1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

College Thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DragonOfTheAerie, Sep 21, 2019.

1. If i haven't been active on MS in a while, this is definitely why. For a while I was going a little bit bonkers trying to stay hydrated and get sleep while taking classes.

So I'm in a creative writing intro class and I wasn't expecting this to happen, I was expecting to be challenged in some unexpected ways, but I'm actually bored out of my mind. The textbook we have is kind of an amalgam of most other writing books I've read, and the assignments are...not difficult. More often than not I do things the day they're assigned. It's not so much the assignments though as the discussions and lectures...it's just pretty basic stuff and I don't find it interesting to talk about. I'm actually interested most by the class I thought I would hate, my politics class.

Right now we're workshopping short stories and it's nice to have this experience but I don't care a whole lot about the thing I wrote. Again, we're being judged on the basics.

Bleh.

2. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Auror

So, you want the more advanced work stuff? The ability to take plots and happily twist them your own way?

3. I don’t know exactly. There’s been little opportunity for complex discussion.

4. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Auror

Ah. Maybe you can talk to the teach about it. Or just power through the basics and then get to the good stuff. And keep drinking lot's of water.

5. It really may just be her teaching style that’s not very engaging, or it might be just me being already familiar with a lot of the terms she spends 5-10 minutes defining.

6. pmmg

pmmg Auror

College is not for creativity. Its purpose is conformity. Your purpose is to get through it and then be something more.

Malik, Chessie2 and Sheilawisz like this.
  7. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

It's called an intro class for a reason. It's probably too late now, but in the future when you see in a syllabus that a class isn't what you expected, get out of it. Even if it's necessary for a degree path see if you can place out of it, or delay the path and take the dumb course on a summer community college program so you can get more out of the university.

Chessie2 likes this.
  8. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

At the college I went to (go Seawolves!) we had two weeks to be fully refunded for a class we didn't like. What's hard is that sometimes it takes a bit more time (like 3 or 4 weeks) to really gauge a class. Just get through this with an easy A and be glad you can spend more study time on classes that matter to you. Also, you are a more advanced writer than an intro class is meant to cater to. Likely you had to take it because you were forced to sign up at the 100 level. I took writing classes in college. They teach you something different than is applicable to the real world industry, imo.