1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Character Flaw Index

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by Creed, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Creed

Creed Sage

It's included in my recent post on the character creation process, but I thought it warranted its own page.

This morning I found a long list of possible character flaws that may be useful to some Scribes who are looking for new ways to make their characters different. I definitely find it informative, and there are some funny entries too. :)

You can find the list here: Character Flaw Index

Enjoy!

2. Ekorus

Ekorus Dreamer

Thank you for this referrence! It also leads to some other very useful Indexes.

Creed likes this.
  3. La Volpe

La Volpe Sage

This keeps happening when I go to TV Tropes:
    xkcd: Tab Explosion

Creed likes this.
  4. I KNOW!! That site is so...addictive...

5. caters

caters Sage

Do characters really need flaws? I mean sure different personalities is fine by me but flaws? Especially those phobias, are they really needed?

I mean sure in prehistoric times phobias might have been useful but now they are just annoying and can actually predispose us to more problems, especially heart problems. I personally have never had a phobia in my life. I have been scared before but mostly when young and I was able to endure it every single time. I might have been scared of lions in the past but not anymore(Not that I want to be close to lions but I think I could easily defend myself without looking scared if I was in that situation).

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Everyone has flaws. Everyone. It's part of what makes us human (or in the case of non-human but equally sentient characters, people). It doesn't have to be a phobia, it can be a mindset or a bad habit.

7. Personally I love to give my characters phobias...

I also have quite a lot of them myself...

8. La Volpe

La Volpe Sage

Flaws help with a few things:
    a) Helps readers identify with the character
    b) Allows the character to grow (this is an important one; if your character doesn't have flaws, how can s/he have a character arc?)
    c) Makes interactions more interesting
    etc.

You'll also note that 7 of the bucketload of flaws in that list could be classified as phobias. Most are other things.

I don't think anyone perceives phobias as being useful.

I don't think a fear of lions is a phobia. Most people would be afraid of lions (when faced with one), because lions can legitimately murder you, no problem. Phobias, as far as I understand it, are irrational fears.

9. DragonGurl

DragonGurl New Member

Thank you so much for sharing this! This list is a great jumping off point for the "lie the character believes" which is where I like to start when planning a new project.

Creed likes this.