• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

cliched plot devices , anyone?

grimreaper

Scribe
Yesterday, I came upon this article.
The Well-Tempered Plot Device: Nick Lowe

The author here mentions and classifies several types of plot devices that have been used over and over again in the SF/F genre in different forms.
After reading this article , I was left wondering ,"does it really matter if I use these or similar plot devices in my story?". I don't think it does. After all , who cares if an author uses a plot device to justify a point or two , or an odd adventure a character has to go on. So long as he/she does not do it too often , that is.

Your views please , if you wish, both on that article and on that one interminable question , "How often is too often?"

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
For me, clichés in writing are a bit like chords in music...
you can get away with using only three chords and have a great musical career – the trick is not to use them to the same beat in the same order...

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yes. You can use any of these "cliched" elements and still have a great story. You have to be cognizant of what you are using and how readers might react to it, but great writers can make a brilliant story with them.

The question, of course, is whether you're a great writer.

I would never write a story based in fatalism, not because of my disbelief in fatalism (I disbelieve in magic, and I still write about it), but because I don't think I, personally, would be able to write a good story involving it. What skill I have relates in part to characters in unexpected situations making unexpected choices, so if I take their choices from them, I take my skill as well.

On the flipside of things, I am ready, willing, and capable of writing a collect-the-coupons plot, because I think I can make interesting coupons. In fact, my current story is of this form, specifically the gotta-kill-em-all subtype--three heroes and three monsters, each monster a counterpart to a hero--and I think it's turning out well, because I've been able to use the fights to illuminate the heroes' pasts and beliefs.

To sum it up, I care if you use cliches badly, whether they're occasional or not, but I have no problem with cliches used well. Just practice enough to learn what your skills are, and don't be afraid to rewrite if things aren't working out well.

yachtcaptcolby

Minstrel
Don't hesitate to take those cliches and use them to your advantage. Cliches can be very useful in making your reader think one thing when you're actually planning to swerve into a surprise. Subverting certain tropes can win you a lot of brownie points with readers and editors alike.