• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Delayed introduction

Aldarion

Archmage
Guys over at The Quiet Isle convinced me to actually introduce myself, so I'll just copy-paste:

Aldarion here.

I was born in 1992., in Croatia. I fell in love with Lord of the Rings back in early 2000s. I believe it was after seeing Return of the King in cinema back in 2003. that I went to library with mother and borrowed Lord of the Rings books. Ever since then, those books were definitely my favourite piece of literature.

Lord of the Rings made me fall in love with fantasy, while my grandfather made me fall in love with history. Long story short, this was my favourite reading back when I was a child - before discovering Lord of the Rings, that is:

This interest expanded. I also read the Hobbit, Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, as well as expanding my interest to fantasy in general - which is how I eventually discovered Justin Cronin's Passage, but I digress. As for history, I remained in love with Roman Empire, but also expanded that interest onto Croatian-Ottoman wars (I'm Croatian, after all), and eventually included Byzantine Empire. Which is how I ended up with a collection of half-a-dozen Byzantine military manuals on my computer table (always at hand...).

My current reading list includes [i]The Videssos Cycle[/i], [i]The Stormlight Archive[/i], [i]Vampire Earth[/i], [i]Codex Alera[/i] and [i]A Song of Ice and Fire[/i]. I have already skimmed through some of these, but I have not read any of them from beginning to the end. Which is an interesting feature of my reading style - I tend to skip through the book without much logical order, and it is not rare for it to happen that I have already read the whole book by the time I actually start [i]reading[/i] the book... if you get what I mean.

As for movies, my favourite movies are [i]Vikings (1958)[/i], [i]Spartacus (1960)[/i], [i]Jumanji (1995)[/i], [i]Lord of the Rings (2000s)[/i], [i]Chronicles of Narnia (2000s)[/i], [i]Pirates of the Carribean (2000s)[/i] and [i]Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013)[/i]. As for TV series, the honour would go to [i]Hornblower (1998)[/i], [i]Master and Commander (2003)[/i] and [i]Game of Thrones (2011)[/i].

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well-met Aldarion
Nice to "officially" meet you (y)
That looks like what I'd call an Osprey book. I think I borrowed all my local library had to offer several times over as I grew up.
I'm with you for the Kirk Douglas movies [especially Spartacus!!!] and Hornblower. I've never found the appeal of GoT. I watched the first 4 season and then realised I wasn't enjoying it so I stopped.
See you around...:)

Aldarion

Archmage
Hail and well-met Aldarion
Nice to "officially" meet you (y)
That looks like what I'd call an Osprey book. I think I borrowed all my local library had to offer several times over as I grew up.
I'm with you for the Kirk Douglas movies [especially Spartacus!!!] and Hornblower. I've never found the appeal of GoT. I watched the first 4 season and then realised I wasn't enjoying it so I stopped.
See you around...:)

It is definitely something like an Osprey book. Nice information, nice illustrations, but nowhere as dense as scientific literature. So of course, I spent time reading and re-reading it as a kid.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I saw you mention Hornblower and Master & Commander. Have you read O'Brian's books, Aldarion? I think they might be your cuppa.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
He's widely regarded as writing the most accurate depiction of navy life, sailing, and naval battles for the Napoleonic period. It was his life's work. When searching, note that it's O'Brian and not O'Brien.