• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

College starting back up again!

Noma Galway

Archmage
You know school is starting when you have to pick up books.

Among them I have a book called Writing Fiction because I have a short story class this semester. Not looking forward to it, actually.

I want to thank you guys for everything you've taught me in my short time on MS, and I hope I'll be here a long time.

Noma Galway

Archmage
Because I'm leery of creative writing classes. I like the creative writing organization on campus, and the literary journal of which I am the head, but I'm not sure that I have the ability to sit in a classroom and be told how to write fiction. Also, we can't write speculative fiction in there.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Not letting you write speculative fiction is lame. An unnecessary restriction. As for creative writing classes as a whole, take what you find valuable and discard the rest. I found a few things I could use, a lot of things I already knew, and a lot more that I didn't agree with and disregarded :)

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Not letting you write speculative fiction is lame. An unnecessary restriction. As for creative writing classes as a whole, take what you find valuable and discard the rest. I found a few things I could use, a lot of things I already knew, and a lot more that I didn't agree with and disregarded :)

I had the same experience. A creative writing class with restrictions isn't very creative. However, you may still discover techniques & ideas which you will be able to employ.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I did a creative writing course a few years ago that had a similar restriction about fantasy/horror. The Tutor explained [in a very candid moment] that she was sick and tired of reading thinly disguised fan-fic of last years book or films. She didn't think much of most people that did creative writing courses but said that just once in a while she read something that made it all worth while.
As other's have said: Take what you learn and find useful and dis-guard the rest. You may be surprised at what you learn by being forced to work outside your comfort zone.

Rinzei

Troubadour
I hope you do end up enjoying it. Even though it didn't relate to my major, I really wish I had taken a creative writing or fiction class when I went.

Just make sure that, no matter what, you still give yourself time for your writing. I put everything aside for college, including writing, and while I got good grades, it has made it very difficult to get back into my work (and I've been out for 3 years now!). As much as college is important, it's also important to still be able to do things that you love. Otherwise, you'll go nuts! :)

Nagash

Sage
Wish I had such a class Noma ! Back home they're really not that into "creativity". Just started a class on methodology of pols in sociology...

Boring as hell...

/sigh

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Noma, is that Writing Fiction by Janet Burroway, et al., by any chance? If it is, you might be pleasantly surprised. I've got it sitting next to me on my writing reference shelf, and I found it enjoyable. Granted, it's literary, but it still had some useful things to say.

I know with writing it is very easy to find that a structured teaching setting doesn't work for you, but just try to go in with a positive attitude and if nothing else enjoy the face to face interaction between writers. Who knows, you may even work around the barriers and end up getting a lot out of it, so good luck.