1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act II

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

I try the chest. If it doesn't open, I shout, "Aliron, there is a chest here. I could hack at it, but I'm sure you have a better way of getting to the inside"

To the witch, I say, "There's a pretty book up on the desk. Knock yourself out."

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The chest is locked, and the mechanism looks sturdy. There is no key visible.

3. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Ignoring the ranger, I pick up the book, turn the pages quickly and shake it a little to check if there is something hidden inside it, then stuffing it my backpack. I proceed to gather some of the candles, the bones and anything that remotely resembles a magical component. I take the urn too and move to a better illuminated place to peek inside it, gently shaking it if it's full of ashes to determine if there is something hidden inside it. The whole time I act as if the ranger suddenly became invisible.

4. Steerpike

The book is elegantly bound and full of flowing script. Your quick glance is enough to tell you it is legible. When you shake the urn, you can feel and hear the shifting of the ashes within. There is also a faint metallic clink, as though something striking against the inside of the container.

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

The corners of my mouth twists, if in a grin or a grimace I can't tell. I go to the desk, emptying the contents of the urn on the plate and using a fork to sift through it, looking for what I suppose is the key of the chest–always watching the ranger out of the corner of my eye. I fish the object with the fork, blow the ash away and grab it before the he thinks in snatching it to himself.

6. Steerpike

When you pour the ashes onto the plate, a long iron key comes out with them and hits the plate with a clink. Also, a pair of earrings - gold intertwined with what may be silver, but looks more white at first glance. Apart from the ashes, nothing else comes out.

7. Ankari

I hear the clink in the urn and smile. "Witch, you're senses may be as corrupt as your soul. Check inside the urn. There is something solid within."

Examining the bedding, I crouch and peer beneath the mattress and the beds themselves.

((Ninja'd. Assume this came before she dumped the contents of the urn.))

8. Steerpike

The mattresses are old and dirty. The search yields a small stack of yellowed letters bound with twine. Apart from that, there is nothing of interest in or around the bed.

9. Ankari

I grab the letters and move outside. There is still the fallen archer. I search his body and grab the bow. Aliron deserves this weapon more than I.

10. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I pick the earrings and put them in my pouch. "Sadly, we can say the same about your intellect and your aim, ranger." I glance when he leaves with the letters and say causally, "I'll have a look on those too, bastard."

((If Aliron comes))

"Could you please check for traps before we open the chest?"

11. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

The moment the demon's magic takes effect in my body i jerk awake, coughing and clutching at my throat. Batos whines somewhere close to my ear, and i struggle to open my eyes. The wolf's sky-blue eyes are very much like a human's in the way they express their relief, but when i reach up to touch his head my hands cross something that makes my eyes water. He's burned too now, and despite this strange and dark healing that has revived me and restored most of his burns, there is still marks left from the blaze.

One of Batos's entire forelegs is now just pale skin, the scars stretching up past his shoulder to his withers, and further along his side like a grasping hand, pointed fingers outstretched. Still, we are alive, and I am happy enough for that that i wish i could praise whatever god or goddess had saved us, but i know of none as i grew up alone in the forest, and had very few companions until now.

The wolf bows his head and presses the rune on his forehead over my heart, tail hanging limp between his hind-legs, but the tip wags a bit. He's exhausted after the fight, and deserves a good meal and rest. A wry smile tugs at the corner of my mouth.

The moment I spot Calexa i stiffen, and the wolf steps over me protectively, his eyes going hard in an instant, what remains of his mane standing up. "Uh . . . guys? What's going on?"

12. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I suddenly realize Ankari is calling me, with Branwen in my arms, I move to the chest.
    My heart sinks when I see the elf has the bow. My intentions were to grab that first, but seeing all my friends dead or near dead I actually forgot greed.
    The Ranger made the deal with the devil, I can not ask for it now. He was able to save the group, but at what cost?

I focus on the chest, setting Branwen at my side. I check for traps. Then check to see if it is locked, or has a special latch that the ranger might have missed.

#check traps (bonus=level+elf) [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18
    The Unseen Servant
    : <a href=http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.asp?do=showone&id=13487> #check traps (bonus=level+elf) [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18</a>
    Climb, hide, open locks[1d20+5] = 16+5 = 21
    Climb, hide, open locks[1d20+5] = 16+5 = 21
    The Unseen Servant

"Mauve" I nod as I unlock the chest. Look to Baldhart who has not moved much since the Demon healed the group.
    Since I checked it for traps, and unlocked it, I direct all to stand back, I open it.

[Once opened safely, I will carry Branwen over to Baldhart to check on her. Anywhere I go I will be looking for hidden compartments, doors, new digging etc.
    yes, diamonds have lost their luster for now, I know we will all get a fair share.
    I fear what Baldhart will say when she hears what the ranger did. Will it affect her after life?]
    posted it earlier but said I was not allowed to post, refresh and retry.

13. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"Uhm, hey..." I show the key. "You didn't need to pick the lock, heh." I watch him carry Branwen, feeling sorry for the little, scared harpy and turn back to the chest, opening it and checking its contents.

14. Steerpike

Aliron finds no traps on the chest and opens it easily, even without the benefit of the key. Inside, stacks of gold coins gleams up at him. They are clearly dwarven coinage, and slightly larger than the standard coin of the realm. Also in the chest are a flail, in pristine condition and also evidently of dwarven make, a ceremonial dagger, what looks to be be a folded ceremonial robe, a stoppered glass bottle, and a large pair of leather slippers.

When Aliron takes Branwen back to Baldhart, she squirms free and stands on the ground between them. The child is uncharacteristically quiet, not even humming as she so often does.

Baldhart looks pale, her features drawn. "Aliron? This is Nissa. Baldhart...she's not back yet. Her spirit is someplace else." The barbarian looks worried.

Cadell and Liadan have lifted Darin's body between them. There is no suitable resting place for him here, but dwarven holy ground lies just above.

15. Ankari

((Is the bow the only thing of note on Tommem (was that his name?). I'll post my reaction regardless.))

I straighten from my inspection of the archer. Conscience of the way I must appear with all of these items in my arms, I move to the center of the platform. "Everyone gather around. We must plan our next step and I must share with you what I have learned."

I watch as everyone carry on with their own agenda. They move with the heavy burden of witnessing a crime performed by a loved one. I have no illusions of their affections for me, but hunters care naught for feelings. There is the prey, and the sanctified act of the hunt. Despite myself, I frown at the fallen dwarf. If there is a way to bring his soul back into his body, I'll find it.

"Aliron, take this bow. You are more deserving of it than I. I only ask that you give me your bow in exchange. It is better than mine." Baldhart speaks with a voice that is not hers. How is it that the body lives, yet the soul has fled to a distant place. "Nissa, after I've shared with you the information I've gathered, you will tell me about Baldhart and why she has chosen to flee from her duties."

These barbarians are a prickly people whose sense of duty and honor can manipulate them.

When everyone gathers around, I share with them the words of Calexa. Lianden knows of my promise with the demon. If she chooses to share it, so be it. I am not ashamed for what I've done.

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

Ankari's voice grates against my ears, and I turn to respond, my voice cold. We don't need this right now, this dissent and mistrust. We never needed it. "And what makes you assume it was a choice?"

17. Ankari

"The pixie's own words. She alluded to the possibility of Baldhart's return by using the word 'yet'. What troubles you, knight?"

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I laugh, but the sound is mirthless, icy. "You really have to ask? Take a look at who lies in my arms. I have had enough of your gall, Ankari. You may be honest, but it is that honesty, that brutality, which drives a wedge between you and the rest of us. If you could speak that same truth but gently, even civilly, we would all be better off."

19. Ankari

"Knight, formality and protocol has forever been the vice of civilization. You judge me for what is evident on my face, yet not in my chest. I won't blame you for your blindness, nature will kill off the weak. I ask only that you do not judge what you cannot comprehend."

These companions will grow strong. They have to. The task ahead will grind away the feeble. All that matters is the girl. And the oath with the demon. The faster I can get this done, the sooner it leaves this world.

"I will not claim knowledge of the way of knights and warriors, but I think it's similar to a ranger's. We will have time to unthread our hearts and pour out its contents when we survive the quest ahead. Hell, I may buy you a horn of ale. But for now, rid yourself of your sorrow and let us continue on the task we have taken as our own. Let us fight for the living."

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

He calls me 'knight', and I remember that he does not yet know what became of me. No one does but Liadan. But now is not the time to speak of that.

"If you speak differently than you think, and look differently than you feel, then something is clearly amiss. Hypocrisy will get you nowhere." I don't want to rise to the bait he dangles before me, but he has to understand how his words and actions affect those around him. If I do not speak, who will?

He speaks of sorrow, and my mouth tightens for a moment. "Some sorrows are not so easily thrown off. For now, though, I agree. Perhaps we can find somewhere to lay Darin to rest."

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013