• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dragon Fire

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Dungeons and Dragons has it at 15-30' depending. You are free to make your own decisions about it.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Much would depend on what the dragon's breath actually is. if it's just fire akin to a human fire breather trick, the range is short, but if the dragon is in fact "spitting" a flammable liquid, perhaps in the manner of a spitting fish, then the range get potentially serious.

At the Battle of the Somme, the British had massive flame throwers with a range of 90 yards. Nonportable. By WW2 the Brits had a tank flame thrower with a range of 150 yards, and the Germans had a carried flame thrower with a 45-foot range. A contemporary flame thrower can have a range of 330 feet.

And if it's magic, well, all bets are off, heh heh.

Wamsutta

Acolyte
Flammable liquid, what a good idea. I haven't thought of that. Maybe I can combine that with magic, woah... Thanks!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I am sort of recalling that in the dungeons and dragons world the ' symbol might mean yards, so it would be 30 yards. But...really its whatever you want. If the dragon was flying high above and spit acid....with its still gonna hit the ground...does distance matter a lot with that?

The dragon needs to be able to breath fire a long enough distance, that the hero just isn't safe. I'll call that whatever distance he happens to be at in the cave.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
A very, very long time ago, we had a similar discussion developing my team's dragons and their ability to produce fire. It was very educational. Maybe it can help, here?