• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dictionary.com

Ghost

Inkling
I usually use OneLook, which is kind of like an aggregate dictionary, so it pulls up links to other online dictionaries, including Dictionary.com. OneLook is a good place to get a general idea of a word or to find a word I can't remember. I love the reverse dictionary and wildcard functions. For example, typing ":remember word" pulls up over 100 results, and the 5th result is lethologica which is "The inability to remember the correct word." Too bad it's not more common because I like having a word for that.

Dictionary.com is a really good place to get to know a word better with the etymology, related forms, synonyms, and examples. It's really nice to have it all on one page. It's a tad busy for me, though. I like dictionaries to be clean. It looks like they updated Merriam-Webster, but it's still got ads on it.

I like Wiktionary and Online Etymology Dictionary, too...

Is there a limit on how many favorite dictionaries we're allowed to have? :eek:

Last edited:

lawrence

Troubadour
I am a fan of Dictionary.com too, been useful lots of times. Though yes I agree with Ghost, the ads are distractedly prominent.

Lavender

Minstrel
Dictionary.com also has a quiz game called Word Dynamo. It's really fun if you enjoy learning new words and refreshing your memory about others you already know. Quite helpful to writers, I recommend it.

ethgania

Dreamer
Oh man, this reminded me that when my student account with my University is closed up in a couple months (since I just graduated) I won't have free OED access anymore! Sadface =(

Jadeynot

Hi,I'm Jadeynot, thought i'd check out this forum, ineeded this dictionary tips. thank you very much. I'm going to lovethis forum and this site.