• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Combining Words to Create Interesting Words

In my WIP, I have an unusual massive "lake" that is not made up of bodies of water, but instead a large chunk of low density air. Therefore, people travel along the "lake" with means of hovering boats or so-called windvessels. I have tried many different names for this very "lake" that I come up with a few options of combination after some brainstorming session:

• Wind + Lake = Wake/Windake
  • Lake + Wind = Lakind/Lind
  • Air + Lake = Aire
  • Lake + Air = Lair/Lakair

And et cetera.

There is another word Phihelean (name for a female deity) in front of the aforementioned names, so I am struggling of which one I can use to let the name sounds catchy and interesting. Personally, for now I think that Phihelean Wake sounds nice. How about you all?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I personally find all of these too on-the-nose. I'd go for something like: The Great Float, the Windpit, the Hoverbay. To me these sound more like terms people living around the place would actually use in conversation. "Let's go to the Windpit" is more pleasant to say than "let's go to the Lakair"

Last edited:
I personally find all of these too on-the-nose. I'd go for something like: The Great Float, the Windpit, the Hoverbay. To me these sound more like terms people living around the place would actually use in conversation. "Let's go to the Windpit" is more pleasant to say than "let's go to the Lakair"

Thank you :), it is indeed sounding more natural. Alternately, I have also thought of the name "Wind Crater", but I am unsure whether if it suits my story's location or not.

Last edited:

Nomadica

Troubadour

I second this.

Especially Windpit and Hoverbay. Great Float sounds like someone left a great sh!# in the toilet.

Last edited:
I second this.

Especially Windpit and Hoverbay. Great Float sounds like someone left a great sh!# in the toilet.

How about "Wind Crater"? Because of my main concept for the lake is described as very deep below and have unusual large rocky spikes which normal lake does not possess, is there any other words besides "crater" which can describe such?

Last edited:
Butterpool!

My skylake was not made up of buttery substance after all, despite it was actually made up of magical salts which properties flourish the strange ecosystem inside the skylake. The chemical composition of the lake made Lovecraftian-esque creatures like floating worm-snakes, ugly yet cute oversized plankton etc possible...

Nomadica

Troubadour
How about "Wind Crater"? Because of my main concept for the lake is described as very deep below and have unusual large rocky spikes which normal lake does not possess, is there any other words besides "crater" which can describe such?

It works but does't flow off the tongue as well. It's kinda a mouth full.