• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Clear or Unclear?

Scribe Lord

Minstrel
I have a quick question. I'm trying to write a war meeting and am playing with the ways that different types of soldiers are called.

So basically if a character says something like:

"I can raise three thousand spears by summers end." Or "The Skourene can muster two hundred horse at most."

Is it clear that I'm talking about spear-men and cavalry and not simply actual spears or horses?

Scribe Lord

Minstrel
Oh, and also is there any rule in writing regarding the use of numerals as opposed to written numbers?

eg. '3,000 spears' instead of 'three thousand spears'

Nimue

Auror
Clear, but if you think the context might be confusing, you can always have the first reference be to "spearmen" or "horsemen" and shorten it as the conversation goes on.

Using numerical digits for large numbers is used in academic or non-fiction writing, but I've never seen that in fiction. Definitely "three thousand".

Zadocfish

Troubadour
Yeah, that's about right. If nothing else, it's cleat that the spears and horses would then be USED for spearmen and cavalry. So, even if it isn't clear, the intention still gets across. Though, maybe make "horse" plural.

Also, I think writing out the number is a bit more professional.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
These are the general "rules" for spelling out numbers as I understand them:
1. Numbers under 10 are always spelled out.
2. Numbers 10 & above are written numerically (i.e. I have 25 horses.)
3. Exception 1: Numbers beginning a sentence are always spelled out. (Forty years ago, my life changed forever.)
4. Exception 2: Calendar years are always written numerically, even if beginning a sentence.
5. Exception 3: Use numerical figures for expression of age, calendar dates, percentages & ratios, monetary amounts.

However, the way you decide to use numbers is largely an issue of style. There are many different viewpoints on how to use numbers in creative writing. The various style manuals approach this topic in different ways. If you don't have a style manual, get one.

I certainly never use numbers for expression of age or monetary amounts, as stated in the above list of rules, while I will use numerical figures for dates and percentages.

In your above excerpt, it wouldn't bother me a bit if you used 3,000 or three thousand. So, do what feels right. Just be consistent about it.