• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Chekov's Armory

thetraveler

Minstrel
The series I'm writing requires quite a few subplots set up, and it can sometimes be difficult keeping track of them all. Does anyone here have a method they use to keep track of plots and subplots and Chekov's Gun(s) when they're in the thick of it and have to juggle a bunch at once? Mostly I just refer back to the chapter(s) where it started, but that can get rather difficult when you've got 50+ 2-4k word chapters in your novel.

San Cidolfus

Troubadour
I always keep an updating list of important notes and reminders in the lines below my cursor in the active file. The effect is such that so whenever I'm writing, my eyes are constantly flicking over the tidbits that I feel are most important. Once that particular note is resolved, you can just delete it or update it.

I also keep extensive notes in companion files. That's really the easiest thing you can do; jot it all down and keep it neat and clean. But I'm an organizational freak. If you want to slap a bunch of sticky notes on your monitor, I guess that would work, too.

1st question; how much do the subplots overlap? If not that much, or if told from a differnet perspective, I'd actually suggest writing each of the minor subplot(s) as a whole (each subplot at once not all of them as one), then slotting them into the main story-line when the time comes.

other than that a good, well thought out orginized plan before your writing is the best I can suggest to you. If you do have a large number of these things, then I suggest you make a very detail plan to match, ust so they don't get lost :)

though on the flip side don't forget you can always call-back something from earlier that wasn't intended as a chenkov's gun and make it one if something does get lost.

and don't be affraid of encorparating the "gun" as a regular commonly used item after the reveal if such a thing would make sense. it'll save you headaches, trust me :)

thetraveler

Minstrel
I'm too far into the final draft to make notes without losing considerable time for writing(darn you, school), but I will definitely use you guys' suggestions for book numero dos, especially considering the number of subplots that carry over into that book.

And @BeigePalladin, a lot of the subplots overlap, unfortunately for me, fortunately for whoever's looking for a good read.

I tend to write via exploration: I just start writing and then when I'm done, I go back and start over and analyze and figure out which parts work and which don't. The downside to this is that I tend to get attached to what's there; it's hard (but getting easier) to throw out an entire chapter and start from scratch.