1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act II

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Branwen throws herself into Aliron's arms, eyes wide. The child seems to give in to all that as happened as she is being held, and she sobs.

The demons issues another of its rumbling laughs as Mauve spies him. "Comes a deye, you wil mete another of myn kinde." He chuckles again.

2. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

"You speak of things as if they are commonplace. Who are his servants here in the north?" I look up at the demon, wondering if he would favor a male as much as a female if both are equally corrupt. "Why would Aeron want Catli's power? What does he fear in her? Where can I find Aeron himself?"

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. Steerpike

((You all know who Aeron is. He was the dark lord who almost took over the world in the Great War a thousand years ago. The fight that ended him is responsible for killing all of the world's mages at the time and tainting the magic. The idea that he lives is almost ludicrous. But you all know the name well, for it is told in the greatest tales and legends of the world. If you want to edit the question, go ahead)).

4. Ankari

((OK, I removed the first question. Everything else seems right.))

5. Steerpike

"He sent men from the south to treat with our Lady. She sent them away, dissatisfied. Too, he sought word of the Dragon's Egg. If he finds it, he will awaken his old allies. The ancient wyrms will rise from their slumbers in the dark places of the world, and the south will be consumed in fire. Only in the north will we be safe. Our Lady will protect us.

"I do not know where Aeron is. He is not yet in his full power. Somewhere in the south. He wants Catli only as a means to ensure our Lady's loyalty. If she has some greater purpose, I do no know it."

6. Ankari

"What can I expect of Aslaug. Is she mortal as when she bore Catli? Or has she turned into a mockery of the form she once possessed? Does she rule over a nation of men, or orcs (goblinoids)?"

7. Nihal

Nihal Vala

((Assuming the demon is still speaking in elvish.))

I shiver when the creature laughs at me. However, it's not only fear rising inside me, the revolt and pain are there too. I hear the single word a thousand of times echoing in my mind. Grandfather, grandfather, grandfather...

Throwing my weight on the spear, I get to my feet again. "Talk in my language, bastard," I spit the words in anger. I don't wait for the response, for Aeron's name floats to me making me stop in awe. I stare at Calexa and hear her tale, clutching at the spear when she mentions the Egg too.

8. Steerpike

Calexa licks her lips and looks at the demon, fearfully. "Our Lady is yet mortal, so far as I know. She appears as she wills. I am certain I have not seen her true face."

The demon looks increasingly disgusted at Calexa's fear, and increasingly impatient to exercise his new-found freedom. "Keep hir," he grumbles. He looks to Mauve again, smiles wide, then turns and lumbers down the path from the island.

9. Ankari

"You have fulfilled your word and earned mine. Had you but chosen to talk before fighting, none of this would have happened. As it is, pray to your Lady." I bend and kiss her forehead. "I will send your spirit to her. Tell her we are coming."

I jerk my axe across her throat.

10. Steerpike

Calexa tenses, but is not swift enough to react in her condition. She shudders as hot blood spills from the gaping wound in her neck, and then is still.

11. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I turn back to the demon when he says something, trying to listen to Calexa at the same time I watch him. I swear that if it dares to approach me I'll poke so many holes on in it that it will stop smiling! Is it merely taunting me or promising to catch me later? It's a demon, it would be no surprise if it was able to taste the corruption in the air or something. It knows about me, doesn't it?

I keep watching the stone path after it's gone, holding my spear menacing, until a different noise catch my attention.

"Have you ever wondered if we didn't want to ask something now the worst is already done? What have you done, stupid elf? A pact?"

12. Ankari

"I have saved your life, stupid witch." I set Calexa's head down with gentle care. In the end, she was a victim to deep in corruption to escape it's clutches. "You had a chance to ask questions, but you wasted them on feeble threats to a demon far stronger than your spear. Gather the others. I need to pay respects to a worthy foe."

13. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"Oh, I'm sorry if I was shocked when I discovered you were friends with a frigging DEMON! Unless I was really dying, you, oh-so-noble-and-good-ranger just did something way worse than the evil witch here ever did in her whole life!" I take a deep breath, fighting the urge to throw up and look at the others, noticing the unmoving dwarf. "No," I mumble.

Why wasn't it the ranger? The dwarf wasn't nearly as bad as him, yet he's dead and the crazy ranger is here, giving orders.

"Go to hell, ranger. Nevermind, you intend to bring the hell to here. It doesn't matter, do you know what? I'm sick of you withholding information." I stride to him, the most straight I can in my current condition. "Give me her journal, now."

14. Ankari

((Shouldn't Darin be alive as well? That was part of the agreement. All of my companions revived.))

I close my eyes, finding the focus needed to not kill this woman for a third time. "We are similar, witch. Although our goals may be different, we'll do whatever we can to reach them. I could no longer depend on your restraint to take rash steps, so I burned the cursed book." I smile, savoring my words.

"Now, I've had my fill of killing witches down here. Let's go check out the little room and discover what lays within. Maybe you'll find a new book to read."

Before I head to the room, I search Calexa's body.

15. Steerpike

((The demon can't resurrect the dead. He had the power to heal, though with his own dark magic, and thereby revive those who were unconscious, but that's the extent of his ability)).

Calexa has nothing on her body. No jewelry or possessions of any kind. Only her twin swords, which are now scattered across the ground.

16. Ankari

I grab Calexa's swords and carry them in the crook of my arm. They look like suitable weapons for Baldhart. Perhaps she will accept them in place of her cherished wings. "Would you like to accompany me to the room, witch?" I spot Darin's still body and frown. It appears I have been cheated in the bargain. I hope Liadan can do something about that. If not, there is always the elf gate.

"Yes, yes. I'll die. I'll add that promise to the sack of others you've thrown at me. I may die from exhaustion from shouldering all of those worthless words."

17. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"You did what?" I close my fist, feeling the throbbing ache on my shoulder for the first time since I woke up. Taking another deep breath, I fight the urge to punch the ranger. I narrow my eyes, getting closer to him. "Oh, yes, our objectives are different, it seems. You're interested in seeding the maximum pain and death you're able to, evil deed after evil deed. It would be funny if not tragic. Ironic, really."

"Mark my words, you'll be dead before everything is over. It's a promise," I whisper to him and move ahead, in search of the spellbook.

((Ninja'd, but it fits, heh. Answer to the edit: ))

"Oh, don't worry. I do not need to lift a finger to see you killed. Your 'truer than magic' arrows are quite ineffective," I whisper back.

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

I rise somewhat unsteadily, and sigh and bow my head as Ankari and Mauve fight. Why must they spread more fear, mistrust and pain?

"Can you two hold your tongues for a little while? We should all get out of here now that we are able."

Turning to Darin again, I kneel and reach for his limp form, meaning to carry him out.

[​IMG]

But all my strength has left me.

Cadell

I ignore the argument flowing around me, and see my lover struggling to lift Darin's body. On top of my dread at the demon's revelation about Aeron, grief settles into my heart like a stone. I move to help her, hoping my own strength has not dwindled.

[​IMG]

((Is it possible to add those scores together, so the total check for both to lift him simultaneously would turn out as a 12? I still doubt it would work, but...))

19. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I glance sideways at the elf and let out a snort.

Being friend to a demon, hiding and destroying information and putting everyone in danger for this? It's okay! Being a scared wizard who confused you with bandits? Ooooh, it's a wicked crime!

Unbelievable!

I don't utter any word, clenching my teeth and still feeling nauseated. I hold my torn clothes and look at the depression before moving to the stone building in the back of the island. Calexa must have a spellbook, maybe even a journal and it will be mine. She first, next the man, he knew something and might have something of value too—information, of course, not a dumb bow.

((Is the vortex gone?))

20. Steerpike

The stone room has a doorway, unblocked, which leads to a fairly small interior space. Calexa could have fit her upper body into the room, but squeezing her entire bulk in would have been impossible. The inside is lit with shards of the strange white rocks you've seen throughout the caverns.

There is bedding at the far end of the room - enough for at least a couple of people. Next to the bedding, a desk and chair with a book, a wooden plate and cutlery, and a pewter goblet. Beneath the desk is a sturdy chest. To your left as you enter is a row of shelves holding an urn, a series of candles, and scattered bits of bones from a variety of creatures including, it appears, humans. Your immediate right as you enter is empty save for an oil lamp hanging from a spike that has been driven into the wall. It is not lit.