• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do the regions for my Transitory Planes make sense?

This thread is related to a previous thread that I posted regarding my Cosmic Compass system. In this thread, I'm going to be discussing the way the Transitory Planes are divided up into layers in order to get feedback from people on if they make sense. In particular, I'd like to know if the naming conventions for the different regions work or not and get suggestions for alternatives that might work.

Shape of the Transitory Planes: Every Transitory Plane is a perfect sphere. The different regions of each plane are similar in concept to the layers of the earth.

iu

Size of the Transitory Planes: Each Transitory Plane has a radius of 10,000,000,000 km and a diameter of 20,000,000,000 km.

The Cores of the Transitory Planes: I'm not sure what the Cores are, but they have a radius of 1 km and a diameter of 2 km. As the name suggests, the Cores are at the very heart of each of the Transitory Planes, making them the origin point of the three axes that run between the poles of the Cosmic Compass.

Layers of the Transitory Planes: No matter what the composition of the Transitory Plane, the same basic arrangement of layers is present. I'll give the boundaries of each of these regions (that is, where they start and stop on the radius of the planes) and elaborate a bit on what each one is like, at least in terms of the aspects these regions have in common on the different Transitory Planes. Keep in mind, I'm looking for feedback on these and suggestions for other names to give them. (In some cases, I don't really have any name for them yet.) I'll specify the average presence of Abominations within the region by stating the ratio of Abominations to normal organisms. Abominations are eldritch creatures of a Lovecraftian variety. You do not want to deal with these things.

Inner Core Region
Inner Boundary: 1 km
Outer Boundary: 20,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: None
Ratio of Normal Organisms to Abominations: No Abominations are known to dwell in the Inner Core Regions.
Basic Description: The region immediately surrounding the Core. Difficult to reach, largely due to few direct routes and a complete absence of portals

Middle Core Region
Inner Boundary: 10,000 km
Outer Boundary: 100,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Very high
Ratio of Normal Organisms to Abominations: 10,000:1
Basic Description: This Region is where most of the portals to planets in the nine galaxies that serve as the primary settings for my stories are found. The portals are clustered together in areas that reflect the arrangement of the galaxies on the Celestial Plane. That is, portals that lead to planets in the central galaxy are in clusters around the boundaries of the Inner Core Regions, portals to the north galaxy are found in clusters in the "north" part of the Middle Core Region, and so on.

Outer Core Region
Inner Boundary: 100,000 km
Outer Boundary: 1,000,000
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Very high
Ratio of Normal Organisms to Abominations: 1,000:1
Basic Description: This region has portals to galaxies outside the main nine I previously mentioned. There are some portals that connect to the nine galaxies, but they are in the minority. This is where you begin to encounter the occasional Abomination, but they're usually only traveling through these parts of the Transitory Planes.

The Barrier Region
Inner Boundary: 1,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 100,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: High
Ratio of Normal Organisms to Abominations: 100:1
Basic Description: This region acts as a bit of a buffer between the Core Regions of the Transitory Planes and the Eldritch Regions. Most of the portals connect to more remote galaxies on the Celestial Plane and not many connect to the nine galaxies where most of my characters reside. While there are more Abominations encountered, the majority are also just traveling through the region.

Eldritch Region 1
Inner Boundary: 100,000,000 km
Outer Boundary:1,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Moderately high amount
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 1:1
Basic Description: The first of the Eldritch Regions, this is where at least half of all creatures are Abominations, and half of these are residents, not traveling through the region.

Eldritch Region 2
Inner Boundary: 1,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 2,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Moderate amount
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 2:1
Basic Description: The second Eldritch Region is where the Abominations start to become dominant. The majority of these are residents of the Transitory Planes and only venture to the Celestial Plane occasionally, usually returning once they have completed whatever the intended to do there. Hardly any Abominations are travelers. The portals in this region rarely connect to the nine galaxies.

Eldritch Region 3
Inner Boundary: 2,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 3,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Moderate amount
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 3:1
Basic Description: Strangely, while the total number of portals in this region is only moderate, there is a small increase in the number that connect to the nine galaxies, totally 1% of the portals present. The Abominations here rarely bother normal organisms that are native to the Transitory Planes, but will seek out and kill any that are from other planes.

Eldritch Zone 4
Inner Boundary: 3,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 4,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Moderately low amount
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 4:1
Basic Description: Once again, while the number of portals decreases, the number of portals leading to the nine galaxies slightly increases, making up 3% of the total. The number of sapient Abominations goes up, but their civilizations, though more numerous, are deliberately spread far apart.

Eldritch Zone 5
Inner Boundary: 4,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 5,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Moderately low amount
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 5:1
Basic Description: While the ratio of Abominations does increase and the size and strength of their civilizations goes up dramatically, this region is where the total number of organisms, normal or otherwise, begins to decrease. Less than 1% of the fewer portals in this region connect to the nine galaxies.

Eldritch Zone 6
Inner Boundary: 5,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 6,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Low
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 10:1
Basic Description: This is where the total number of organisms takes a steep dive. Civilizations here are few and very far between. Only a tenth of 1% of the portals here connect to the nine galaxies.

Eldritch Zone 7
Inner Boundary: 6,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 7,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Rather low
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 100:1
Basic Description: Same rate of decline in organism here. Abomination civilizations are usually quite isolationist.

Eldritch Zone 8
Inner Boundary: 7,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 8,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Very low
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 1,000:1
Basic Description: Almost no portals in these regions connect to the nine galaxies but the few Abomination civilizations that do reside here are of an expansionist mindset.

Eldritch Zone 9
Inner Boundary: 8,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 9,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Extremely low
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: 50,000:1
Basic Description: These regions are places even Abominations from the inner Eldritch Zones prefer to avoid because the Abominations found here are usually very big and very powerful.

Eldritch Zone 10
Inner Boundary: 9,000,000,000 km
Outer Boundary: 10,000,000,000 km
Presence of Portals to other Planes: Barely any
Ratio of Abominations to Normal Organisms: No normal organisms are present in this region.
Basic Description: Only a dozen or so people from the nine galaxies have set foot in these regions in all of recorded history. Hardly anything lives here, but the Abominations that are present are the most powerful of all.

And I think that just about does it for now. So, what do you guys think? Does this all make sense to you? Also, do you have any suggestions for what to call the different Eldritch Regions? i think something better than "Eldritch Region 1" would be good, but I'm a bit stumped on what to name them. Anyway, I look forward to your feedback!

Keep moving forward!
Patrick Leigh​