1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Combat Questions

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I really don't need help to blow up my character. D:

That's what I assume by default. +4 for two, if you exclude one... Of course I would be extremely happy if it's even +3 (since it's vs a single opponent), but, well...

Somehow I feel like abusing it when my AC raises to 20 or above, because I'm a mage, I use no armor! But then take into account the following facts: My flank and rear are still vulnerable, not everyone is fan of having DEX as a mage, and people don't go into dodge or evade mode too often. I would be, obviously, giving up of my attacks to be dodging. My magical accuracy is low, my rolls, worse. Also, the spell duration is fairly short, it will be short for a good while - if you consider the XP I'm going to need to level up.

I don't know how it's really going to work in game, but for now the risks involved seem to make the high AC reward almost fair.

I hope it's invisible! "Transparent" doesn't really help my party, but something invisible can enrage or freak out my opponents, because, you know, mages should not tank. And they're not even common! The general knowledge about how the usual spells work and their duration must be really weak. >D

Yup, it's one of the things I had in mind. It's still extremely risky, I would usually need to get away from the group to cast (unless I'm planning to injury them, mwahahaha!), then succeed on casting, because, c'mon, my luck sucks, then join the wall.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Amen to that. One thing I always hated was when someone would tell me that I couldn't get away a particular illusion because "that spell's not in the book" or "that item doesn't exist." I'd smile sweetly (on the outside…) and ask: "How does the target know that?"

Even in settings where magic is common, it's unlikely that any individual will know what doesn't exist. Other magicians might be the most susceptible of all, because they know it is possible to research and design new and unique spells. Now, if they manage to survive a few rounds, and see the other guy is only casting low-level spells they can identify, then they might not be suckered; until then, all they probably know is the other guy is using magic.

Which is why one of my favorite characters was a split-class illusionist/mage. (Most groups I've played with tended to allow things the core rules didn't.) Got the other guy to the point where he thought he knew what he was dealing with, then launched a real Fireball or whatever, accompanied by his battle cry: "Disbelieve this!" He also kept a bag of holding packed with every piece of junk he could think of a way to use by pretending it was a magic item. (Favorites: loop of string, dragon hand puppet, marbles. Lots and lots of marbles.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  3. Ravana

Ravana Istar

If it's the one I'm thinking of… wouldn't want to play with anyone who didn't. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017