• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you play old school games?

Reaver

Staff
By old school I mean any game made before and up to 2005. Platform, PC, Mac, whatever.

I'm an old school kind of guy and although I have the latest consoles and a lot of great games, I find myself inexplicably drawn to my faves from the 80's and 90's. I even play a few from the early double ought years.

Anyone else suffer from chronic nostalgia?

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Reaver: you may enjoy this video (though you may have seen it):

Last edited by a moderator:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
To be honest, I don't play old school games. However, I play modern games inspired by old school games. Mostly platformers. I like the kind of games that retain some of the feeling of the old games I played as a kid, but with a lot of modern conveniences such as being able to save your progress and suchlike.

Games I've enjoyed lately that fit this bill are:
- They Bleed Pixels
- The Binding of Isaac
- Trine (the first two)
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Teslagrad

There are plenty of others if you dig around a bit. Steam is a gold mine for these games, and they're mostly quite cheap if you get them on sale.

Reaver

Staff
It's a bunch of shoot em' up games based on this:

I put a link in my previous post to newgrounds.com where you can play tons of games, watch original cartoons and other videos for free. It's a cool site for those rainy days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaver

Staff

Thanks skip. I'm familiar with GOG.com. I've purchased several games from them and they're pretty great. Their customer service and tech support is top tier in my opinion. Never heard of textfiles, but I'll give them a look.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Mostly the only games I play nowadays are Hearthstone and games on the Wii U. But I loved some of the old Super Nintendo RPGs, and I played over some of the Quest for Glory series a few years ago. Quest for Glory was full of puns and jokes, especially at the death scenes - you could die from anything from a monster to "picking your nose" with a low skill level in lockpick, and they tried to make the text box for each death kind of fun and different. I think there's youtube videos of all of the death scenes somewhere.

Hi,

For me it seems that many of the games I play reach a certain level of brilliance and then someone improves them(!) to the point where they turn to crap. So the best Civ to me is Civ 2. Master of Orion 2 was really good - and then they put out 3 and it went mad. I love Nerverwinter Nights 2 but after that it just lost me. And the Heroes of Might and Magic games peaked at 3 and 4. Arcanum is probably my fave of all.

Cheers, Greg.

C

Chessie

We own an old Nintendo and play Super Mario Bros. when we get a wild hair. Gotta get Super Mario Cart though because our son has been asking for it. :)

La Volpe

Sage
By the given definition of old-school, I play old-school games almost exclusively (mainly because my hardware is too backwards to play anything too new). A short list of favourites: Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Fallout 1 & 2. I even played Wasteland (1988) at one stage, but it was darn difficult to figure out what was going on.

I play most of these games' modern day sequels too (except Metroid; never really liked the switch to FPS), but the older ones just have a special feel to them that the newer ones don't.

I grew up on the old school games because for most of my life my family didn't have cable but my dad had an intellivision, atari 2600 and n64.

One of my favorite old school games was called Shark shark, and I've always though someone should make a phone version of the game because it would work SO WELL. Then silther.io came out, which is basically shark shark crossed with snake, except multiplayer.

[video=youtube_share;gTN8C39tecM]https://youtu.be/gTN8C39tecM[/video]

I also played a lot of the point and click adventures on PC, like the Pajama Sam series. I remember being so excited as a kind when I'd find one of Humongous entertainments games in a cereal box.

I also played ,The longest Journey, age of empires (1 & 2)(I was the master of monk's in the first game my family feared my monk army.) , Pharaoh, Caesar 3, Bladerunner and that really old GTA top down shooter. I'd play it mostly for driving really fast.

Smajdalf

Scribe
Did someone play Medievil, Legacy of Kain, Crash bandicoot 1,2 and 3, Spyro the dragon, Crash Team Racing, Crash Bash, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Pokémon Fire Red, C-12, Tekken 1 and 3, Super Smash Bros, these are the best games!!! Some I love, some I like, but Crash Bandicoot series were the best games of my childhood.