• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cover art for Chalice and Knives

I'll be publishing my second short story on Amazon, hopefully tonight. The title is Chalice and Knives, and here's the cover art I've made for it:

cover-500x800-85.jpg

Suggestions are welcome, of course; the wonderful thing about self-publishing ebooks is that you can change the art after the fact!

And no, I'm not going to put a chalice on the cover. ;)

If possible, I would mute the background of the knife, and overall reduce the sheer spread of colors used here. The pallet has too many colors, and it is too busy for my taste. There is too much attention on the pictures and not enough focus on the title.

Sent from my NOVO7PALADIN using Forum Runner

If possible, I would mute the background of the knife, and overall reduce the sheer spread of colors used here. The pallet has too many colors, and it is too busy for my taste. There is too much attention on the pictures and not enough focus on the title.

Hm, good point on the knife. Actually I think the knife itself needs some flattening. And maybe I should just get rid of the supernova effect. It's attention-grabbing but as you say, it makes things a bit busy.

the background to the knife kills it for me, its like you have this balanced cover, and then its 'ooh look we have a knife too'.

if you cut the knife out so its superimposed over the face without that band of blue would look a whole lot better :)

the background to the knife kills it for me, its like you have this balanced cover, and then its 'ooh look we have a knife too'.

if you cut the knife out so its superimposed over the face without that band of blue would look a whole lot better :)

The background is actually part of the image with the woman's face; she's holding up a cloth/veil in front of her face. (Original here.) So there isn't any more of her face to use. But the knife background can definitely be changed to something less strange. I'll think about that too. Thanks! :D

Telcontar

Staff
May be part of the original image, but really jarring on this one. I agree with the rest of them - that blue part of the image has to go.

Also - and this may be just the literal part of my brain acting up - you have a title like "Chalice and Knives" and you have a picture of a knife, but no chalice. It throws me off a bit.

Last edited:

JCFarnham

Auror
I don't know about everyone else, but I've found the chalice. Very symbolic representation mind you ...

Alternatively I could be barking up the wrong tree, but "knife" and "chalice" have other various and some times obscure connotations.

Telcontar

Staff
Yeah... I noticed that too, but I didn't want to mention it for fear of being labelled a complete ass. I'll settle for partial.