• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you like feudal politics?

Telcontar

Staff
I've recently started playing a game called Crusader Kings II, which is a grand-strategy game set between the 11th and 15 centuries. It deals primarily with politics and warfare, and does so in a beautiful and complex style. You take the role of the head of a familial dynasty and play a succession of characters as each one grows old and dies. You can start as a lowly count or as the Holy Roman Emperor or anything in between, and shape the remainder of history as best you are able.

If you've ever been captivated by the political dealings of a feudal society, you might want to check out this game. There is a demo on Steam for those who want to try before you buy, but if you're anything like me you'll be hooked rather quickly.

It is a fantastic game for the storyteller. I'm currently playing as the Fatimid Empire (it was previously a Sultanate (kingdom) but I "elevated" my titles once I became prestigious and powerful enough). I have defeated two Crusades with the help of grand alliances, then lost Jerusalem to a third (but regained it later). I have faced powerful rebellions and I have assassinated rivals to prevent challenges to my rule. The Mongols have just invaded through Persia, clobbering the Seljuk Turks who have long been my powerful sometimes-allies-sometimes-rivals.

I love this game.

Epaminondas

Scribe
Thanks for the tip. I've been playing Medieval II for a while. Crusader kings sounds like its a very similar game.
My biggest complaint with Medieval is that you can't really control your dynasty very well. I'll have to try that one.

Renos

Minstrel
Hey Crusader Kings II is the best strategy/politics game I played bar none! I started playing with Jamtland and now I am King of Norway and I also own Iceland and somehow I wieseled my way to take the Byzantine Empire (my daughter married the emperor, he died and she was the heir and I was her heir ;)). Great game!

I bought Crusader Kings II when it was on sale on Steam, but I got lost. The tutorial didn't go into as much detail as I hoped, and the only other person I know who plays it lives a thousand miles from me.

Telcontar

Staff
It's a heckuva dense game, that for certain. I'm sure there have to be some decent tutorials out there - the game is well worth getting the hang of.