• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character Origins

Kaellpae

Inkling
When you write out your character history do you write it as a short story or a list or something else? This is something that's been picking at my curiosity for a while now.

I tend to make lists or write several paragraphs about them (including backstory) initially, then let them prowl around in my head. A lot of personality development happens when I'm actually writing. Putting characters in scenes where they have dialogue and are able to interact with each other is the most useful for me.

quenchy

Dreamer
The name of the character usually gives up where she hails from, as I let rumors or even some common sense talk to slip into the conversations later in the story. I usually don't use "i'm a great warrior" or "he wears a blue robe with stars on it" descriptions for my characters. If he fights well but dirty, he may be a gladiator or a theif, but can be both or neither. I give up background only if it has a significant place in my story. I use the flashback thing rarely on its own rarely - I think that it's a sign of desperation to write "he remembered the open plains...". If I list a flashback, I usually add a whole story about it, but I prefer to write the story from the perspective of a fodder character who will be killed by the main character or one of the other characters who had a divination dream about this one or something like this.

Kaellpae

Inkling
Every time I sit down to write in my world I always ask myself how the character got to be in the situation. That usually makes me start writing the story about his origins that most likely will only be seen by me. I'm so used to reading book series and seeing the character develop, that now that I'm making my own characters in my own world I have to do an origin story. Even if it's just a quick, 'he did this and this and this, and then this happened. That's how he got here how he is.'

I have to write a prelude for myself and I don't know if anyone besides me would be interested in reading it. I suppose that I'd have to just write and submit and find out though.

Ahem.. Thank you for letting me talk to myself.