• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Characters Inspired By Real People

Jabrosky

Banned
Sometimes historical figures inspire my characters. For example, I've have this longstanding Egyptian queen who's undergone countless name changes, but she obviously drew heavily upon the historical Hatshepsut.

Inspired by; yes, based on; no. Normally its some little personality or appearance quirk that catches my attention, but that goes into the mixing pot of other stuff.

kayd_mon

Sage
Sure! I have also used my dog for some inspiration for an animal character. Usually, the character will have elements of the real person, but never an exact representation.

Shreddies

Troubadour
I don't know if it is real enough but I have a historical character in my stories based loosely on the memes surrounding Chuck Norris. Another is based off of Adam West's frequent self-parodies. And I'm thinking of having Lincoln in there somewhere, if I can find a good place for him.

I don't know any of them in person, so . . . maybe?

srebak

Troubadour
This actually brings up a question i've been meaning to ask.

Yes, in one of my stories, i did base a few characters on people i knew, but they were all people i didn't like and because of this, i basically made two of them bullies who i intend to give comuppance to somewhere down the line, and the others villains' henchmen who get killed and slaughtered one-by-one. Is it wrong that i did this? I mean, i felt like a good way to exact my revenge on these people without actually harming them

This actually brings up a question i've been meaning to ask.

Yes, in one of my stories, i did base a few characters on people i knew, but they were all people i didn't like and because of this, i basically made two of them bullies who i intend to give comuppance to somewhere down the line, and the others villains' henchmen who get killed and slaughtered one-by-one. Is it wrong that i did this? I mean, i felt like a good way to exact my revenge on these people without actually harming them

I used to do the same thing. ;)

Braveface

Scribe
I am more likely to take scenes from real life than characters. I do put an aspect of my own personality, positive and negative, into many characters though.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
In 2001, I began writing because I hated my job and it was some sort of therapy, to write my coworkers into a book and make something horrible happen to them. Except, they weren't car salesmen, they were magic students and only one died (because I hated him a whole lot and he annoyed the crap out of me at work). Actually, I also used him for inspiration in a short story once. Wish I could remember what challenge that was for, it was really good.

Basically, I take a thing (or sometimes several things) and use the things. Rarely do I actually use the person.. mostly just something bout them that stands out to me. Sometimes it's a way they speak, a tick, a certain facial expression I can picture while the character's speaking like that person, etc. I remember my mom could spot my dad across the field on the army base. I mean, with fifty guys all dressed the same and with the same haircut, I wondered how, until she told me it was easy to spot my dad because he's a lefty and he hurt his ankle playing sports in high school. He limps ever so slightly when he walks and his pace is slightly different, being left-handed. Interesting. I used that in a book.

I guess for me, writing is about communicating all those things I observe and think that I can't tell people about in normal conversation. I get to show them how much small things mean to me in my writing.

I've noticed how some of my male leds have a few of my husband's finer qualities and not so many of his flaws. Sort of super-husbands in a way. I mean, they're troubled people, but their problems are simpler, for the sake of fiction. Also, I mentioned it in the "manliness" thread, but I modeled a few characters after a couple memories I have of my dad from when I was young (haven't really seen him in the last decade, since I moved away). I also base a couple characters off some of my friends, or friends I had many years ago. Little things like a conversation we had or a special moment we shared. I feel like "Why make up details and potentially be caught in a lie, when I can just use real things and never have to worry about consistency?" I mean, I like to think I'm creative, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt my best writing is when I actually have an emotional investment in what I'm doing... like when I'm honoring a memory I found special.

I guess one day, all my memories will be laid bare... available for everyone to see. I hope my mental world is as cool as I thought it was when I lived it. :)

solas

Scribe
Absolutely, but usually for physical attributes. One of my couples is based on two actors who are a couple in real life (No, NOT Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie) and this couple's chemistry onscreen is the best I have ever seen before.(Hot and steamy! :D) Another character, a victualler of a tavern is based on the personality and physique of a dear friend who is actually a politician. I have used names of my closest relatives and friends if they "fit" into the story.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I have a very dear friend who one day started telling the rest of our friends, just out of nowhere and in the middle of a conversation we were all having, that we were writing him into our series as a character. So I rolled with it, and he loved it! This character is going to have his looks, his speech patterns, and when the action of the book he appears in is over (assuming I don't kill him off, as I threaten to ever other week) he's going to pursue my friend's dream and become a fisherman.

For the record, we only have two characters out of over 400 in the series based on real people, but he's going to be one of them. Heaven help us all. :rolleyes:

Are your characters ever inspired by real people whether they be celebrities, friends, or whoever?

I work construction, with a lot of, well, not fantasy fiction fans. Hardened old men bent on practical and country music, beer drinking and age-old sayings. I say all that to say... I desperately want pictures of several of them for my story, but its impossible to ask.

"would you be my wizard, PLEASE???" has been on the tip of my tongue so many times with this particular gentleman. He's a short, tiny person with perfectly sunken eyes and bushy eyebrows, a nose that absolutely convinces me he is the descendant of a long LINE of wizards, and a mustache that puts Yosemite Sam's entirely to shame. He's quiet and talks without moving his lips. I would kill to have him read lines, pose for a handful of costumed pictures... this will never happen, unfortunately.

I need some of those glasses with the camera on them.

To answer your question, YES.
Personality? Occasionally.
Looks? All the time.
After getting a basis from a living person, you can change what you want, but still have a great idea of what the person looks like when they're speaking and how they respond to situations. It's great practice for character development as well; eventually it will be easy to create a character from scratch, with your armory of facial expressions and personalities gleaned from the masses.

A side note: I generally find someone who closely resembles my character AFTER the character has been created, though the reverse has been true. Some people are too irresistibly unique not to be stolen and repurposed. :D

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I created a minor character for an RP back in 2009, and had a pretty clear picture of him in my head. Fast forward to my second or third year of college, and I meet my theology professor, who looks almost EXACTLY like him, aside from a few details (slight difference in height, and the character is a vampire with a clubfoot, which the professor lacks). It was kind of scary. XD Also a bit ironic, considering the professor was also an ordained minister. During those same few years at college, I also made a friend who looks incredibly like an older version of the MC of Winter's Queen. I never told either of them about my characters, though.