• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Concept of Colonialism - Integration into the Fantasy World (WIP) - Part I

Note: It seems my "promised" sequence of posts is needed to have postponed for awhile (if you have read my post about the introductory world I had written of), because currently I have been 'unintentionally' working on a setting based upon the concept of colonialism, in which I am writing it now. Some made-up terms are also brought to attention that these terms will be further elaborated in the future. Also note that some information will change according to writer's will with the test of time.

Prologue

Colonialism, in our historical reality, is always believed to be one of the most significant terms related to the worldly politics. According to the definition provided by Wikipedia, it generally means:-

'the establishment of a colony in one territory by a political power from another territory, and the subsequent maintenance, expansion, and exploitation of that colony; it is also used to describe a set of unequal relationships between the colonial power and the colony and often between the colonists and the indigenous peoples.'
Source: Colonialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that the bold-highlighted terms, they are assumed to literally sum up the whole concept, that the main focus would be the interaction between colonists and indigenous people alike. I can say that there are numerous stories from other skilled writers who also implement this concept in their respective settings. With a little twist between these two 'factions', integrating this concept into a fictional (fantasy) world would be a piece of cake (excluding the effort which more objective and constructive developmental aspects should be made to polish the work).

In my WIP, there will be not only two but three conceptual 'factions' struggling each other with the concept applied: The first colonial power, the second colonial power and lastly the indigenous populace. According to my core vision of my fictional fantasy world, Mohaert (or Mohaertica), meaning "mutual struggle" in Yawish language (my own constructed language in progress), colonialism is consolidated and apt to be the best instance to express such phenomenon than others.

Hence, this post will focus more on the generalization of my worldbuilding process rather than storytelling (as it is in worldbuilding section obviously), with an aim of effectively integrate a single concept into a setting along with miscellaneous additions of polishing.

New Times - Age of Colonialism (NT 403* - ongoing)
*A method of dating epochs in Mohaert, as similar to the dating methods of B.C. and A.D.. In here, the acronym "NT" means "New Times"; while the number indicates the stated year.

Context

In this period, there exists two rival superpowers: Acholian League and the Septican League. Situated in continental and maritime Yura, the increasing influence of power over these empires (or leagues in preference) has led to an increasing demand of ambiguous needs of rival competition, religious indoctrination, political motivation and material/resource exploitation. This period is also known as the "Colonial Age of Leagues".

Acholian League

Brief Introduction

A unitary empire located at the Eastern Yura and the Geaple Isles, compromised of 5 provinces (previously 6, but one of the provinces, Ebane ak Haugash was succeeded to become a disputed sovereign matriarchy): Chedia, Dosedia, Tarpogia or Dihan Tarpa, Van Vinn, The Geaple Isles and The Methic Isles. White Horse Square (of Chedia), Arulia (of Dihan Tarpa), Van Vinn and Gem's Valley (of The Geaple Isles) are collectively known as the Golden Quadrarchy. Van Vinn is where the official meeting takes place between both chancellors to discuss important matters concerning the league. The empire is currently practicing electoral dichancellorship - a political concept which 2 influential chancellors administer the league collaboratively: one is from the mainland Yura and one from the Geaples (also known as The Grand Prince). Currently, Pathet Kichekh Lau is the mainland chancellor (his honorable title as Lykung) while Mahern II is the oversea chancellor (Grand Prince of the Geaple Isles).

General Information

Capital: (Prior to NT 403 and so on) White Horse Temple and Gem's Valley.
Language(s): Reformed Yawish, East Pahimutan, Dosh Tongue, As-Miric languages and other minor languages.
Religion: Before NT 397: Majority Sederism, after NT 397: Reformed Celestial Ditheism through the Verril Act (others are suppressed in order to enhance political stability).
Government: Before the Verril Act: absolute monarchy, after the Verril Act: electoral dichancellorship.
Population: ~40,000,000.
Currency: Thas and Bius.
Inhabitant: Majority human species, later with minority of bestial species.
Main ideology: Sentient Diversification (Multiculturalism) based on Celestial Ditheism.
Constitution: Written, Solar Constitution (Agus-Alandhi).

Septican League

Brief Introduction

A fascist empire loacted at the Western Yura, compromised of 7 realms: Pothyte, Subhura, Khume, Oases, Dherat, Aslau and the Wuh Confederacies. The empire is ruled by a sole dictator, or Lord Septic as His people prefer to entitle Him. His original name is Ewar IV Khalrim, who disputably achieved apotheosis (divination or deification) after confronting the Orthodox Lord Septic during the Veros Occurrence, which time was long forgotten. The empire is currently practicing absolute dictatorship, with strict indoctrination in all aspects of life based on the concept of "sacredness". For example, their doctrine is enforced through a bible-like epic so-called the Sacred Thoughts. Lower administrative position includes the landlordship, in which the role is quite similar to barons during the European Dark Age.

General Information

Capital: Pang Eyol Khunuh, Realm of Khume.
Language(s): Sacred Tongue (Reformed West Pahimutan through enforcement), minor languages etc.
Religion: Septicanism (Khalrimic Creed).
Government: Absolute theocratic dictatorship.
Population: ~38,000,000.
Currency: Ishlar.
Inhabitant: Human species, presumably "New Middle Race" (are enforced through 'racial neutralization').
Main Ideology: Primitive Embracery (Monoculturalism) based on Daluunic Etiologies.
Constitution: Written, Sacred Tenets.

Nelha - Realm of Unknown

Nelha (Ne- meaning 'very', -lha meaning 'mystery' in Yawish language), a mysterious continent where the bestiality is rumored to thrive abundantly. Legend told that the land sits far south from their premises, where time and space are said to be distorted due to the sentient disturbances. This creates curiosity and interests among the leagues, assume that such land will be beneficial for their respective empires. In the mean time, the mystical land also induces their doubts of its very nature of unknown, things or even God-knows-what beyond their knowledge and expectation. Still, in the first phase of the Invasion of Nelha (around NT 404), both sides successfully conquer the coastal regions north of the continent. Gradually, they colonize the regions to become Septican Nelha and Acholian Nelha respectively, where conflicts periodically occur between rival colonies...

Will be Continued

In the next continuing post, I will discuss more about the chronology of the Nelhan Theatre, why the colonists failed to advance deeper into The Deepest, mysterious diseases that cause mutation among human colonists and more. By the way, I gladly receive any constructive feedbacks regarding my WIP. Any opinions or ideas would be indeedly obliged.

Appreciated for your kindly reading! :)

Last edited:

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
a mysterious continent where the bestiality is rumored to thrive abundantly.

:(

...I know what continent I will stay far away from.

But in all seriousness, I read through your summary and I am intrigued. You've done some great worldbuilding here and none of it seems contrived or out of place. If you have any specific worldbuilding things you wish feedback on, than I am happy to help. Just let me know.

WooHooMan

Auror
Sorry, I can't find this interesting because there is so much in-universe vocabulary that most of this text is the literary equivalent of white noise.

:(

...I know what continent I will stay far away from.

But in all seriousness, I read through your summary and I am intrigued. You've done some great worldbuilding here and none of it seems contrived or out of place. If you have any specific worldbuilding things you wish feedback on, than I am happy to help. Just let me know.

Firstly I apologize for my white noise writings. I should have been more specific towards a certain subject. The theme surrounds this post is basically a mutual war between the two colonial empires and a "victim" faction. The terms I have used seem to be confusing to the first readers who have no idea what I am talking about. For that I judge myself for my own neglecting of others trying to understand my meaning of the post. In each colonial empire, I have been trying to insert as many details as I can without summarizing what I really want to emphasize about.

Therefore, some of my basic questions remain:

- The mutual conflict between monoculturalism vs multiculturalism towards the exotic indigenous people of the foreign land, how does this kind of struggle affect the aspects of life of the bestial natives of Nelha?
- How does the bestial inhabitants react with the arrival of outsiders?
- How do the human policies enforced through the colonial doctrines affect the primitive way of bestial lifestyle?

Thank you for your sincere reply. :3

Sorry, I can't find this interesting because there is so much in-universe vocabulary that most of this text is the literary equivalent of white noise.

Firstly, I apologize for my good-for-nothing white noise writings. I should have been more specific and aware of the sake of others trying to understand my post. Hence, my basic questions are provided through my reply with Banten.