• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do people even read high fantasy anymore?

Alex

Troubadour
Do readers even bother reading things like high fantasy with elves and magic and swords anymore, or is it more worth just writing as a hobby?

Do readers even bother reading things like high fantasy with elves and magic and swords anymore, or is it more worth just writing as a hobby?

Nah, there's plenty of it out there. It isn't getting as much attention these days because of A Song of Ice and Fire's rise, so you hear a lot about dark, gritty, "realistic" fantasy instead. But there's still plenty out there.

Yes, unless I'm not people. In which case, I'm either a robot or a god... I hope its the second one.

Well, when someone asks if you're a god, what do you say?

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Alex said:
Thanks everyone, I needed a confidence boost!

We're all in that boat most of the time. Ive just never bothered to get out. But, yes, people still read High Fantasy - not as much as they should, but still! ;p

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I don't think high fantasy really waned in popularity at all, it's just Martin and writers like him have stirred up some new excitement in what was considered a high percentage, high fantasy market. I think high fantasy, for people that don't know much about fantasy, is considered "generic fantasy." Dragons, knights, maidens to be rescued, worlds to be saved, etc . However, I think if done correctly, it can be way better than even some of the more popular gritty stuff.

SeverinR

Vala
The spotlight is off of Fantasy right now, but there have always been people that read fantasy.
"LOTR" brought the spotlight back to fantasy, I believe "The Hobbit" will do it again.

Star wars brought the spotlight to sci-fi.

No matter what the public spotlight is on, all genres still have a following, some stronger than other but I doubt any genre will cease to exist.

Of COURSE people still read high fantasy. There's a pretty decent, dedicated fandom, even if the genre isn't popular at the moment. The first section I go to in the library/bookstore is the fantasy section. And besides, we're all fantasy writers here. What are we going to say? That no one enjoys reading fantasy?

Queshire

Istar
Personally, and somewhat ashamedly, I tend to not read much high fantasy. When I do read it I tend to enjoy it, but most high fantasy just doesn't catch my eye enough for me to read it. I'm the same with sci-fi, when I read it I enjoy it, but getting me to read it takes some work.

I can't really explain it well, but the most important thing is to make your book seem like not "Just Another" fantasy book. Twist something, do something different, show the bad guy's perspective, have a guy from our world get sent to your world and take over the world with SCIENCE!!! Have the princess go out and slay the dragon. Play with our expectations, SHOW US SOMETHING DIFFERENT ONCE IN A BLOODY WHILE!!!

Konstanz

Minstrel
There are still plenty of people that read high fantasy although personally I think that genres like low fantasy (only humans, limited magic) and dark fantasy (subgenre where moral ambiguity and world problems are the main themes) are more popular right now. The problem with that is that a lot of low quality high fantasy books are churned out every year and it's really hard to find something word reading. I don't seem to have that problem with dark fantasy (my all-time favorite).

Dark fantasy is becoming more and more popular. A lot of new games are based in worlds like that (best example I can think of is the Dragon Age series). The only High Fantasy game that is really popular is WoW...

But it's not about games here and forgive my short deviation from the subject. What I wanted to say is: it doesn't matter if your genre is still popular, if it's good, people will read it.

Personally, and somewhat ashamedly, I tend to not read much high fantasy. When I do read it I tend to enjoy it, but most high fantasy just doesn't catch my eye enough for me to read it. I'm the same with sci-fi, when I read it I enjoy it, but getting me to read it takes some work.

I can't really explain it well, but the most important thing is to make your book seem like not "Just Another" fantasy book. Twist something, do something different, show the bad guy's perspective, have a guy from our world get sent to your world and take over the world with SCIENCE!!! Have the princess go out and slay the dragon. Play with our expectations, SHOW US SOMETHING DIFFERENT ONCE IN A BLOODY WHILE!!!

Traditional doesn't mean "rehashed." It's all about execution and even a timeless theme done well will find an audience. I think my books are being received as well as they are because I'm not following the current dark and gritty trends. My heroes are unlikely, but ultimately will do the right thing. Write characters that are beliveable and that people enjoy being around and they'll be happy campters. Plus, never underestimate the power of using expectations against the reader. In my first book the I make the "bad guy" someone that everyone expects to be so, because it has happened often in the past. But in the second book...you find out that who I told you was the culprit really wasn't. So don't be afraid to lead people to a well worn path just to trap them into a surprise.

The problem with high fantasy is the vast amount of it, and the never ending series that go with them. Nothing like looking through the books and seeing 'Book 8'...I skip it without a second thought. They used to come in trilogies, but the cycle has taken over, and how many of those do I want to get into and wait around for book 12 or 15? I have plenty of never ending stuff on tv I don't watch.

I'll echo the write it well and you'll have readers, no matter what kind of fantasy.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I agree about the predominance of series. I skip them for the most part, at least until they are complete. They do seem to be popular though.

I'll swear on whatever holy books are available that my current novel is the first in a trilogy, and will absolutely under no circumstances run longer than that. ;)

Ghost

Inkling
People read it and like it. But apparently crime fiction is the real seller.

I thought it was romance? I need to make a romantic crime fantasy now. :cool:

I don't enjoy high fantasy as much as other types. To me, so much of it retreads old ground. Plenty of people out there enjoy it, though. It's my belief that at any given time of day, dozens of people are writing about elves.

Even if everyone in this thread hated high fantasy, it wouldn't really matter. You've got to write what you love. That's where the magic comes from.

Link

Acolyte
I read the fantasy which I know will be enjoyable to read. I don't even pick up a book off the shelf if it has a picture of loose women holding swords and posing in a way similar to gogo girls. Good fantasy writing is well thought out and well researched. My favorites are LOTR, Tolkien, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and Green Rider by Kristen Britain. All those are wonderful books. Once I started reading Rothfuss, I was completely immersed in it, and that's what fantasy should do.

Also, everyone needs to be somewhere they have never been and fantasy writing does that. To write fantasy, you have to read fantasy. Especially the new fantasy because those authors are making something work right now, so you might as well want to know what it is that made them successful.