drawn to one or the other. Light and dark and good and evil. Me I wouldn't worry, and the more fragmented and unfathomable the concept the more fantasy you can envelop in your story. Have fun with it.... Reminds me of Universe on the Amiga. Planet jumping.

But what do I know. I have no idea. They orbit cus of the power of imagination.

13. Vaporo

Vaporo Inkling

Actually, I don't think the issue is so much that it's unstable, it's that large objects orbiting retrograde don't tend to form in the first place. The solar system was formed from a rotating cloud of dust, therefore everything in it tends to rotate in the direction that the cloud of dust did. Retrograde objects are usually only formed when a stray object like an asteroid is captured in orbit around a planet and therefore the direction of rotation rule doesn't apply.

14. Sunny dewbae

Sunny dewbae Dreamer

when I read the question I kept thinking about this video

Za'dok Khoal likes this.