• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Darkest Dungeon

Gryphos

Auror
Do you like RPGs? Do you like tactical turn-based combat? Do you like Lovecraftian horror? Then do yourself a favour and check out Darkest Dungeon. This game is too sick. It's basically an dungeon-based RPG which utilises stress mechanics (your adventurers will suffer stress during their quests which can lead to all sorts of gameplay-affecting quirks) and a Lovecraftian aesthetic. What's not to like?

I'll drop the release trailer here for you guys.

One of the things I love about this game is the combat. Not just mechanically (though it is a very in-depth and well-constructed system), but also the way in which it has a really — I don't know how to describe it — tactile and impactful feeling to it. When you click on the attack you want to do, you feel the force of the attack and I swear I find myself grunting every time I do an attack. It's probably something to do with the animation and sound design. Whatever it is, it's great.

And the stress mechanics are also a lot of fun. Over a few hours some of your adventurers will just be mentally a wreck. One of mine is a knight who's a compulsive, god-fearing, human-fearing, lyophobic kleptomaniac. He's also one of my best guys!

Seriously though, you should totally check this game out.

Last edited by a moderator: