1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act I

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

"Father, perhaps I can wear her down with a training session. I would prefer she begin with a wooden sword, in fact. Is there a place we can exercise that will not be a bother to others? I promise you, Father, that I will not encourage a child to follow us... or even to play with real weapons. I will show her that these are not toys, and that battle is not to be taken lightly.

"More than anything, my allegience is to this girl. She is special, but... there's a chance that she can live an ordinary life."

What's an ordinary life?

Something beautiful. Somethng I can never have.

But I can have that new dress!

I rise.

"Gentlemen," I say to everyone at the table, "I suppose Arn will be fitting me with a dress but the armory is a separate purchase. If that is correct, I should get the dress first, then we shop for armor in the way that makes the most of Father's generosity. If anyone is interested in traveling with me, you are welcome to join."

((Baldy's next move is to see the tailor, Arn. She now has 10G in her purse, given by Rydh - enough for expensive clothing based on the quickstart. The 200G from Father remains with the party.))

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

I look to Burnbright and say.
    "While these weapons are now your's to keep, before you may weild them you must first be taught how to properly handle them. And even then never seek out conflict, only fight when necessary."

3. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

The party lacks the cohesion needed to face the troubling times to come. I remind myself two days isn't enough time for everyone to drop their individual needs in favor of the task at hand. I glance at Burnbright and try another tact to keep the girl at arm's length.

"Burnbright, can you lead me to the new temple of Gefjon? I may need a guide afterwards to procure additional supplies. It'll be worth a gold piece for you if you accept."

To the rest of the party, I say, "I am off to buy a few extra items for the trip ahead. If the money Father Harold has provided isn't enough to cover our needs, send word to me at the Temple of Gefjon and I will see if I can help with my own purse. Since Baldhart will be busy with the tailor, I propose Rydh and Cadell take the offerings and a list of our needs under their responsibility."

4. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"I might need more arrows, I have eighteen left, but only remember shooting one, it appears there are thieves everywhere, probably need some rope to replace on the grappling hook."
    "You know there is training with a big heavy blade in heavy armor, but you can also learn how to make the swordsman and sword dance around the brawn of a mighty soldier.
    The trick, is to make sure you are not where the blade strikes. Its better when facing a giant ax, to reflect and react, then deflect and detract.
    That might be a better choice for the young lady.
    Little lady, one word of wisdom, Nothing in life is fair except a witnessed duel. And if you call for one, you must be a fool."
    Another philos...philo...words to live by...It is a great ability to be able to conceal one’s ability. I am master at that."

Good night all, be sure to announce yourself, my blade awakens much faster then my mind."

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

For the most part I am silent as I join the others at breakfast, and speak only to thank Grim and his wife for the food they bring in between partaking in it. I listen to the others as attentively as I may, though I cannot easily put aside my weariness. My sleep was more troubled than it has been for the entire journey so far, and the presence of Baldhart's stone knife in my belongings likely made it worse. It feels wrong in more ways than I can put words to, almost as if it is cursed like this place. I am glad I left it behind in my room for the moment. I hope I can avoid having to hold it as much as possible.

Having eaten my fill, I rest my chin in my hand, closing my eyes for a momentary nap. I raise my head when my name is mentioned, and nod in agreement to Ankari's words. "That seems fair."

6. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

While I chafe at the idea of Ankari 'volunteering' Cadell and I to do anything, I also think that it's a good idea. Cadell has no trouble with the responsibility, it seems. Refreshing, really. His long years of life's struggles seem to have made him a cut above in maturity, or at least in the ability to shrug off offense.

"Very well," I say. "Cadell and I will take the monies provided and buy our 'needs,' whatever they may be. Anyone have suggestions as to what to procure for our little group?"

A list, eh? I wish I had some parchment and an ink stylus...

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Father Harald seems satisfied with Baldhart's comments about Burnbright. He nods to the group and then excuses himself. With the destruction of the temple of Tyr, there is much for him to do, and he has to prepare for the ceremonies to honor Koli and Finn. As you've been talking, business in the Hooded Crow has picked up and Grim excuses himself as well, tending to his other customers.

Burnbright nods at Matthews words. "I'll take good care of the weapons, I promise. And I'll be real careful too. I'll train hard with you and Baldhart and one day I'll be just like the shieldmaidens used to be, back before the war."

She looks at Aliron. "I've heard stories about duels. They say Veborg killed an enemy captain in single combat one time. I don't know what the rules were, but she killed it. Isn't there more glory that way? I mean, say I want to come back as a Valkyrie when I die? Don't I have to get killed all honorably and stuff?"

She turns back to the weapons, examining them with a certain degree of awe, until Ankari asks to be led to the temple of Gefjon. When he offers a gold, Burnbright's eyes widen and she can hardly scramble out of her chair fast enough. She looks uncertainly at the weapons before her, then snatches the sword. "Watch the rest of those, can you? I"ll be right back!"

Burnbright heads for the door, beckoning Ankari to follow.

((The town is small, and they don't have the full range of provisions on the equipment list. Any sort of leather, padded, or hide armor is easy enough to find. There is also the following:

Ring Mail - 40gp (+3 AC)
    Scale Male - 65gp (+4 AC)
    Wooden shields - 5gp (+1 AC)
    Steel shields - 15gp (+1 AC)

You can find standard weapons in town - swords, axes, spears, maces, and so on. Nothing exotic. If you need a price for one, let me know.

Ink, parchment, and a set of quills can be had for 10 GP

Cadell and Rydh are off shopping. Just let me know what you're looking for.

NOTE: with the heavier dwarven coins in the pouch, the true value of the coins comes to around 230 GP)).

Baldhart

The tailor is a short, thick man whose shop is not far. When you arrive he looks you over and says "Well, you're a big on and no mistake!" When you tell him you want a dress, he asks you what kind, the length, what material you'd like and so on.

"I can have it for you later today, most like. First thing in the morning, to be sure."

Ankari

Burnbright leads you through Srilkind toward the temple of Gefjon. Along the way, you pass the ruined temple of Tyr. Smoke still rises from the fallen timbers. Burnbright seems to avoid looking at it, keeping her eyes on the buildings on the other side of the town center. Her enthusiasm dims.

The temple of Gefjon is a small, wooden structure with a symbol of a scythe and a row of crops above the door. Burnbright stops in front of the wooden door and says "Are you really gonna give me a gold just for bringing you here?" Her squint indicates she is less than convinced.

8. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

The comment takes me by surprise. I offer a smile I hope is received as warm and fish a gold coin from my pouch.

"Not just to this temple. I'm paying you to be my guide for the whole day." I flip her the coin. "Before I enter, tell me what your thoughts are of this priestess. Have you spoken with her before? Do you like her?"

((Adding a bit so you can incorporate Brightburn's response with my entering the temple.))

I listen to Burnbright's response before pushing the door open. With the string of events lately, I hesitate before entering. "Be sure to stay by my side. I don't think anything will happen here, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If there is trouble about, listen to my orders without delay."

9. Steerpike

Burnbright smiles and takes the coin, dropping it into a pocket sewn into the tunic she wears. She puts her hand over it, feeling the coin from the outside.

"Sure, I've met Soma before. She's OK. She doesn't talk a lot. I don't think she sees too well, either. Mostly she just stays here in the temple, but I've seen her walking around with Verun. That's the girl that helps her."

Burnbright pushes open the door to the temple and leads the way inside. A tall, skinny girl turns from where she kneels at a small altar in the middle of a wide, square room. The temple lacks the elegance and refinement of the temple of Tyr, being a sparsely-decorated, plain structure. The only decoration is a painting of the goddess Gefjon standing in a fertile field. It has been painted directly on the far wall, beyond the altar, and is lit by a single oil lamp.

The skinny girl comes over and Burnbright introduces her as Verun. "We're here to see Soma," says Burnbright. "Is she here?"

Verun opens a door on the right side of the altar room and pokes her head inside. She says something that you can't make out, and a moment later the door opens further and a finely-proportioned woman in flowing green robes emerges. Her hair is pulled back into a braid. Although she is not old she uses a walking stick.

"Please, be welcome in this temple."

She nods at Burnbright. "Catli. It is good to see you here."

"Burnbright..." mutters Burnbright.

Soma takes a step further into the room and looks Ankari over. "You are welcome here as well, stranger. Have you come to worship?"

10. Legendary Sidekick

"Thank you, Arn. As you can see, I am slim at the waist, broad at the shoulders, and..." I pull my pathetic, partially-torn, partially-burned mauve gown tight around the legs. "...my thighs require something roomy.

"I want a material that is durable and doesn't stain easily. I've been through two battles and lost a dress in each. Well, I paid one gold for each of those dresses, so... you get what you pay for, right?

"Anyway... a dress with shoulder straps—my arms need to be free—my cloak is plenty warm, something I can keep tight at the waist—I'll need a sash—and hemmed at the knee, wide enough for my thighs. I know you need to measure me accurately. I don't mind that you're a man and I'm a woman. I'm fond of the color mauve, but I need this to last through battle. Earth tones may not stain as easily—or at least not appear stained. Surprise me with the color. Oh! I always have this blue war paint. I don't know if the dress should match it or contrast it—maybe contrast... let's just stick with surprising me with the color. As long as it looks good with the boots.

"If 5 gold won't get what I described just now, I'm on a budget of 10. What do you say, Arn?

"Oh... and while I'm waiting, where is the armory? The guys are on there way there if they're not shopping already. I hope to get scale mail if the party thinks it's a worthy investment. If not, studded leather would still be better than what I have now. It's 25 gold for that where I come from. If the party isn't willing to spend twice as much* on scale mail, Arn, would you be able to fit me with studded leather? Since you're a leather expert, I'd rather bring the business to you if I have to settle for leather armor."

*((In the south, scale mail is 50 gold. Baldhart doesn't know it's 65 up north... yet.))

11. Steerpike

Arn nods at Baldhart's instructions. "If you'll be staying in the north, might I suggest wool?" He raises hand "No, hear me out lass. I have a wool that is supple and nice to the touch, but it's strong and it'll keep you warmer than anything else I got layin' around. I can make it for two gold, undyed. For another two gold I can dye it and put some decoration around the hem, sleeves, and collar."

He unrolls a long measuring tape and takes Baldhart's measurements, reddening slightly as he takes chest and hip measurements. He mutters to himself and scratches notes into a small book with his quill. "Yes, I think I can have this done for you tonight. You're staying at the Crow? I'll bring it by for you to try on."

12. Legendary Sidekick

"4 gold, then? Make it 5. I never was good at haggling.

"Make the dress as you intend, Arn. For the dye and decoration, I'll trust your artistic taste. Would you be able to include a symbol of Brynhild? The silhouette of a valkyrie on the hem would do."

Any valkyrie in particular? Hint, hint.

"A tiny, winged valkyrie with long braids and a horned helmet… er, for example."

Baldy! I was just kidding!

I wasn't.

"Thank you, Arn," I say as I head for the door. But I stop and add, "Oh, speaking of Brynhild, is there a place where her worshippers meet around here?"

13. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

She looks at Aliron. "I've heard stories about duels. They say Veborg killed an enemy captain in single combat one time. I don't know what the rules were, but she killed it. Isn't there more glory that way? I mean, say I want to come back as a Valkyrie when I die? Don't I have to get killed all honorably and stuff?"

"I am not the one to speak to about honor, I fight to survive, I fight to earn a meal, Honor is a luxury I have not been afforded.
    I believe setting rules on how someone should die is idiocy, I fight to the best of your ability, and try to make sure the last one drawing breath is me. Honor, valor, and glory won't keep you warm at night, nor will it fill an empty belly.
    I have seen the most vile of men claim to have honor, so I have no concern of honor."

14. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

"I have been without food, I have been without rest, and survived. But honor is my highest priority. While I may not die an honorable death, I have little control over it. I will live an honorable life to the best of my ability. My principle is to always put honor and others above myself."

15. Steerpike

The Crow

Burnbright listens to both Aliron and Matthew, brow creased in thought. She seems troubled by Aliron's comments, but brightens when Matthew speaks. "When I die, it's going to be in some big, glorious battle, with songs written about it. Just like how Veborg was, and how all the old shieldmaidens used to be." As she follows Ankari out the door she mutters "I'll be honorable."

Baldhart

Arn nods again at Baldhart's instructions regarding the dress. "I'll make you something nice, lass. No worries. As for Brynhild...well, we revere her, of course, but female warriors are scarcely known in the north these days. The shieldmaidens of old, Veborg and others, loom large in our tales and songs, but you're the first woman I've seen devoted to Brynhild since I was a boy. We've no temple for her, though Father Harald would often say a few words about her and some of the other gods in the temple of Tyr. Before it burned, of course."

16. Legendary Sidekick

"Thank you, Arn. I will turn to Father Harald for advice then."

((Off to the armor shop. Sparkie, Ireth, feel free to acknowledge Baldy's arrival when you post. There's a blizzard, so as long as we have power, I'm likely to reply in-game.))

17. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Cadell and I are walking near what looks like a good smithy shop when Baldhart appears. I wave to her, and we all walk in together.

"So," I ask Baldhart, "You want some good armor? May I suggest some good Scale? I wear it, and it rarely lets me down. Still, that's up to you. Don't worry about cost. If someone has a problem with you going into battle with real protection that's their own fault. Choose whatever you like... Well, as long as it fits."

18. Legendary Sidekick

"Scale it is, then. Thank you, Rydh. I intend to be on the front line, so I appreciate your understanding.

"Cadell, the stone knife is yours to keep. But you need a spare melee weapon more than I. Might I suggest a longsword? Or a bastard sword if you can swing it with one hand. A small shield might be worth considering, though I imagine you'd only find time to strap it on if you're out of arrows or you intend to use the sword before we find ourselves in a situation.

"If Cadell prefers a sword, I will take the knife as my spare so that the needs of others may be met. I already wield the superior weapon. If everyone else is well armored, only then would I consider a bastard sword in case I am disarmed. Or we could save the 35 gold to put toward future upgrades, and I keep the knife.

"I wish to discuss tactics when we all return to the Crow. I don't know about you gentlemen, but I feel the gods and goddesses must have intervened. How else would one explain our survival despite our lack of organization?

Well… I'm sure Ankari would find an alternative explanation."

19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I nod thoughtfully at Baldhart's words. "I think I would prefer something with more reach than a knife. A longsword sounds fine. Feel free to take the stone knife; I dislike the feel of it. As for armor, what would you recommend?"

Baldhart's mention of Ankari makes me frown a little. There is, admittedly, truth to her words -- he does not seem to have much faith in us as a group. But sowing disagreement and discord knowingly among ourselves will only increase our problems.

"We all have our beliefs, whether in gods and goddesses or not. But we must respect each other's opinions if we are to remain on good terms, and we must be so in order to survive. Ankari needs to learn this lesson as well, but acting in scorn toward him will do nothing to help."

20. Legendary Sidekick

"Ankari is one that we can surely count on. Perhaps I should not have made light of his faithlessness, but I meant no disrespect. It is a part of who he is, and I accept that. I agree that we all must accept him for who he is if we are to count on his arrows in battle. And his judgment. He is blunt, but I admire his willingness to boldly state his mind, even knowing his ideas may prove unpopular.

"As for armor, you're wearing leather, too! I think as many of us as possible should wear scale. Ring mail is too expensive for the little extra protection it offers. I say we get scale for as many of us as we can afford to. The 200 gold alone is good for three of those. If the dwarven gold is worth more, as Father said, we can afford your longsword with a third scale mail.

"Sir Matthew would be the priority, but that expensive chain shirt of his is better than anything we can buy here! The third scale mail, if we purchase one, would be for Ankari, but… does he need it? Did anyone see what he was wearing? If Ankari doesn't need new armor, we have more to spend on weapons, and maybe a few gold coins to save up!"

((I know Matt has a chain shirt [+4 AC] from the "Our Stuff" thread. Aliron's class prevents him from upgrading armor. Nod can wear ring [+3 AC], but he's out of the party for the moment. Ankari can wear scale [+4 AC], but I'm not sure what he has now.

I updated my post on the "Our Stuff" thread to show Baldy's new armor and that she has the knife as her spare again. Feel free to post an updated list on that thread. It'll make shopping for the party that much easier!))