• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cheers to the Mythic Scribes Community!

Hello there!

I go by HellionHeloise and I am new to writing fantasy. I have always been an avid fantasy reader and after many years reading late into the night I decided I would create my own story.

I am female and have noticed in my own anecdotal experience that there are not as many female protagonists, so I thought I would try my hand at creating an interesting female protagonist with depth. I have recently been delighted with Lev Grossman's The Magicians series and deeply love A Great and Terrible Beauty series by Libba Bray and (obviously) Harry Potter and LOTR.

I cannot wait to learn from my fellow geeks!

I hope to find guidance from other writers in this forum. It appears to be a supportive and constructive community.

Cheers!

Last edited:

AndrewLowe

Troubadour
Howdy Hellion!

Welcome to the community :)

I just joined a few days ago and haven't been able to stop lurking yet... Be cautious; use once and get addicted.

As to your comment on female protagonists, I have noticed that as well, even as a male author. I think you might be interested in Frank Herbert's Dune series. Especially after the first 2 installments, a large number of female characters enter the mix...

Thanks Andrew! I always love a good book recommendation, especially when it's fantasy with strong female characters. I'll check out Dune.

I am a feminist, but am going to try not to get all preachy for everyone else's sake:)