• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cited Materials

Tolkien

Troubadour
How should I label my cited material in the back of the book? So have block quotes within my text that have the sources listed underneath each quote. But then I have citation footnotes with the sources in the back of the book.

I am just wondering how best to label these. Should it be references of sources cited? It seems to me sources cited is more accurate since not every source is given in the back because block quotes are already sourced.

So

References​

Tolkien 1
Tolkien 2
etc

Or

Sources Cited​

Tolkien 1
Tolkien 2
etc

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Since this is fiction and not an academic paper (I'm assuming it's fiction, since you're on a fantasy fiction forum) you can play a bit fast and loose. If I was doing it, I would title this section as "Sources Cited," but I've also been an academic, and one that worked with Tolkien's papers, specifically. "References" would probably work equally well. In this case, you do you.

Tolkien

Troubadour
Since this is fiction and not an academic paper (I'm assuming it's fiction, since you're on a fantasy fiction forum) you can play a bit fast and loose. If I was doing it, I would title this section as "Sources Cited," but I've also been an academic, and one that worked with Tolkien's papers, specifically. "References" would probably work equally well. In this case, you do you.

Ty very much.