• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can you suggest good humorous novels?

Arranah

Troubadour
In all the books I've written so far, I've been working through the "ain't-it-awfuls" of my life. It's made for good inspiration and conflict, but.... Today I realized I'm tired of doing that, bored with it actually. I want to laugh. I want to entertain myself, all the while dealing with my protagonists' issues. If I can find a few funny examples, I can learn by reading how other people accomplish it. Any suggestions?

It can be any genre.

Thanks.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Read Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. There's plenty of drama and satire, but it's all strained through a mesh of very British humor. Also The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy always makes me grin.

MineOwnKing

Maester
All Creatures Great and Small by James Harriet.

There is one chapter in particular where he recalls assisting another veterinarian by donning a rubber suit.

I thought I would never stop laughing.

I fell in love with the stories from the BBC shows when I was a kid.

I read all the books as an adult and I still remember the day he died in about 94. He was so young and his life story was still so vivid in my mind.

He really had a way of putting you smack dab center into every scene.

The story where he eats a whole jar of relish stands out in my mind.

In fact, I might sit down tonight and start the books all over again.

post edit:

I just downloaded a kindle version of All Creatures Great and Small.

I'm already hooked from page one and the endless giggles are starting in my belly again.

Probably one of the greatest openings of a book ever.

Last edited:

neodoering

Minstrel
Try the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony. Funny stuff for young adults, with a gentle and wholesome treatment of sexuality.

Don't know if this is useful anymore but ... The Two Monarchies series by W.R. Gingell.
Howls Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, and House of Many Ways by Dianna Wynne Jones.