1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act I

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

((Well since you're selling the crossbow you should also sell the 100 bolt that go with the crossbow))

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

((Let's see if we're selling anything after that charisma check! Primal Instinct spoiled me. I'm so used to STR checks working out, but the odds of success for a mighty barbarian is 75%. Baldhart's smile only wins people over 40% of the time.))

3. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

((Also I wouldn't be too hasty on selling anything, it's doubtful that you'll be able to get anything for the price we got at start. Plus with the number of bolts there is, the crossbow may be the better choice))

4. Legendary Sidekick

((Good point. Maybe if I blew the sale, that's the upside.

I mean that we have 100 bolts. Every RPG video game I played had an unwritten "sell" price that's 1/2 or 1/3 of the "buy" price, so I expect it's just better than keeping more than you can carry. I think it was 1/3 is Secret of Mana. I could be wrong. And it's probably only JRPGs that have decent sell prices. Diablo III might be 1/10 or something awful like that.

Anyway, since this isn't a video game, I also assume that armor is custom-fit and has no sale value. I never played D&D before this, so I'm really assuming a lot.))

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Before the shopkeeper gives an answer to Baldhart, I grab the crossbow and peer down the sight as if aiming at an animal.

"This crossbow is of remarkable quality, but you already know this. We are not greedy, nor do we intend to deny you the opportunity to make a profit. We ask that you repurpose our shortbow to the strenght of young Burnbright here. We also need a quiver, 20 training arrows and 20 regular ones to fit her bow. Also a backpack and cape for our Princess Warrior." I point at Burnbright so clarify my honorific. "Throw in two knives and two hand axes and I'll give you the 100 bolts. You are making out like a bandit. Do we have a deal?"

6. Legendary Sidekick

It's not working! Intimidate him! Break a table with your fist!

No, Nissa. That's not how I conduct business. Besides, I can put on the charm if I'm with the kid.

"He's right, sir. We're training your future customer to be a huntress. She's like a sister to me."

I hoist Burnbright into my arms, and…
    [​IMG]
    …I mirror Burnbright's perfect little smile!

I'll admit it. You two look cute together.

Sparkie likes this.
  7. Legendary Sidekick

((Forgot to add my level, so the CHA checks are 12 (still failed by 1 point, I guess) and 21. I do like seeing that natural 20 though. My first, I think.))

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The merchant purses his lips. "So let me see if I understand this. You will give me a crossbow, 100 bolts, an axe, and a longsword. And in exchange you want me to 'repurpose' this shortbow...me with my aching hands...give you a longbow in addition to it, teach the lass how to shoot, give you two knives, two handaxes, a backpack, a quiver, and a cape."

"I don't know what you take me for, but this hardly seems fair. You give me the crossbow, bolts, axe and sword, and in return I'll give you the backpack and cape, the arrows (quiver included), I'll give the lass a few shots at the target around back, and I'll give you 5 gold back in change. But you can forget the longbow."

The man folds his arms and glares at the group.

9. Ankari

I raise an eyebrow in confusion.

"No sir, I want you to repurpose this short bow to the strength of young Burnbright. I need 20 training arrows, 20 regular arrows (for the short bow), two knives, two hand axes, a backpack , quicker and cape. In exchange, you get a crossbow, 100 bolts and a sword."

((By repurpose, I mean that the bow string will have less pull (more give) than the original bow string. Not a very expensive thing to do.))

10. Legendary Sidekick

"Yes, you misunderstood, sir."

I point out the 100 gold that's still on the table. ((See post #500))

"That is for the longbow. We would never barter for such a fine weapon."

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Heh. Sorry, I completely failed to follow the proposed exchange!))

"Ah, dear me, that changes things a bit don't it." The man snatches up one of the coins and bites it. "Me grand-dad always did that, you know," he says around the coin. He puts the coin back on the table. "I reckon we've got a deal then. I didn't know you were throwing in the 100 gold...er...95 gold on top of it. You just tell me when you need it all ready. I've got some targets set up around back if you want to take the lass to shoot a bit."

He smiles at Baldhart, then at Ankari.

12. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

((Since I was following Ankari assume I'm here as Well))

I don't know what he takes us for but that's Ridicules.
    "Do you really except us to accept that, that's eighty gold worth of equipment, I'm surprised we’re trading it at all. But surely not for what's at best 15 gold pieces worth."

13. Legendary Sidekick

"I'm expecting Arn to drop off an outfit for me at the Crow tonight. We plan to rest there a bit, but we would like everything ready tonight if that's possible."

I look at Burnbright and Ankari.

"If the bow is your weapon of choice, Ankari can train you well. However, you will need to wait until the bow is repurposed. I wish to exercise now. Would you like to join me, Burnbright? Even if you don't plan on using the sword, my training will be good for your arm. A strong arm is a steady arm, and you need one to fire a bow. Isn't that right, gentlemen?"

Why ask them, Baldy?

I know nothing about archery, Nissa! Maybe a wimpy arm is better for shooting. I certainly can't shoot.
    Good. Archery bores Brynhild to tears. But… you don't have to tell the kid that.

14. Ankari

((I don't have the equipment sheet up, but it's more than that. 40 arrows, two knives, two hand axes, a cloak, a backpack and a quiver? Plus the extra 5 GP discount for the longbow, I consider it fair.))

I have an insatiable need to punch Baldhart in the arm. The thought makes me grin. "Sure thing, Warrior Queen. But I have a small task for you to complete before you start. I promised Burnbright a suit of leather armor. Mind taking her to Arn and getting her fit for it? I'll pay."

I realize that our time in this confining village is near an end. Soon, we'll be in the open, beneath twinkling stars and the crisp wind nibbling our ears. I pull 15 gold from my pouch and hand it to Burnbright. "It appears you have made your choice. I'm content. You are now a warrior of our group and must face the world with the confidence of a woman. Go with Baldhart to Arn. Commission leather armor. Haggle with that glib tongue of yours. Whatever you save you keep. If all else fails, point to your protector as a bargaining chip."

I wink at Baldhart and thank Matthew for his sacrifice. "I'll head to the Hooded Crow to fix one last image of human waste in my mind."

15. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

((It sounded like he wasn't giving us the knives or the axes. So when I (Using the Euipment Sheet) calculated gold I didn't count either. But I was Ninja'd by Steerpike so he may be giving us the knives and axes now too, the axes bring the total to at best 31, but knives aren't mentioned in the equipment sheet. But they would have to be twenty gold apiece for this to be near a fair deal))

16. Legendary Sidekick

((Comes out to 27G if you throw in the discount for the Composite Longbow—and I just noticed we could've bought the regular longbow for 75G, but it's kinda cool to get our new marksman the best bow, so I'm fine with this.

I was saying earlier that it's typical for a video game RPG to sell back at 1/3 of the merchant's price. So, yeah, 27G is ~1/3 of ~80G. I'm fine with that, since to not sell means spending more money while keeping more than we can carry.

The crossbow would be fine, too, but if Ankari's teaching archery, he's probably a purist who would never use a crossbow. He's too much of a nature-lover to accept metal armor over leather!

I think we have everything Ankari asked for, now that he clarified. I was buying the 100G longbow, which is the composite, just for the record. If Aliron needs to be stronger to use it, then we'll buy the 75G regular longbow instead.))

17. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

((So have we decided on the deal, I think it's incredibly unwise, but I seem to be in the minority))

18. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

((Why buy new weapons instead of using the ones we have? Two knives and two axes? Why spend the gold with the steep two weapon fighting penalty? The Arrows and Quiver would be unnecary if we stick to the crossbow. I have a backpack I could give to Burnbright as well, so all we would 'need' is the cloak, which is only around 5 gold.))

EDIT: Five Silver

19. Ankari

((Because crossbows require a strength that Burnbright does not have. Also, the attack speed on a crossbow is horrendous (if I remember AD&D rules right). And because, we're RPing. Unwise actions lead to fun stories.))

((Also, Baldhart, I amended my previous post and it has you in it.))

20. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

((Well here's a quote from a Mythic Scribes Article Medieval Archery for Writers))
    ((Sure they take forever to fire, but the fact that they take little training seems worth it to me, especially for someone with no Military training at all. And while Unwise Choices make fun stories, we want to try our best to survive))