• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character POV chapter writing

Is GRRM the first to employ this style in fantasy literature or are there older works that have used it as well?

Examples would be great. ;)

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Terry Goodkind did this in the Sword of Truth series. The characters were often spread apart at different times of the journey, and he changed the POV for each chapter.

Incanus

Auror
He explicitly picked it up from Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap series from the 90's (an excellent sci-fi series). Though the pattern did not emerge until the third book in this series, it uses the chapter name as the POV character, exactly like ASoIaF. Of course, multiple POV stories have been around for as long as omniscient POV has been around. And LOTR uses multiple POVs.

Last edited:

Vanilla

Banned
I cannot fathom why anybody would not've thought to make multiple point of view characters for a book before George Martin, but I don't read much old stuff, so I don't know. It seems like the rational way to write, though. Didn't The Lord of the Rings have pieces from multiple view points?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I cannot fathom why anybody would not've thought to make multiple point of view characters for a book before George Martin, but I don't read much old stuff, so I don't know. It seems like the rational way to write, though. Didn't The Lord of the Rings have pieces from multiple view points?

Kind of. After the breaking of the Fellowship, the books were divided between Frodo and Sam (and Gollum)'s half of the story and the other members of the Fellowship (mostly Aragorn). The first half was mainly the larger group, and the second half was mainly Frodo and co. But the way I interpret the OP, Miskatonic refers to having each chapter titled after the character whose POV it's from. I can't be sure, not having read any of the books mentioned, other than a few chapters of GOT.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Fiests 'Rift War' saga, done back in the late 70's and early 80's did this...sort of. Events revolved around certain characters, and entire sections of each book were dedicated to those characters exploits.

Ersiusp

The first books I remember seeing split PoVs in were Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series. Chapters were split more chronologically than one for each character, but it's clearly in the same neighborhood.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
All of Thieve's World was done this way, because each author wrote a chapter that was a specific character. Robert Asprin did it in his MYTH series (1978-2002), but it was only in certain books, where characters split up, and then they chose it for Thieve's World too because it was a collaborative work. I wasn't sure whether you were talking specifically about how he (GRRM) named his chapters after the character who was the POV, of just how each chapter was a specific POV.