1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Collective Story Writing

Discussion in 'Mythic Roleplaying' started by S.T. Ockenner, Dec 2, 2020.

1. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

It's not the same as roleplay, because
    1) it's about building a plot
    2) you have to use descriptions to tell a deeper story
    3) there are no GMs or PCs. Everyone takes control of every character. It's about making a story.

Ned Marcus and skip.knox like this.
  2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

I've tried it a time or two, but I always want to tell the story *my* way. I have a t-shirt: Does Not Write Well With Others. <g>

3. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

Years ago, there was a palace. In that palace, lived a small man who never saw much of the world. His name- Giraze, a rich man whose parents had died just yesterday.
    Giraze was feeling a bit bored, sitting around in his ivory palace, then-
    [That's fine, you don't have to participate skip.knoxskip.knox , you can just read it as it unfolds. Also, if it's not in the story please put brackets around it]

skip.knox likes this.
  4. MrNybble

MrNybble Sage

A thunderous boom breaks the dull evening. Reverberating around the palace as people look around for the source. Many, including Giraze rush to the nearest place to see the open sky. As most by instinct believe the sound to be a clap of thunder. Not a cloud in the sky, expect for what looks like a wispy white trail. It stretches from from the distant mountains to a point just past the hills making up the old coal mines. No hint of a late summer breeze whisks away the white streak that seems close enough to touch the palace's tallest point,

S.T. Ockenner likes this.
  5. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

Giraze ran over to the nearest servant.
    "What was that?" he asked.
    The servant, an old woman in green clothes, shrugged.

6. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

Giraze scoffs at her then runs outside.
    "I don't care that there's the thunderstorm! I'm going to see what this is!"
    "But wait, sire! You've never left the palace before- not once!" one servant said.

7. MrNybble

MrNybble Sage

Anybody Giraze passes on his way murmur about the sound and the white streak in the sky. Speculating about many things like a meteor, wrath from a god, distant volcano, or some accident in the old coal mines.

8. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

Giraze ran [is this story is past or present tense?] across the field and up the path through the mines to find the source of the smoke. The yellow grass sways in the breeze, and many are crushed by Giraze's pointed black boots.

9. MrNybble

MrNybble Sage

The mines being abandoned a generation ago show very little evidence of its presence. What structures remain are decrepit and covered in plant growth. One stone structure stands promadent as being the last silo built to hold coal. Even this building showing signs it may collapse at any time. Yellow grass in the area disturbed recently by something big. The white trail above dispating and clearly ending at the point the grass is flattened. Whatever made the white mark in the sky, it is not smoke.

[I trend to write in present by default. Did it for ten books, so it's a hard habit to break]

10. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

Giraze gulps and puts his finger to the grass, but is stopped by a deep, hoarse voice.
    "I would not recommend that."
    Giraze spins around and sees a tall, old man with a grey beard reaching to his chest. His head is bald, and he wears a black cloak over dark purple vestments. His startlingly bright grayish blue eyes stands out against his dark brown, nearly black, skin.
    "Do you know what that is?" Giraze asks, pointing upward.
    "Yes, it was-"
    A roar erupts in the sky as flames dart around in the distance.
    "A dragon."
    Giraze gasps and falls over.
    The old man hands him a canteen of water and Giraze drinks it. After he drinks a bit, he looks in his own reflection, remembering what he looks like-

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  11. MrNybble

MrNybble Sage

Glistening green eyes look back through long chestnut hair pulled back to reveal a chiseled, lively face. A mark reaching from just under the right eye runs toward the tip of the nose and ending on his upper lip. A blemish that happened at such a young age, he has no memory and never told what caused it.

Flames spray into the air as sounds of another distinctive roar accompanies the first. This second sound having a screech quality instead of the thrumming base of the first. Gusts of wind cause tiny cycles to twists the flames in directions relatively toward the source of fire.

12. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

"Quickly- we must flee to the plains, to the west! Where the dragons won't find us!" the old man says.
    "But- I've never- who are you?" Giraze says, stumbling to his feet.
    "I am Godrik Grordmor. Now that pleasantries are out of the way..." he replies, grabbing Giraze by his puffed collar and sprinting.
    "Wait! I've never left the the palace!" Giraze shouts.
    "Gods, well I guess it's time for you to get a life now!" Godrik chuckles.

13. MrNybble

MrNybble Sage

A tingle gathers around the edges of the blemish on Giraze's face. He reaches up to touch the mark that seems to react with the distance sounds of dragons.
    Godrick notices this, and grabs Giraze's wrist. "You can touch yourself once we leave this place. Dragon battles don't last long and that gives us little time." He tugs hard on his wrist nearly pulling Giraze off balance.

[I waited for others to jump in. May get more in time.]

14. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

Giraze and Godrik rush off, feet kicking up dirt and grass.
    "My brand new burgundy clothes are ruined..." Giraze sighs.
    "You're seriously worrying about your clothes at a time like this?" Godrik growls.
    At the bottom of the hill is a vast, sunny plain, extending for miles. The grass swayed in the light breeze that tickled Giraze's mustache hairs [I decided Giraze has a mustache].
    "It's...beautiful. I never knew such a pla-"
    "Shut your mouth and keep running!" Godrik says, then he sighs, "young people these days..."
    "I'm not that young! I'm almost twenty-eight!" Giraze whines.

15. MrNybble

MrNybble Sage

"Younger than me," Godrik shots back. Given his more advanced years not slowing his pace. Unlike Giraze that is already heaving with deep breaths to keep up.
    "Can we at least get a horse or something?" Giraze askes while holding a stitch in his side.
    Godrik shoves him so he falls to the ground. "Listen good, whelp." He looms over him. "Stay there and be the tastiest thing nearby for a hungry dragon, or run until you collapse. Either way you will suffer. Just one choice you get to live through." He holds out a hand to help him get up.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  16. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

[You swapped their names]

17. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

[here, I'll correct it:
    "Younger than me," Godrik shots back. Given his more advanced years not slowing his pace. Unlike Giraze that is already heaving with deep breaths to keep up.
    "Can we at least get a horse or something?" Giraze askes while holding a stitch in his side.
    Godrik shoves him so he falls to the ground. "Listen good, whelp." He looms over him. "Stay there and be the tastiest thing nearby for a hungry dragon, or run until you collapse. Either way you will suffer. Just one choice you get to live through." He holds out a hand to help him get up.]

18. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

Giraze sighs and continues following Godrik, and after half an hour of running, they stop.
    "Why are we -huff- stopping?" Giraze asks.
    "You'll see," Godrik chuckles.
    Godrik mutters some words and tosses a fine, white powder from out his pocket. It stopped on a shape, and shimmered, revealing:

19. MrNybble

MrNybble Sage

The powder settles into the shape of something familiar to Giraze that gets a raised eyebrow. "An outhouse? Way keep something like that hidden and how is it going to help us now?"
    Godrik groans in frustration. "Not everything is what it seems." He goes to grab here a door latch should be.
    "Still," Giraze looks uncertain.
    "Invisible or not, it's still solid like anything else. So the smaller the better," Gordrik says as the door opens.

20. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

As the two walk in, the outhouse opens up into an underground, large wooden room. There is a bar table being tended by an overweight man in an apron, and some shady characters sitting around at tables, some playing cards, most wearing black cloaks. Candles, attached to the wall with open black lanterns, are the only light in the place. Godrik dusts his boots off on a mud-stained rug and kicks them off his feet, revealing thick woolen socks.
    "Come on in! What are you waiting for?" Godrik says without facing Giraze.
    "What happened to 'the smaller, the better'?" Giraze shouts, falling over as he tries to unbuckle his boots.