• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Childhood favourites?

Jess A

Archmage
What got you into fantasy? What were your childhood favourites? What/who inspired you to write?

I loved Robin Jarvis and Brian Jacques when I was quite young, although I read a lot of classics and such as well. In my early teens I was a huge fan of Robin Hobb, Raymond Feist, Katharine Kerr, Maggie Furey, Sara Douglass and countless others. I also loved anything to do with animals, such as Gabriel King's 'The Wild Road', and William Horwood's 'The Wolves of Time'.

There are a lot of other books which I know I have forgotten. I kept most of the series that I loved and they are still in my bookshelves. My Sara Douglass books are falling apart :( - I did get them second-hand in the first place, but I have read and re-read them over the years.

myrddin173

Maester
The three most important to getting me into fantasy are The Hobbit, The Sword of Shannara, and Castle in the Attic (At least I think that's its name...). Afterward I read a lot of Brian Jacques, The Chronicles of Narnia, and LotR. When I first tried to read it I was so young that I couldn't finish the Fellowship my first time. Not because it was too difficult, but because the Black Riders scared the bejeezers out of me. Then I somehow got the visual image of them being pigs in black trench-coats... It's hard to get that image out of my mind and its even harder to not laugh at the Nazgul.

Jess A

Archmage
The Castle in the Attic...that rings a serious bell. I loved Narnia as a child too. So many books! For some reason, I did not really enjoy Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. It didn't grip me at all. It wasn't due to the language - I read a lot of classics when I was young. Terry Brooks is someone I ought to read, I know. There are so many good books out there.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The most important ones for me growing up were The Hobbit, the Narnia books, Moorcock's Elric books, Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, and Robert E. Howard's Conan stories.

Butterfly

Auror
I read and reread The Chronicles of Narnia until the books fell apart. LOTR, The Hobbit, a couple of times.

I also read a lot of Rosemary Sutcliff's books, particularly enjoyed her Arthurian Trilogy; The Eagle of the Ninth series; and the Shield Ring. She wrote around ancient stories and myth, which I found very interesting.

Ursula Le Guiinn's Earthsea.

I also read a lot of the point fantasy books and point horror books.

I remember discovering quite late the D&D books, and reading straight through Katherine Kerr's Deverry series. But that was probably some time in my mid teens if I remember rightly.

Last edited:
When I was in grade school I loved the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede, Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, The Hobbit, Narnia, and A Wrinkle in Time (though my favorites were actually Many Waters and A Wind in the Door). I also read my first Pern book sometime in 7th or 8th grade and continue to devour anything by Anne McAffery to this day (though not anything co-authored by her son, ick). In high school I read a lot of Dragonlance (anything by Weiss and Hickman), The Wheel of Time, Sevenwaters (and anything else) by Juliet Marillier, and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams.

In the interest of full disclosure, some of my other childhood favorites that had a fantasy angle were Goosebumps and Animorphs. :D

I cannot remember the name of the series, it was fantasy, and involved some kids that found medallions of different materials. I remember distinctly that they were able to travel in between dimensions, seeing people that were flat, living in 2 dimensions, and creatures with three eyes that lived in a four dimensional world. Moving from three to four dimensions and back again made the mover... backwards. They wrote with the opposite hand, hair was parted on the other side of the head, that sort of thing.

I never finished the series, and now I can't remember what it was called.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Jess A

Archmage
Sashamerideth - I have not heard of that one either! You'll have to let us know if you find it.

And yes - Animorphs was an early childhood favourite. I read Goosebumps as well.

I read most of Kerr's Deverry series in a week, if I recall. I was so trapped in those novels that I couldn't put them down! And that was during school. I must have read them at lunch as well.

Butterfly

Auror
I read most of Kerr's Deverry series in a week, if I recall. I was so trapped in those novels that I couldn't put them down! And that was during school. I must have read them at lunch as well.

I found her homepage at deverry.com. It has some useful links for writers, and info about her books. If you haven't seen it, it's worth a visit.

Jess A

Archmage
I found her homepage at deverry.com. It has some useful links for writers, and info about her books. If you haven't seen it, it's worth a visit.

Thank you! Much appreciated. It is always important to get tips from the best. Robin Hobb gave me some tips a few years ago. One was to write a little every day.

The Hobbit, which I read when I was 10 or 11, was definitely the book that really got me into fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I had read and loved other fantasy books/series as a kid like Narnia, The NeverEnding Story, The Odyssey (a kids adaptation probably) and The Last Unicorn, and was an avid reader in general (mostly mystery back then), but The Hobbit was the first book to truly enchant me. At the time, I thought it was the perfect story; I just couldn't find fault with it. It moved at a fast pace and was full of imagination, mystery, adventure, excitement, suspense, magic, and wonder. It was also written in a really charming style. All you could hope for in a fantasy story. I don't love it in the same way I did as a kid now, but it was my initiation into the genre.

aderyn

Scribe
@ Butterfly and Little Storm Cloud - I also am a great fan of the Katherine Kerr Deverry series. Did you know that she only finished that series in relatively recent times? (2009) I first read those books in my mid-late teens, I recently reread them and enjoyed them even more than the first time!

As a child the first fantasy novel I read was Susan Cooper's 'The Dark is Rising'. It really awakened a love for fantasy. After that, like many of you I read 'The Hobbit' and 'Lord of the Rings' and loved them.

Interestingly, in my twenties and early-mid thirties I went 'off' fantasy. But now I've returned and I'm loving it :)

Jess A

Archmage
@ Butterfly and Little Storm Cloud - I also am a great fan of the Katherine Kerr Deverry series. Did you know that she only finished that series in relatively recent times? (2009) I first read those books in my mid-late teens, I recently reread them and enjoyed them even more than the first time!

As a child the first fantasy novel I read was Susan Cooper's 'The Dark is Rising'. It really awakened a love for fantasy. After that, like many of you I read 'The Hobbit' and 'Lord of the Rings' and loved them.

Interestingly, in my twenties and early-mid thirties I went 'off' fantasy. But now I've returned and I'm loving it :)

Your username is the Aderyn from the Kerr series, yes? :)

I did know that she continued to write them - I read a lot of the earlier ones when I was about fourteen, but I only noticed that she had written plenty more much later on. I have not kept up - I will go back and reread them.

I also stopped reading fantasy for some time, but I have also recently returned to some new ones and some old favourites.

Can't recall if I mentioned it or not...and technically not a children's story I would think - but Watership down is still one of my favorites at any age.

aderyn

Scribe
Your username is the Aderyn from the Kerr series, yes? :)

I did know that she continued to write them - I read a lot of the earlier ones when I was about fourteen, but I only noticed that she had written plenty more much later on. I have not kept up - I will go back and reread them.

I also stopped reading fantasy for some time, but I have also recently returned to some new ones and some old favourites.

My name is not actually from that series, it's just coincidence, one that I didn't realize until I reread them, lol! Yes you should go back and read them :) so what new ones are you reading?

Jess A

Archmage
Michael - Watership Down is brilliant. I think you did mention it! :)

Aderyn - Really? I have seen the name 'Aderyn' elsewhere too, I must admit. I shamelessly stole my username from a book, although it was a nickname of mine from a long time ago and it used to annoy me.

As for new books, I read K. J. Taylor's Griffin series, and Rachel Neumeier. Also a griffin series. I want to read the George R. R. Martin books and have purchased the first in the series. I just don't get as much time to read as I used to. Robin Hobb's newest series was quite intriguing and kept me hooked. I've just been fussy of late and I can't seem to get into many books.

aderyn

Scribe
Aderyn - Really? I have seen the name 'Aderyn' elsewhere too, I must admit. I shamelessly stole my username from a book, although it was a nickname of mine from a long time ago and it used to annoy me.

As for new books, I read K. J. Taylor's Griffin series, and Rachel Neumeier. Also a griffin series. I want to read the George R. R. Martin books and have purchased the first in the series. I just don't get as much time to read as I used to. Robin Hobb's newest series was quite intriguing and kept me hooked. I've just been fussy of late and I can't seem to get into many books.

Aderyn is actually a female name, or so I've always been told, I just assumed Kerr bent the rules a bit when she used it. I haven't read those. I'm finishing off 'the clan of the cave bear'series at the moment. Then I want to get into 'game of thrones' a friend recommended it.

Last edited:

Butterfly

Auror
Aderyn is actually a female name, or so I've always been told, I just assumed Kerr bent the rules a bit when she used it. I haven't read those. I'm finishing off 'the clan of the cave bear'series at the moment. Then I want to get into 'game of thrones' a friend recommended it.

Aderyn is a Welsh name and it means bird - thought you might be interested in knowing.