1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act I

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

First axe

[​IMG]

Second axe

[​IMG]

I don't have any bonuses.

Sparkie likes this.
  2. Phietadix

Phietadix Auror

I pull out my spear and prepare for battle.
    ((As a devout of Tyr what tests of courage do I need to do?))

3. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

[​IMG]

(My charge w/ +3 STR primary. I guess that ship hand I was rescuing lives to see 2013.
    Happy New Year!)

The roll is a 24 with my mod (+3) and the charging bonus (+2)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    Sparkie likes this.
  4. Legendary Sidekick

Combat rules are up, so since my charge was likely a success (and even if not, we're supposed to roll damage either way), here's the damage:

[​IMG]

Note that the +3 is my STR modifier. Assuming that's the only bonus I should add, 9 is my damage.

If that's enough to kill the fish demon, I'll head north and either:

A) back up Ankari if he fails to his his opponent (with the two-weapon penalty, his to-hit rolls are both 12s, so he either hit his opponent twice or not at all) - bringing me back to my point of origin

OR

B) if Ankari hits his opponent, I'll veer diagonally. I think I have enough movement to get as far as the mast in the center of the ship.

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Here's my hit and damage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently I can't copy and paste the image for my original attack roll in here (it's in the play-by-post thread, post #13), but I got a roll of 13 with a +1 DEX bonus for a total of 14.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Ankari

OK, the dual wielding penalty is steep so I'll just be attacking with one axe.

[​IMG]

Damage roll

7. Phietadix

Phietadix Auror

I charge the nearest Fish Demon
    [​IMG]
    and my damage.
    [​IMG]

8. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Ok, I'll pile on, since everyone else is rolling damage. I've no idea if I landed a hit or not.

[​IMG]

Here's hoping!

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Yes, it is faster if everyone rolls a to-hit and damage at the same time; if you don't hit we'll ignore the damage. Here's a new map with your new positions, based on what you've said above. If more than one player is facing the same target, I'm moving the avatars around according to what makes the most sense))

[​IMG]

10. Steerpike

The smell of blood mixes with the salt air as the battle is joined.

Ankari's axe clips the strange fish man across the shoulders, gouging a chunk of scale and flesh and spattering blood. The creature hisses in pain and anger, and continues to haul itself aboard even as it lashes at Ankari with the talon's of its right hand.

[​IMG]

Ankari easily dodges the creature's swing, though a spattering of fetid saltwater splashes against his face, flung from the creature's swinging arm.

Across the deck, Cadell lets loose an arrow that flies true, striking the creature just right of its breastbone and sinking deep. A hiss from this creature as well, though it has no time seek revenge on Cadell because of the knife-wielding deck hand rushing it headlong. The fish man deflects the man's attack with its trident, which it raises, preparing to counter. It brings the trident down full against the shoulder of the hand, driving him to one knee.

Baldhart, Rydh, and Matthew each rush the fish man who has dragged to poor ship's boy from his feet. The young man lies motionless, blood pooling around his head and neck. Baldhart reaches the fish man first, her thrust taking the creature full in the abdomen, then cutting a swath of flesh and scale as it slices free. So, too, does Rydh's longsword pierce the creature, striking ribs and then punching through with a snap. The creature sags, the chain in its hand forgotten as it tries to reign in blood and viscera steaming from the grievous wounds in its body. The sagging saves its life, at least for the moment, as Matthew's spear passes but inches over its head.

A second ship's hand is heading down the stairs, into the ship's hold, though whether fleeing or seeking aid, you do not know. Bior rushes one of the fish men, exchanging blows, sword against trident, as Rodrico descends the stair to join him. There is commotion on the fo'c'sle, and a cry of human pain, but none of you have a clear line of sight to see what has transpired.

((The only fish man in condition to attack the party this round is the one facing Ankari, and it has missed. The one by Baldhart, Rydh, and Matthew is too concerned with its wounds to act. The others are engaged with members of the ship's crew. As such, the party may now act again)).

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((Steerpike, just a note -- Cadell aimed for the fishman's eye the first time, not its chest.))

I nod in satisfaction as my arrow meets its target -- not exactly as I had aimed, but still a decent shot -- and reach for another, just as a shiphand wielding a knife attacks the monster I face. As the monster deflects the shiphand's blow and prepares to counter, I take aim again and fire at its chest.

Attack:
    [​IMG]

Damage:
    [​IMG]

12. Steerpike

((Ireth - he aimed for the eye, but it struck the chest. So maybe not as true as he had planned :) There is a mechanic for what is known as a "called shot," where you can attempt to hit a specific body part. It comes with a -8 penalty to hit, though it can provide good results when it works. The reasons for the penalty are partly to reflect the difficulty in a chaotic situation, and partly due to the abstract nature of hit points in the game. If you could hit someone's eye on every successful roll, then pretty quickly combatants on both sides would just be shooting each other in the eyes, trying to blind their opponents. Given the penalties associated with a called shot, I won't treat a description of what a character is aiming at in combat as a called shot unless the player includes the words ((called shot)) as an OOC comment with the action. In general, except for the killing blow, an attack that hits is not interpreted as having pierced the heart, jugular, eye, or other critical body part that would cripple or kill the creature or player before the total damage meets their hit point total. It's a game mechanic for balancing combat, and somewhat abstract because of it)).

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((Okie dokie, noted for future reference. Thanks. ^^))

14. Ankari

My glee for striking the fish demon is spoiled with a splash of briny water in my face. I reverse my swing and strike again.

[​IMG]

15. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Seeing the creature fall, I begin to pray in my heart. Thank you, My Lord.

Seeing Bior and Rodrico handling the closest demon themselves, I see no immediate danger.

"Baldhart," I shout, "to the faithless one!"

My prayer then extends to my lips, and I call on my Faith in Betula to Shield me.

(Rydh casts Shield of Faith on himself; -2 Mana, for a total of six now)

[​IMG]

(This, according to what I've read, should be a successful spell check. The DC is caster level + 12, right? So now Rydh has +2 bonus to AC and saves. Also, I can't move and cast, can I?)

16. Legendary Sidekick

"LEAVE HIM ALONE, DEMON!"

I CHARGE, flanking Ankari's opponent.

((Maybe I should have added +1 for the flank, though I'm pretty sure 19 is a hit anyway.))

HIT
    [​IMG]

DAMAGE
    [​IMG]

17. Phietadix

Phietadix Auror

I run toward the forecastle, silently saying a prayer of thanks to Tyr.

18. Legendary Sidekick

Feat of Strength / Primeval Instincts

As I charge Ankari's opponent, thrusting my enormous blade into its gut, I lift with all my might!

I pray that I am successful—that my enemy will be impaled on my blade while Ankari and Rydh finish the pathetic creature!

[​IMG]

((I forgot to add my level, so that should be 19.

It's a STR challenge, so the bonuses are
    +1 because I'm level 1—I'm pretty sure we add our level for challenges/feats
    +3 because of my STR modifier
    +4 because of the barbarian skill Primeval Instincts

And, of course, STR is a primary so the challenge base is 12.))

19. Steerpike

[​IMG]

The sounds of battle are on the wind as the ship continues its slow course through the waves. In the short time that has elapsed since the battle began, the men in the rigging have overcome their astonishment and begun descending to the deck as quickly as the wet rope and precarious footing will allow.

Bior swings at the fish demon next to him, but the creature ducks underneath the swing and snaps its needled jaw forward, clamping onto the Captain's upper arm as he follows through on his swing. Bior bellows in pain and tries to step back in order to pull his arm free, but the creature's bite is strong and Bior loses his footing in his attempt to scramble back. As he crashes onto his backside, Rodrico leans over the rail of the stairs and digs the two-pronged steel hook into the creature's shoulder with a powerful overhand swing. The fish demon issues a sharp hiss and releases Bior, who scrambles backward, blood running from the sleeve of his wool coat and along his hand, to drip to the deck.

The gruesomely injured fish man watches as Rydh mumbles a few words. A faint luminescence covers the cleric as he successfully casts his spell. Having seen enough, the fish demon hauls himself over the rail, falling overboard to the cold waters of the sea.

Cadell's shot takes the fish man in the chest again, and the creature stumbles backward, yanking the sharp tines of its trident from the flesh of the ship's hand, who grunts, then lunges with his knife. The fish man can't ward off the blow as he stumbles back, and the knife slams home, taking the thing in the stomach. Between the blade and Cadell's arrows, its eyes dim and muscles slack.

Ankari swings at the creature again, but it's full attention is on the elf and again it dodges the attack. Being so distracted, it fails to register Baldhart's battle cry, turning only at the last second as her heavy footfalls thud across the deck. Baldart's two-hander punches through the creature's sternum, and with a second cry she heaves the foe on high, spitted on her sword. It slumps forward, lifeless, the cold skin of its arms wrapping around Baldhart's head as if in an embrace. Blood and gore run down Baldhart's sword, rendering the hilt slippery.

Matthew dashes across the deck in response to the cry from the fo'c'sle, taking the stairs two at a time, spear in hand. At the top, he lurches to a stop. A fish demon nearly a foot taller than the others stands, flanked by two of its lesser comrades. A deck hand lies on the cool timber, his throat torn out. The fleshy remnants of that throat are in the grip of the nearest fish demon, whose back is turned as it kneels over the kill. When the largest of the creatures sees Matthew, it snaps a few words in its alien tongue and raps its trident against it chest. Its companion continues feasting, but the second of the smaller fish men turns to regard Matthew with its pitiless gaze, raising a knife of strangely-colored stone.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((Cadell appears to be missing from that diagram. I was afraid he might have been thrown overboard! XD I wonder if he can swim...))

As the monster falls to my arrows and the shiphand's knife, I look to him and smile briefly in acknowledgement of his bravery before turning to seek out my next foe.

((Bit hard for me to move or fight if I don't know where I am, sorry!))