• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Darth Vader to return in next Star Wars film?

I could see someone else wearing the armor, but not Anakin...unless they go sideways and back instead of forwards in time.

Additionally, I know one of my Spectrum art books has artwork featuring a dark side Luke Skywalker being defeated by Leia.

God, I hope not. I think it would be kinda sad if Disney is really insecure enough to raise a beloved popculture icon from his grave just to sell a Star Wars movie rather than, you know, actually trying to create a new one. At some point you have to let go of the nostalgia and actually dare look to the future.

Besides, I personally think that Vader is just a bit overrated as a villain. A great character, sure, but kinda dull. Not really one of my favourites.

“He’s an integral part of the franchise. Replacing him is virtually impossible."

Yeah, no. There's been plenty of pretty good Star Wars stories that didn't feature him. He's not really that essential.

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Lucas took a giant shit on the Star Wars franchise by allowing Episodes I, II & III to see the light of day just so he could make a little money, so why wouldn't the Disney juggernaut do something as perverse?

This just reminds me of how often the Doctor Who series has resurrected the Master from the grave.

I mean, he's gone through not just 13 incarnations, but more than one regeneration cycle and has come back from being dead-dead (as opposed to Time-Lord-regenerating-dead or zombie-dead).

This just reminds me of how often the Doctor Who series has resurrected the Master from the grave.

I mean, he's gone through not just 13 incarnations, but more than one regeneration cycle and has come back from being dead-dead (as opposed to Time-Lord-regenerating-dead or zombie-dead).

Closed arc of a set of movies, as opposed to ongoing TV. Except the marketers don't know the difference.

Jess A

Archmage

Not to mention the Daleks.

I would like to see them take up the series with the Timothy Zhan trilogy. As far as I know, they were the first books written in the larger Star Wars universe. The books start out with Han and Leia being pregnant with twins, and a Grand Admiral from the outer rim reuniting the remnants of the empire. The books were really well done and would translate easily to film. Problem is getting a cast together that could play the characters 5 years after A New Hope. I don't think Carey Fischer, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are up to the task (maybe Harrison Ford, but def not the others).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think they said the new movie would be an all-new story and wouldn't follow any books in the EU. Which is too bad.

I think they said the new movie would be an all-new story and wouldn't follow any books in the EU. Which is too bad.

The last article I read on this said the same thing. The storyline would be original. (although I am sure they will borrow ideas!)

Mindfire

Istar
I think what they mean is that they're going to create a new villain in the spirit of Darth Vader, which isn't a bad idea. Either that or they're making an alternate universe, which also isn't a bad idea.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Or they could have a new sith find Anakin's old suit or construct a new on as an homage. So not only in the spirit but looking just like Vader. Maybe he'll even adopt the Vader name to invoke fear.

I think what they mean is that they're going to create a new villain in the spirit of Darth Vader, which isn't a bad idea. Either that or they're making an alternate universe, which also isn't a bad idea.

oooo! Let's go comic book/anime on Star Wars! Alternate universes could be fun!

Speaking of comic books, I've heard that the one possible big loser in all this is Dark Horse.

Or they could have a new sith find Anakin's old suit or construct a new on as an homage. So not only in the spirit but looking just like Vader. Maybe he'll even adopt the Vader name to invoke fear.

I doubt they will be able to find his suit...unless he had multiple suits available.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just droided out and had 987235897345 suits. If technology improved as well, or with some sort of clone tech, they might be able to have the droids have force powers as well. That would be cool. That would probably be the route I went.

Mindfire

Istar
Hopefully we'll get to see some real Jedi in the new movies. It always mystified me that Jedi in the films were so weak, especially in the Original Trilogy. I'd like to see Jedi who are more on level with the powers we see in the Force Unleashed. Now that'd be awesome. Jedi who can do stuff like this:

Now THAT's more like it!

Last edited by a moderator:

ALB2012

Maester
Not to mention the Daleks.

Yes but Dr Who is a Time Lord and so the Daleks or the Master can escape sideways, backwards or diagonally as it were.

Ok this is going to make me look like a complete geek but didn't the Emperor come back, his spirit came back and inhabited a clone? Not sure which book though.

ALB2012

Maester
I doubt they will be able to find his suit...unless he had multiple suits available.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just droided out and had 987235897345 suits. If technology improved as well, or with some sort of clone tech, they might be able to have the droids have force powers as well. That would be cool. That would probably be the route I went.

Technically you have to be alive to have force powers so droids don't get them, well apart from R2D2... but he is R2.
I know in the RPG cyborgs like Vader gained more darkside points due to the "corruption" of the cyberware.
Ok I am off to sit in the geek corner now:)

Technically you have to be alive to have force powers so droids don't get them, well apart from R2D2... but he is R2.
I know in the RPG cyborgs like Vader gained more darkside points due to the "corruption" of the cyberware.
Ok I am off to sit in the geek corner now:)

Right that's why I mentioned the clone tech...do clones get force powers? Grievous was a very droidy cyborg.

.....wait, R2 gets force powers?

ALB2012

Maester
Right that's why I mentioned the clone tech...do clones get force powers? Grievous was a very droidy cyborg.

Not exactly. I used to GM Starwars RPG and I know droids couldnt get force points (not powers only jedi get those) but R2 did have force points. I think R2 was...well R2 he was not the same as other droids. Only living things can connect to the force. Some were more sensitive that others.

Clones- in theory yes. Although they would probably be rubbish jedis. You probably don't want to think about Boba Fett with force powers.