• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cover for Mythic Guide to Characters

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hey guys,

I've got a new book coming out soon, entitled The Mythic Guide to Characters. It's a new approach to character creation and development.

Here's the cover that I'm planning to use:

cover-400x600.jpg

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Sparkie

Auror
I like it. One minor point that may not matter, the line that cuts behind the word 'characters.' (Looks like the edge of the table to me.) It's not too distracting, just thought I'd point it out.

Other than that, two thumbs up!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
One minor point that may not matter, the line that cuts behind the word 'characters.' (Looks like the edge of the table to me.)

Thanks for catching that!

I hadn't noticed that on my monitor, but it is more obvious on my iPod. I was able to apply a feathering effect to make the line less noticeable.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Here's a revised version, with the line that cuts behind Characters (see post #5) reduced and gently feathered away:

cover-400x6002.jpg

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Here's another version, which has the background completely blackened. I think that it gives the masks even more "pop," if you get what I mean:

cover-400x6003.jpg

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I think I like the one in #7 better... flat black backgrounds tend to be too hard... a bit of texture on the whole background is better I think.
I like the concept of this cover, it is very clear, so the text/title is well readable. Yet it still has the nicely detailed masks to create visual interest.
Very much looking forward to the book!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think that I'm going to end up going with the version in post #8, which is the one with the background removed. The faint background in #7 looks wildly different between display devices. The image in #8 looks the same in every device that I try, and I like consistency. :)

Ravana

Istar
Rocks. Great colors, good thematic choice. Two notes:

(1) The way the text is laid out, the upper right corner ends up unbalanced. Not sure if there's anything good to do about that: centering "the" would balance it, though I don't know if that would be much of a gain overall.

(2) Is there a way to remove the black bar behind your name? That is, does the table in the image continue downward, so that your name can appear over it instead? That won't be an option if it doesn't continue far enough that your name would end up appearing over the masks… but I find the black bar a bit jarring: it's the only thing interrupting the flow of the cover as a whole.

P.S. Plus one from the better half:

(3) It should be "Antonio del Drago, Ph.D" (or whichever letters are appropriate, at any rate… unless you're trying to conceal your actual degree ;) ).

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
This is exactly the style of cover that captures my eyes and my attention in a bookstore, it's perfect and you have my best wishes for the great sales and success of your new book =)

What is it about, a guide that explains how to create Fantasy characters??

My favourite version would be the one in post #8, and I think that Dr. Antonio del Drago looks and sounds better than Antonio del Drago, Ph.D.

Reaver

Staff
Very cool! The masks give it a feel of mystery...it makes me want to see what's behind them, i.e. beyond the book cover. Great symbolism!

Mindfire

Istar
I don't know... looks a little too "50 Shady" to me. I like the color scheme though. I'd use a different image- hot metal on an anvil or something like that.