• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does this work in a historical set fantasy?

Holoman

Troubadour
For my current novel, the setting is similar to historical Europe, something between the Roman Empire and medieval Europe.

There is a race of humanoids that have magic which gives them something akin to psychic powers. They can read minds by touching someone, and communicate to people directly in their mind. They can also see the future. But they can't move objects or read minds at a distance or anything like that.

As a result, they are incredibly powerful, able to see the outcomes of possible actions and so choose whichever works out best.

Does this race seem out of place in the setting? I'm unsure whether it seems too "futuristic" to have it

Saigonnus

Auror
The first thing that comes to mind is whole "the future is mutable" thing. As you stated they likely wouldn't be able to predict with 100% accuracy the events that will unfold, especially further into the future you see. I could see them using this to make money, like the palm readers at fairs or carnivals, though on the streets of human habitation.

As for believability, perhaps their communication skills developed due to the lack of vocal communication... They use it with each other, and it just happens to work with other races too. I think you'll just have to figure out the details. Do they use words via telepathy or images or something of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holoman

Troubadour
Yes the future is still uncertain, they see possibilities, but it gives them the edge.

And they don't have mouths at all, so only communicate via telepathy. They cannot connect with individual minds without touch though, so when they speak they project it in a radius just like someone speaking normally, and people around can hear as if they have headphones in.

The details seem to work but I don't know why I worry it wont fit with all the swords and armour and stuff.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Please do not worry. Write instead.

Once you have something written, show it to beta readers and editors. They'll tell you if it works.

Queshire

Istar
Hmmm..... I would be worried if they were the only ones with some form of supernatural power. If there's one occurrence of supernatural stuff, why wouldn't there be more?

It's your story. You get to decide what works and what doesn't work. Period.

Sorry if that comes off as unhelpful, but it's something I wish I would have believed myself much earlier. I have spent too much time judging my ideas when I should have been WRITING. Don't judge your ideas. Believe in them.

La Volpe

Sage
Short answer: Yes, it works.

Longer answer: I understand the basic instinct you have about 'psychic' type abilities feeling futuristic (in particular the mind reading and the telepathy, since precognition has been around since the dawn of time). But when I read your description, I thought that it would be interesting to see how it plays out in a more primitive culture. So I say, go for it. Sounds good.

As a side note, what's the range of their telepathy? And can everyone hear it, or only others of their kind? Because if they have an effective long-range communication ability, that would give them a HUGE advantage on its own, even without any precognition.

FatCat

Maester
I'm sorry to be that asshole, but you placed a hypothetical situation in hand. In what meaningfull way does this affect your story?

Holoman

Troubadour
Short answer: Yes, it works.

Longer answer: I understand the basic instinct you have about 'psychic' type abilities feeling futuristic (in particular the mind reading and the telepathy, since precognition has been around since the dawn of time). But when I read your description, I thought that it would be interesting to see how it plays out in a more primitive culture. So I say, go for it. Sounds good.

As a side note, what's the range of their telepathy? And can everyone hear it, or only others of their kind? Because if they have an effective long-range communication ability, that would give them a HUGE advantage on its own, even without any precognition.

The range of them 'mind-speaking' is similar to normal speech. And they can only communicate with specific individuals with touch. Everyone can hear them except one other race. I say "race" but both these groups are verging on another species, evolved from humans (though that's never stated in the books). This other race is completely immune to all their powers, so they can't even speak to them and need a human to translate.

I'm sorry to be that asshole, but you placed a hypothetical situation in hand. In what meaningfull way does this affect your story?

Well, this race of people are vital to the entire story. They are the antagonistic force behind everything, and specific people from the race are the focal antagonists in some of the books as I plan them. They are trying to destroy the race of people that are immune to their powers. So I sort of wanted to know if it seemed odd before I went any further, otherwise the whole story sort of falls apart. I don't want it to come across like someone pulling out a lightsaber in a LOTR world :p

FatCat

Maester
You have a solid idea for world building but disregard the exact notions of your world?

Good luck.