• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Comparing Red and Yellow Apples

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
So, when I first published Eve of Snows in June of 2018 I had zero track record and not a lot of smarts, so I ran a Goodreads digital giveaway over the span of 2 weeks and got 340 requests for entry... Nice, but I didn’t realize how it would screw with my also-boughts on Amazon.

Skip forward 20 months and I had 5 hardcovers sitting around that were older and missing newer maps and other stuff, so I figured I’d sign them and do a giveaway. This time I’m running the promo for a month, and the book has won an award, is nominated for more, and got a killer Editor’s Pick review from Booklife and 5 Star from Indie Reader, among others.

Requests for entry doubled the first giveaway in 3 and a half days, most of that in the first two days.

One of the things I’ve always been curious about is the value of awards (not talking the Nebulas here, but some small contest) and reviews from Industry types. The performance in advertising is pretty obvious, but I was real curious tosee what happened between Newb Author giveaway and credentialed book giveaway.

The way it looks now is that the giveaway will add 1000+ readers who may not have heard of the book before.

Of course this isn’t a precise comparison, but there was no way in hell I’d ever do a digital giveaway on Goodreads again, heh heh.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Another tidbit, at least 15 new followers on GR this time and 0 from the original giveaway. Worth it? Who knows, it’s not a quick sales approach, but hopefully it hlps builds a base of contacts.