• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Changing the nature of a magic system part way through a story

TheRedPrince

Minstrel
I've had an idea and it is just an idea so I don't have anything concrete yet. My idea is to have the nature of how magic operates and is used change as part of the plot of my WIP. My worlds magic currently is governed by which ever god is watching over the world at the time, meaning each type of magic is only available or most effective during a certain part of the year for those born under that gods sign. Now the Prime god (he who all other gods were born from) is pissed that his magic and influence is being systematically removed from the world because he's seen to be too powerful and unpredictable. Long story short, he cracks the shits and kills his children and himself, unleashing the endless torrents of magical energy into the world. From this point on, any mage can use any form of magic. BUT the energy has to go somewhere, mages being a point of very weak resistance for magical energy, they must now try and stop becoming overloaded with magic and burning up when casting spells, making magic far more volatile and dangerous to the user.

Should I try and develope this further or is it just asking for trouble/will it seem like I'm just trying to write myself out of a corner?

Lovi

Scribe
I'm very new to writing and have only gotten into it very recently, so don't expect this to be the best way to go. But, I've found that brainstorming the magic system maybe even before the main plot offers me nice non-generic systems. Does the prime god kill the lesser gods further into the story causing the shift in the nature of magic or is it more like a backstory that you created? If the shift happened mid story, the possibilities of how it could change the entire setting and plot seem very interesting. Also, as Brandon Sanderson states and I agree, limitations within the magic system are more interesting than listing the things it can do.
For me the magic system sounds very interesting and would definitely work it further.

TWErvin2

Auror
The Red Prince,

It could work, of course, but there are two main factors, as I see it, that will strongly influence the story:

The POV used to tell the story (and how the change is relayed to the reader). Will it be told or experienced directly or learned through others, such as mages figuring out what's happened.

What other conflict is there in the story. The way described, the struggle between the gods is not the primary storyline. What else is happening and how the change in magic affects the course of that storyline/conflict will have a big impact on the potential success of the story.

I do like the idea of limiting magic systems in this way.

In some ways its similar to the way that magic seems to work in the game of Thrones books (but over a very long time scale). In GOT the old gods and magic (and dragons) went away - but now they're coming back. Long time frames over which things happen are great. I always liked Brian Aldiss Helliconia series for a similar approach to a world ecology that changed cyclically over generations (and which again has similarities to GOT).

To be honest it has been fairly common in fantasy stories to have different magic systems active depending on if its day or night, and at different times of the year (occult stories frequently have certain dates where certain rituals only work. To formalize it over a year or more sounds sensible to me.
(And what of the Chinese zodiac with the different year of the <insert animal> - its a very similar concept).

I'd say the idea certainly has legs and is worth exploring.

Scribble

Archmage
I also find this interesting. If the established order has shifted, then people will need to adjust. I can imagine people longing for the old ways, people grabbing for power now available to them, and someone wants to restore order. Temptations for <insert Palpatine/Emperor voice> UNLIMITED POWER!!! will exist, stirring the pot for people who otherwise were following the old rules.

Seems like a good fuel for drama.

jpoelma13

Acolyte
It sounds like a pretty cool idea, but as with all interesting ideas, I think you need to ask yourself if it is a logical development to the story, and whether it adds to the plot. Imagine if three quarters through writing the Return of the King J.R.R. Tolkien had decided to throw in a fire-breathing penguin the size of Godzilla. It might be funny, but it would not belong in that story. Just make sure that what your adding will strengthen in the story and not take away from it.

Last edited: