1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act I

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Father Harald glances at Grim and frowns. "I see I've misjudged the solidarity among your group." He peers into the mug for a moment, contemplating.

"Well, no matter, you're the best hope this village has, and if you are offering help we are glad to have it. Your internal squabbles are none of my business. I do believe the old temple of Gefjon, to the north, to be the best starting place for you all. I am not certain I like the thought of Catli going there, however. It may be best she stay here at the Crow for now. Though truth be told, if she learns where you're headed she may take it in her head to strike out after you on her own."

"As for the temple of Gefjon here in town...it is small. The priestess there is named Soma. She rarely leaves the temple, and I have a hard time believing she is involved in all this. I have no doubt she will be pleased to speak to you, if you wish it."

Father Harald turns to Matthew. "Help an old man up? It has been a terrible evening and I am suddenly weary to my bones."

Grim opens a drawer where Father Harald sits and fishes out a key attached to a strip of leather with a number on it. Father Harald takes the key and nods his thanks.

Grim turns to the group. "I'll be turning in as well. It's been a long night and I still got guests who'll be wanting breakfast with the sunrise." He looks at Aliron and says "The dwarves were good allies once, long ago. They've done more for us in the north than elves ever have, and most folks still think o' the dwarves fondly and speak of elves in the same breath as superstitions and magic. No offense intended, I'm just passin' along the information. Though we ain't close allies no more, bad-mouthin' the dwarves ain't likely to win you many friends. If that matters to you, I mean."

Father Harald puts his hand on Grim's arm. "Peace, Grim. Let us all get to bed."

"We're a small town, lass...er...Baldhart, is it? On the morrow I'll make the rounds, looking to see what armor or weapons I can purchase with funds from the temple. I will gladly outfit your group. But I fear if you're looking for a fully-stocked armory you'll be disappointed."

2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I nod at Baldhart's words, and half-smile as she mentions my unconventional use of arrows in the temple. I look down at my armor again and sigh. "My armor needs replacing as well as my arrows. Preferably with something stronger." Were it not for Rydh's quick healing, those monsters' claws would certainly have killed me. "Thankfully, I have some coin to spare, and I may be able to help others with their purchases as well as my own."

3. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

I ignore Rydh's threats, attributing it to his lack of understanding my intent. "Father. What were two acolytes of Gefjon doing in a temple of Tyr? Why weren't they serving the new priestess?"

4. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

"And draw unwanted attention to her? That sounds unwise. The best way to avoid harm is for your enemies not to know that you even exist."

5. Steerpike

Father Harald takes a hand up from Matthew, then looks at Ankari. "The temple of Gefjon in Srilkind is small. There is scarcely room for Soma and the girl who helps her. It would not have been seemly for two men to take residence there. You seem to assume too much division between our gods, sir. That is not how we worship. All here revere Gefjon, including myself. Soma, in turn, reveres Tyr even though she is Gefjon's priestess. Finn and Koli were known to me for many years. We had room for them at the temple of Tyr, and they were comfortable in joining me there. What's more, as I got on in years I realized I needed the help. That is why they were with me, and not with Soma."

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

"Thank you, Father."

We got lucky. I thought for certian that the squabbling was going to be our ruin.

You make your own luck, Baldy. Your father taught you to be humble, and humility opens more doors than brute force no matter how big you are. You can be bold and strong, but still be humble. Always humble.

"Thank you, too, Cadell. Give me a good suit of armor, and I will use my body as a shield if I must."

Humble, not suicidal!

7. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

"Camaraderie is key," said Urthin. "Brothers-in-arms make strange companions. I am a Dwarf, yet I fight alongside Elven-kind. I do this because it is right. I am not one of you, nor are you like myself. We merely find common cause when thrust upon us. When this is all over, we need not speak. I shall return home and you will do the same.

"Until then we are brothers. Thus it has always been. The day when that fails to be so is the day that good will falter, and civilization will end."

1st of Battles - Codex 4:117-119

*****​

It's late, and we're all tired. I let the situation get to me, and it does no good for any of us. Yes, Ankari is a troublemaker, someone who's years of living as a ranger have left him without tact. Still, that's no reason to act as I have tonight. I owe everyone an apology, though I doubt I'll say one to Ankari. Perhaps when he learns to bridle his tongue... No, no, that's not the best way to think. It must be the Elven pride, or perhaps my own self-righteousness

"Cadell," I call. "Yr oeddech yn iawn. Diolch yn fawr."

I then turn to Grim. "There's no chance I can get a proper bed to sleep in, is there?"

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. Steerpike

Grim nods. "Indeed. Any who wish a proper room for the night, I'll make accommodations. No reason to have none of you sleeping in the common room after what's happened."

9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I smile as Rydh speaks, as much at the familiar sound of my native tongue as the meaning of his kind words. "Â chroeso, fy cyfaill."

I turn to Grim and smile at his offer. "Much appreciated, Grim. Thank you."

((Translation of the Welsh/elvish for those curious: "You're welcome, my friend."

Also, Sparkie, I think it would be fitting to have a few different dialects of elvish in use throughout the game. Welsh and Irish Gaelic could be fun to use, since those are the languages I've used thus far for elven names -- Cadell is Welsh, and his girlfriend Liadan is Irish. Those two would be the most widely in use in Cadell's home forest. Since Rydh as a name doesn't really fit with either, perhaps there's a third dialect (possibly just something made up) that your guy could use, which Cadell may or may not understand. ^^))

10. Legendary Sidekick

I wait until Father Harald is out the door. I follow him, and see Sir Matthew is very helpful to the elderly man.

"One more thing I wish to know, Father. As you said to Ankari - who does not understand people of faith - our gods do not quarrel in the way that... that men often do.

"Is there a place of worship for followers of Brynhild? I - I've never been to a proper ceremony. On the peak of the Iron Mountain, only men train there. I was the one exception to that since... well, you can guess why. But Brynhild is the goddess of woman warriors, so I never had the opportunity to..." He's been through a lot. I should let the man rest. "Sorry. You have so many troubles now. I guess I was hoping you might know a priestess of Brynhild. I hope you don't think me selfish for asking at a time like this."

((Baldhart's words to Matthew may come after Harald's response.))

I smile at Matthew as he helps Father to his room. In my heart, I was critical of him leaving the elves behind, but now I understand.

"You serve your priest and your god well, Sir Matthew."

11. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

"It is always an honor to do so Baldhart."

12. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

She's a lady

Whoa, whoa, whoa

She's a lady...

Tom Jones - Codex 8,493,105:2

*****​

"Wonderful," I say to Grim. "I'll take a bed."

I open my purse and hand him five silver. As I begin to close my purse, I remember something from earlier.

"Baldhart," I call. "I seem to remember your dress getting torn back at the temple. That's the only one you have left, no? Here, take this and get yourself something else to wear, as well as your armor."

((Rydh hands Baldhart 10 GP, and I want NO ARGUING!!! This leaves Rydh with 29.5 GP))

13. Legendary Sidekick

"I don't know what to say..."

How about 'thank you?'

Right. "Thank you."

I could get something more durable! A dress that will last through battle, and doesn't stain easily or burn easily...

Do they even make those nowadays?

'Nowadays?' Just how old are you, Nissa?

I don't know. We don't celebrate birthdays in the afterlife.

Well, anyway, I'm sure I can find a dress that will last with this kind of money.

Didn't your father warn you about accepting gifts from men?

Yeah, but... it's Rydh. I'm sure his intentions are honorable. Besides, I don't think he would've put up with an argument.

What are you, a mind reader?

Sparkie likes this.
  14. Steerpike

Father Harald and Grim retire for the evening, and after wrapping up the last of the conversation, the members of the party do as well. Everyone sleeps a bit longer than usual, due to the events of the previous night, but the smell of fresh bread and meat drifts up to the Hooded Crow's rooms from its kitchen and people begin to realize that apart from depriving them of sleep the exertions of the previous night made them tremendously hungry.

As you trickle downstairs, one by one, you find the Grim has moved a long table and chairs to one wall, near the fire, and this area has been set aside for the party. Grim and his wife bring out breakfast - bread, cheese, and strips of soft meat still dripping fat. There is milk and water to drink. As you eat, Grim disappears into the kitchen and returns with a bowl full of large strawberries, which were apparently transported north on the Bladnir and which Grim's wife prepared with cream for this morning's meal.

Grim refuses any talk of coin for the food.

Midway through the meal, Burnbright stumbles downstairs and, bleary-eyed, into the tavern's common room. The place is about half full. If anything, Burnbright looks the worse for wear, sporting black raccoon-eyes and a bruised nose. The bruises have begun to yellow slightly at the edges. She looks around, spots the party, and makes her way to an empty end of the table. There, she slumps into a chair and mutters "some adventurer I turned out to be."

The girl winces. "My head hurts too."

Grim frowns at her. "I'll have the missus put on some willow bark tea."

Burnbright leans forward and lays her head on the table, groaning. "I hate willow bark tea."

"Well," says Grim "you might remember that next time you're seized with the notion of getting into my rum."

Burnbright doesn't answer.

As Grim goes back to get the tea, Father Harald comes in through the front door and joins the group. He says he was up early surveying the ruins of the temple of Tyr. "A total loss. It will take a long time to rebuild. And poor Finn and Koli...there will be a service for them this afternoon."

Father Harald produces a leather pouch and sets it onto the table with a clink. "Two hundred gold. Some southern coin, some northern. Some from the dwarven holds, and those are a bit larger so you may be able to barter more with them. That's the entirety of the temple's savings, I'm afraid. The best I can offer you at this point. I'm happy to give it over if you'll see to the business we discussed last night." He looks sideways at Burnbright. "Any aid you can offer Srilkind is well worth the price."

15. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Such generosity in the face of near-total ruin moves me. Here we all are, enjoying a sumptous meal free of charge, and this man gives us everything he has on behalf of his town. He does this for a pupose, of course. I, for one, will not let this man down.

I rise from the table with a smile. "Father Harald," I say, "on behalf of us all I say 'thank you.' And I feel confident in saying that we shall vanquish whatever evil afflicts these people, driving it from these lands like a hunter's dog drives game from a field. This gold shall be used to aid Srilkind, at least for my part."

Which reminds me, I need to ask if there's a skilled woodcarver in town. If I can start setting up Betula's new shrine at the outskirts of the city perhaps people will not mind so much. I'll spend all the gold I have if it means honoring Betula.

16. Legendary Sidekick

"Thank you kindly, Father! And you as well, Grim!"

I position myself close to Burnbright and give a pat on the shoulder. "You did fine, Burnbright. But you are still young. Train hard before you take such a risk again. I am twice your age, and that was only my second battle. My first was on the way here. But I was able to fight well because I trained since I was your age.

"Training is good exercise, and there's a very good chance that you'll survive even if you fail in a training session. My offer to train you still stands, if you have the energy. But... I also want to buy a new dress. One that is not so easily broken in battle, and... maybe something earthtone so the blood of my enemies won't ruin it."

Did you really just say that?

Yes, Nissa. This next dress will be a keeper!

"How about we train another day and shop for a dress? I doubt there are any in my size, but as long as it's loose on the shoulders, a full length gown will go down to my knees."

I can see the men are rather uncomfortable with the girl talk. I better wrap it up.

"And I need a sash to show off my hour-glass figure."

I take a big *CHOMP* out of that soft, fatty meat!

I swallow before asking Grim's wife, "Is there a dress shop nearby? Or better yet, a tailor? Oh, I'm Baldhart by the way." How rude of me to spek to Grim's wife without first introducing myself! "Where were my manners?"

*CHOMP*

((Baldhart has broad shoulders, a narrow waist, and thick thighs. Technically, that's hour-glass-shaped.))

17. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Before I walked to the table I had gone to my horse and took my axe and sword down, as well as my crossbow. I now give them to Burnbright.
    "May these serve you well."

18. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

The food offered by Grim works to assuage the tension knotting the back of my neck. I focus on the added strawberries, hoping the vivid fruit would prove sufficient a link to the natural world to block out the oppressive walls and odors.

"We have not settled on our course of action." Begrudgingly, I consent to the added cream. It dissolve on my tongue, complimenting the natural sweetness of the strawberries in a pleasing way.

"Father Harold suggests we go to the ruined Temple of Gefjon. I agree, but I want to visit the current priestess in town. We are here anyway. A small detour won't delay us too long. Also, we need to agree on the best course of action concerning Burnbright. Does she remain with us or do we hope the gods will do better in protecting her than they do their own temples?"

19. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

{"And draw unwanted attention to her? That sounds unwise. The best way to avoid harm is for your enemies not to know that you even exist." }

"My thoughts exactly, words I live by in fact. The best introduction to an enemy is as they draw their last breath from da meeting of thy blade they never saw."
    "I will be needing a room."
    "I meant to grab the grappling hook from the window, did anyone remember it? It might be ruined in the fire by now."
    I guess if you bathe in rum, it will hide that smokey wood smell from the fire." looking at the puddle on the floor.

"If we seek out the dwarts, I shall keep me hood up and maybe I should be called Allen(Alin) so they don't realize I am an elf."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  20. Steerpike

Burnbright lifts her head when the weapons are placed before her. "Thanks!" She beams at Matthew, then wraps her fingers around the hilt of the sword and lifts it from the table, testing its weight. "I'll go with you! If there are more of those fire things up there, I'll pay 'em back for hitting me. And for what they did to Finn and Koli!" She stands, eyes gleaming again as she looks along the length of the blade. "I'll be just like Veborg, stabbing my enemies and fighting off whole groups of warriors at one time!"

Grim frowns. "Verborg was killed in battle, child."

"Yeah," says Burnbright, "but not before she got a bunch of songs wrote about her! Besides, Baldhart and Matthew will teach me how to protect myself. We can do it on the trip!"

Father Harald waves his hand to quiet the girl. "We'll talk about it."

The Father thanks Rydh for his kinds words, and his pledge to the people of Srilkind. Turning to Ankari, he says "If you wish to speak to Soma, follow the main road through town, past what is left of the temple of Tyr. You'll find Gefjon's temple, such as it is, at the eastern edge of the village, just there on the road."

Turning to Aliron, he says "There are townsfolk at the temple now, salvaging what they can. If your grappling hook survived the fire, they will have it. Keeping your hoods up may not be a bad idea as you travel in the north. Elves are not well-known here, and the lack of familiarity breeds fear in some."

Finally, looking at Baldhart, Father Harald interrupts, saying "An entire shop devoted just to dresses? There's nothing like that in Srilkind, but we have a tailor, and a good one at that. Look for Arn, directly across from the temple near the town center. He has quick hands, and does good work with both cloth and leather."

Grim's wife nods in agreement. She introduces herself as Nora, though she seems more intent on making sure everyone's plate remains full than on conversation. "Listen to the Father, lady," she says. "Arn's the one to see. He'll take good care o' you."

Father Harald leans in to the table, his voice low so that Burnbright won't hear. She's too busy looking at her new weapons, now turning the axe over in her hands as best she can given its weight. "I feel there are events at work beyond my ability to perceive them or to control them. I have never demanded things of Catli, or forbade her from things, for that matter. I'll not begin now. My preference is that she remain here. The lands north of Srilkind hold many dangers, and despite the girl's fascination with Matthew's generous gifts, I do not believe she will be able to defend herself with them. If you decide to take her with you, her safety falls to each of you here. She is yet a child and must be protected as one."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013