• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you blog your WIP?

Is it a good idea to blog your WIP?

• YES

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • NO

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

rhd

Troubadour
Just to clarify, I've started a journal with a word count and thought process for my fantasy novel instead of the usual scribble notebook, one that kind of resembles a bullet journal. It includes a map and concept art, things that I've visualised. I've found a bullet journal extremely helpful in my daily life and this one is specifically for my writing, to keep things organised instead of the usual disconnected notes. To give an example of what I mean, here is a inspiring post on Tor.com:
Bullet Journaling as a Fantasy Writer
I did this when I was stuck and it helped. Now, I'm thinking of blogging my process because the journaling did get me out of a three year funk. Does anyone else blog their process? Did it help or hinder you? Did you actually manage to build an audience? Is it a bad idea to put your ideas out there in such a raw form?

Insolent Lad

Maester
I tend to blog some, give updates, talk about my ideas, etc. Not a dedicated blog for the current WIP however. Updates on my Facebook author page, at Twitter, even sometimes here. And at my writing-oriented blogs, though those are not specific to any one work of fiction. It can be useful to write out your ideas and thoughts as you go. I feel it creates a sort of symbiosis with the narrative I am writing, helping me to see more clearly what I am attempting to achieve. Even when I don't publish it.

Yes, it is a way to hook possible buyers and readers before the work is finished or published. Get 'em early! Some are interested in the process, some aren't, but it doesn't hurt any to put some stuff out there.