• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you ever waffle back and forth on the tone of your manuscript?

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I'm finding this terribly frustrating.

Sometimes I envision it as a sweeping, unabashed epic High fantasy.

Sometimes I envision it as a dark and etherial Lovecraftian psychological fantasy.

Sometimes I envision it as a Margaret Atwood inspired real world dystopian fantasy.

Sometimes I envision it as a dense and intricate (Dune-type) sci-fi fantasy.

All of which would greatly alter the types of scenes I choose to use, and how I describe them.

At what point do you say 'screw it' and stick with one tone?

MineOwnKing

Maester
Relax,

After you reach 100,000 words your editor will let you know what it is.

You obviously have a fun side that allows your prose to hop along at a good pace. Just be yourself through character dialogue and the feel of the world will fall into place on its own.

Just don't preach. Preachy authors attract a limited following.

Tom

Istar
It seems like the tone of my manuscript changes every time I sit down to write! Sometimes I want it dark and edgy. Other times witty and entertaining. Or sweeping and passionate. Or moody and introspective.

Nearly all the time, though, it turns out disingenuous and about as clear as mud. Bah.

C

Chessie

Heliotrope, have you tried outlining? Even just a simple outline helps keep my direction immensely.

Russ

Istar
It strikes me that you don't yet have a firm grasp of the tale you want to tell if you are swinging that far all over the dial. What is the story really all about? What is the message that you are trying to get across? What is the journey the protagonist is going to take? What are your strengths and weaknesses as a writer. If you have the answer to these questions then the tone should be easier to choose.

Of course there is plenty of room for different tones within the same work, just not quite as varied as your OP list ;-)

I think MOK might have made the comment tongue in cheek, but it is not your editor's job to figure out what you are writing.

And please...no more Atwood...

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Chesterama - Yes. I thought I was outlining, but I had no clue what I was doing, so I purchased some books specifically on outlining. What a difference! I think, generally, I'm a pantser as I find when I just let myself go I come up with my best ideas on the fly. However, outlining has been very helpful in giving me parameters and helping me to define exactly what it is that I'm trying to say.

Russ - You are exactly right. I don't. I'm only figuring that out right now. It is slightly devastating after a year of so-called 'research'. However, I seem to be getting there now, as I do more outlining.