• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Chatroom

Spider

Sage
When I first joined a couple years back, I used to chat with others quite a bit. I haven't seen many people use the chatroom nowadays.

To be honest, I think what I loved about the chat function back then was that public chatrooms could only be opened by moderators on weekends (if I remember correctly), so they were something special that I looked forward to. On the weekdays, we could only have private group chats with other members. Of course, the involvement in the site chatroom could also be influenced by the ebb and flow of forum members - some of the people who used to be available to chat all the time in the past aren't as present on this site anymore.

I think it would be cool to resurrect the chatroom (if we can!). The forums are a lot more inviting when we get to know the other members a step away from all the serious discussion. :D

Butterfly

Auror
We used to be able to put out APBs, so everyone who was online at that moment knew there was a chat room open with a few people in it. We don't seem able to do that now. Now it's a bit hit n miss in finding an active lot in the chatroom. Perhaps we should start a thread and 'bump' it whenever there is an active chat on, just to draw everyone's attention to it.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Perhaps we should start a thread and 'bump' it whenever there is an active chat on, just to draw everyone's attention to it.

That's a good idea. Here's a pre-existing thread that you can use for this purpose:

Join the Chat Channel!

We used to be able to put out APBs, so everyone who was online at that moment knew there was a chat room open with a few people in it. We don't seem able to do that now.

That was a cool feature of the old chat software that we used to use. Unfortunately, that company went out of business, so we had to find an alternative. We settled on Cometchat, which is the most popular and most stable chat software available for forums.

With Cometchat, it is possible to create your own custom chatrooms and send out group invitations. It's not as effective as the old system, but it can work. Instructions are found in this thread:

Chat System Updates

I just like being able to talk about things in real time as opposed to posting and waiting for replies. Both serve a purpose, just personal preference.