• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Craft Questions #4: Theme

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
This is the 4th installment of Craft Questions discussing the topic of theme. Theme is probably the most nebulous of the elements of craft, but is nonetheless still important. If you'd like to discuss character, plot, and setting, there are threads for that as well.

1. What kind of themes do you like to read about?
2. What kind of themes do you like to include in your own stories?
3. Do you think about your theme before you begin writing or let it grow organically?
4. How do you reveal your theme without being too heavy-handed?
5. What kind of literary devices do you like to use?
6. What do you think is the most commonly used theme in fantasy writing? Why is it so prevalent?

Only six questions this time. It's hard to come up with questions discussing theme...:)

1. I tend to like to read revenge stories. Or stories where someone is wronged and they must redeem themselves in some way.

2. Same as above. I like cyclical themes. Like everything comes back and connects in some way.

3. I typically have a vague idea of what my theme is going to be (stepping out of someone else's shadow, revenge, coming of age, etc.) before I start writing, but I often just see what happens. Then if I see a strong theme emerging, I'll go back and add more to beef it up.

4. I think beginning writers may think they need to dump their theme in the reader's lap. "This story is about a young boy on his quest to find himself." Sometimes it's hard not to do that, but I guess if I focus on other elements of the story, the theme should shine through on its own without me spelling everything out.

5. I really love the idea of Chekhov's gun. Showing something early in the story and having its purpose later revealed down the line. Even introducing characters who may seem relatively minor at the beginning but have a purpose later. I use foreshadowing a lot, but I try not to be too direct with it.

6. The most commonly used theme in fantasy seems to be "saving the world/princess/etc." It's a good theme at its heart, but it's been done so many times, it's hard to take a story seriously that deals with these themes. If the other elements of the story shine, then I think this theme can work, but for the most part, it doesn't work for me anymore. Also "power corrupts" seems to be a common theme in Martin's work, so I expect to see more political wrangling in writers who are trying to emulate him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Good triumphing over evil, heroes doing everything in their power to do what's right, the power of friendship and/or love.

The importance of family, doing what's right no matter the cost, good triumphing over evil (most of the time), redemption

3. Do you think about your theme before you begin writing or let it grow organically?
They always seem to grow organically.

Through character interaction. No long-winded speeches expounding the theme, just ordinary dialogue and actions.

Chekhov's guns, foreshadowing, anti-heroes and anti-villains.

6. What do you think is the most commonly used theme in fantasy writing? Why is it so prevalent?
Definitely the "good triumphs over evil" one, because it's very black-and-white, and a lot of people don't like grey areas in their stories.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team

The true cost of heroism. The unseen, unacknowledged hero.

None of my themes are purposefully put in, but I tend to find that I gravitate toward themes of self discovery, finding one's true path.

As stated above, they come out on their own.

Tricky. I try to focus on things that echo and accentuate the theme but I don't linger. I try to be subtle. The theme's already there. No need to put red flags and flashing lights around it.

ILDMNs, Improvises Literary Devices of Mass Narration.

Untapped/unknown potential. Everybody wishes they could be more than they are. "I could have been a contender. I could have been somebody instead of a...."

Ophiucha

Auror
I am bothered far more than I should be by the lack of "#4" in the title.

It may seem rather odd given the fact that I am a very cynical person in real life, but I generally prefer optimistic stories. Not that I don't like pessimistic stories. I often love them. But optimism is preferable. That doesn't mean I don't want it dark, but I want it to be hopeful. In a narrower sense, I like stories that deal with the consequences of fantasy. The reality of a world with widespread magic. Reality in fantasy, in general. I like close-to-home stories that I can relate more to than the sprawling epics, so I often find grander themes better suited for a philosophy book than my casual reading. I like themes of sacrifice, simplicity, and family. Oddly, though, I can't say I enjoy coming-of-age stories much.

I daresay we've covered the fact that I'll always answer this question the same way I answered the first question in the previous 3 craft questions. I write what I read.

I usually have a theme in mind when I'm planning and writing the first couple of drafts, but I think other themes develop over time while I'm writing the story. Obviously parallels are made in the planning stages. One of my stories deals a lot with the nature of immortality, so there are about six immortal characters, who are all immortal in slightly different ways, and nearly all of them die (if only temporarily, in two cases).

I tend not to 'reveal' it at all, it just sort of exists. Usually in the form of parallels. Common traits between two or more characters. It's how I prefer to develop a theme, personally. I never state the theme, or likely even mention it. In the above example, at no point do my characters discuss the nature of immortality and death, but you'd have to be a bit blind to not notice that half of the characters are immortal.

I have a fondness for juxtaposition.

Good versus evil is certainly a popular one, I imagine at least in part because realism is not a priority in a story that features dragons and wizards. Heroism, since you can have a traditional hero in fantasy rather easily. Certainly a high school romance novel could have a hero, who perhaps beats up some would-be sexual harasser jock types or something, but the traditional image of the hero is very medieval, and given the medieval nature of most fantasy, the two go hand in hand.

The Hero that the world hates, doesn't know about that get's no respect from anyone. Bad guys are in the politics of the world, pulling it down from the centre and out. (A good example is the Inheritance Cycle)

I try to emphasise on the differences between Heart, Soul & Mind.

Just let it grow.

You don't reveal it. Or you don't reveal it deliberatley anyway. When I start a story my aim is to finish it and then, when I read the finished version, it seems to have a theme I hadn't realised was there.

Whatever. It depends on what I'm writing

Probably the whole 'unexpected hero' thing. It probably stays so popular because of the ways that it can be manuplated and used to different effects to either end happily, not so happily or just painfully.