1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act I

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 31, 2012.

  1. Sparkie

    Sparkie Auror

    1,459
    307
    83
    Does Matthew have magic? How did he get here? Huh. No matter, I suppose. I turn to Matthew and speak.

    "Um, yes! Hullo, Matthew."

    I turn back to Ankari, interested in his finding. "So, Ankari, Are those records still there at the old temple? Or have they been moved or even destroyed?"
     
  2. Phietadix

    Phietadix Archmage

    953
    50
    28
    "But what of the Records of old, were you able to see them?"
     
  3. Phietadix

    Phietadix Archmage

    953
    50
    28
    ((That wasn't the first time my character spoke since leaving the inn, he was supposed to have gone with the others to the armorey))
     
  4. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    879
    113
    I frown at their questions. I can't remember if I told them the old temple was ransacked and the records taken. I blame it on the prolonged stay in this stifling town.

    "The records were taken. Soma states they have searched every inch of the old temple with no success. The flagstone that covered the hidden compartment was moved to a mantle. I find it odd that such care was taken in placing the symbol, as that was carved on the flagstone, while everything else was torn apart during the raid. It is because of this small inconsistency I think our trip to the old temple will not go in vain."

    I check the horizon, noting the time of day. "If you have further questions, follow me to the bowyer. I am in need of supplies."
     
  5. Phietadix

    Phietadix Archmage

    953
    50
    28
    I follow him as he walks to the bowyer, I do have more questions but more for the group as a whole then simply Ankari.
    "What are are plans now? I intended here for a few more days, but I can be ready to leave sooner if that's what the group decides."
     
  6. Sparkie

    Sparkie Auror

    1,459
    307
    83
    Satisfied for now, I say "Thank you, Ankari. I'll see you at the Crow."

    I turn and walk back to the tavern, glad that we had some kind of exchange that didn't involve an argument or me feeling like an ass. There's too many lives at stake to give in to infighting.

    Wandering over to the Crow, I walk inside. Baldhart is there, and I'll speak with her later. For now I'll talk to Grim if he's not too busy.

    "Grim," I say quietly, "Is there a good woodcarver or carpenter in the Srilkind? I'm curious to see if I could set up a shrine to my God outside of town."
     
  7. Phietadix

    Phietadix Archmage

    953
    50
    28
    ((Wait, where is everyone, I thought Baldhart was with the rest of the group as well.))
     
  8. Sparkie

    Sparkie Auror

    1,459
    307
    83
    ((There is no 'group.' Rydh was speaking with Ankari with Burnbright present. Ireth gave no indication that Cadell was coming with Rydh, and LS stated that Baldhart was going back to the Hooded Crow after leaving the shop. Please remember to read everyone's posts carefully before making your own.))
     
  9. Phietadix

    Phietadix Archmage

    953
    50
    28
    ((Sorry, I guess I missed I couple things, I knew that most of the Players were at the Armory and were discussing things there, I missed the statements about people leaving, I assumed that everyone was still there.))
     
  10. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    508
    113
    I have a short bow(damage 1d6 up to 60ft), the long bow(1d8 upto 100ft) is much deadlier.
    Give me a couple shots with a bow(+3 dex+1 race) at night(+2 diety bonus, +6 to hit at night with a bow), I will give you alot of damage even the mightiest warriors couldn't compare. Blessed by my God, my arrows strike true. Many enemies don't have missle capabilities, so we have the advantage to deal death without risking injury. Having a longbow would increase my damage at a distance, and might prevent serious injury in close combat.
    Armor for the girl, She should wear the heaviest armor she can carry. She might need to wear lighter armor or we might have to make more frequent stops for her to rest. If we have mounts, this might not be a problem, but I have not seen many horses.
    Just some observsations from a seasoned traveller."
     
  11. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    ((Let's assume Aliron told Baldy this^ at the Crow.))


    "Aliron, was it your arrow that flew right past my charge? You truly can shoot well, and I was hoping we could find the best bows possible for our archers.

    "From Father Harald's funds, we don't have enough for a longbow, but I doubt anyone will object to this purchase. Some would say a light crossbow is as deadly. But a two-handed axe is as deadly as my sword… well, almost. No matter. I prefer the sword and you prefer the bow. Crossbows and axes will not do! If you have about 30G on you, we can combine that with the party's funds. Do you have that much on you, Aliron?"

    ((Regardless of Aliron's response, Baldhart says:))

    "Follow me!"

    ((Baldhart approaches Rydh and/or Cadell, depending who responds first.))

    "Aliron is only using a short bow. I know we spoke of saving up, but that was only when we didn't think anyone needed a better bow…"


    ((I need to know if Aliron has 30G on him before this goes further. And I need to talk to Cadell or Rydh before I can touch that money.))
     
  12. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,129
    3,484
    413
    Rydh

    Grim is cleaning the encounter with an old rag. Most of the patrons have left - the townsfolk are working hard to clear out the ruins of the burned temple, and others are preparing to lay Finn and Koli to rest. Grim stops wiping when you ask the question and gives you a crooked smile. "You're lookin' at him. Well, one of 'em at least." He gestures toward the common room, full of tables, chairs, and benches. "Made all that myself, back when I first opened this place. There are a couple of others in town who know their business as well."

    His face turns serious as he leans in closer. "If your goin' to set up a shrine to your god...well, that ain't nothing to me. Live and let live, that's my motto. And I'm one to let goodly folk worship as they see fit. But that ain't the way of all of them what live here in Srilkind. You want my advice, make your shrine well out of town. Somewhere to the northwest is best. That area is less traveled. Put it where folks will see it everyday, and you might come back to a pile of kindling."

    Ankari

    Burnbright frowns at what you're saying, but nods her head. "That makes sense, I guess. I suppose even Veborg musta started somewhere. As others from the group walk up, the girl points the way to the bowyer and says "You won't miss it. I gotta get ready too, I guess. If we're leaving in the morning. I'll get my stuff and meet you back at the Crow. I'll just stay there tonight. Grim won't mind."
     
  13. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    508
    113
    Aliron has 26 gold total, since being good, or not having a target of opportunity, I have not made any profit.
     
  14. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    "With Father Harald's funds, we're… 1 gold coin short!

    "Well, I don't think Rydh will mind that I spend one of the gold coins he gave me on your new bow."


    ((Awaiting Rydh/Cadell's in-game approval for the 73G. Using Aliron's 26G and 1G from the 5 Baldy has on her, we can afford the 100G longbow!))
     
  15. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,469
    313
    I nod at Baldhart's words. "I have coin to spare if we run short. 81 gold, 8 silver. Though I have only a short bow myself, and it has kept me alive thus far."
     
  16. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    "True, but Aliron is a sharp-shooter, and we depend on his arrows. I'm glad you understand. Father Harald's funds should be used first, then Aliron's pocket. That comes out to 99 gold. I'll throw in the one gold coin we need to complete the purchase. Let's do it!"

    I take Aliron by the arm, and practically carry him to the armory.

    You love this, don't you, Baldy?


    Of course, Nissa! Shopping for weapons and armor is still shopping!


    ((We get the 100G longbow. If Cadell needs to use his money—I'm not sure if Rydh's holding it or if Cadell is—we can work it out that Rydh uses the 73G to pay him back. Even though most of us are sharing our coins, it makes more sense that we don't dig into our character's pockets until we have to. I don't care whether Baldy spends 1G or Cadell does, but I'll assume Baldy did since she offered to. So Aliron's broke, Baldy has 4G, we used all of Fr. Harald's funds, and Aliron has a 1d8/100ft. range longbow.

    If we can sell his old bow, we do. Otherwise, we have a spare.))
     
  17. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    879
    113
    At the entrance to the bowyer, I run into Baldhart dragging Aliron by the arm. She is blunt in nature, like the accounts of old describing the elves first interaction with the primitive humans stumbling out of the wilderness, but she is also good-hearted. I wonder what Aliron has done to deserve being using as an adze to furrow the earth in her wake.

    "Greetings Baldhart. What has Aliron done to you?"

    ((I need to wrap up a couple things in Act I before I can properly respond in Act II))
     
  18. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    "He shot my hair."

    That came out… not quite right.

    "What I mean is, he shot an enemy from afar with his short bow. Almost undid my braid, but I saw the arrow in the torso of my enemy before I ran my sword through it. Aliron thinks he's better off with a long bow, and I agree.

    "You're quite the marksman yourself, but I wasn't sure if you were satisfied with your current bow. I know nothing about archery. It is taboo for a follower of Brynhild to fire a bow."

    I look at Burnbright's pouty expression.

    "I mean, when you're my age. I did try a bow when I was younger. I'm a lousy shot!

    "Anyway, we're here to shop. How about you? It would have to come out of our pockets, as 200 gold can only go so far, but are you in need of a new bow or new armor? You didn't say anything earlier, so Rydh, Cadell and I shopped without you. But I do wish for all of us to be well equipped."
     
  19. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,624
    879
    113
    Sometimes opportunities fall before your feet. One must be willing simply to pick them up.

    "May I suggest that we give the short bow to Burnbright and have the bowyer repurpose it to her strength? We can sell the crossbow and swords that Matthew gave to Burnbright. The money should be more than enough to pay for the repurposing and arrows, as well as armor. Perhaps even pay for a few knives. What do you say?"
     
  20. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,884
    413
    "Let's do it, Ankari. I think between the four of us, we might be able to get a decent price. We already have 120 new arrows, by the way. But Burnbright, if you intend to learn the bow, you'll want your own arrows."

    ((Let's assume we get the stuff, then did the shopping so we can be done with Act I business. Ankari, Aliron, Burnbright and Baldhart are at the shop.))

    I slap 100 gold on the table.

    "Sir, we'd like to do a little more business. First of all, we need a long bow. The best one you've got! My friend here—" I gesture toward Burnbright. "—would like an archery lesson. Please re…" What's that archery term? Repurpose. Thanks, Nissa! "…purpose the bow for her young, slender arm. Also, we have a few things we'd like to sell." I display before the shopkeeper Burnbright's gifts from Sir Matthew: a crossbow, a sword and an axe ((I think)).

    "We're hoping these weapons will pay for the repurposing of the short bow plus a few more purchases, such as armor and knives. We are risking our lives for Srilkind. Do you think you could give us a fair price?"

    ((CHA check - primary attribute))
    [​IMG]
    I feel pretty? I feel…

    Maybe you should stick to brute force, Baldy.
     
Loading...

Share This Page