1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act II

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 11, 2013.

  1. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    I sigh, checking if the slippers fit my feet, knowing it's futile–they're too large. I should have checked the caged bodies too, before my feet freeze off.

    Putting some of the ash inside a vial, I close the chest, pick the lamp and any oil I find before leaving. I see the others gathering, so I point behind me and inform them, "There is just a treasure. We can carry it and split later."

    The ranger repeats Calexa's words. I'm satisfied he had the decency of telling us everything this time, for I lost many words and details when attempting to hear the questioning before. When he and Cadell exchange dry words, I cross my arms and let it progress a bit, shaking my head at some points.

    "Ranger, these protocol and civility 'vices' are our nature, without it most sentient races would be dead already. Even animals have their own protocols, if they kept baring their fangs at each other their pack would not survive, and despite your silly belief, not all the weak get crushed. Everything was weak at some point of its life. You are not a five years old anymore to reject the need of civility, the sooner you understand that, the better." I adjust my tunic and mutter a curse when my fingers get dirty, cleaning the blood on my cloak.

    I raise my eyes, glancing at Baldhart–or would it be Nissa? She's not bad, but surprisingly, I miss Baldhart. I look back at the others. "Life magic eludes me, I do not know if it is possible to bring Darin back, if not today, in the future, I only know we owe it to him.

    "If we can do it now, we should, if not, let's lay him to rest in a safe place and rest ourselves. I do not know about you, but I do intend to keep going after Aslaug. While resting we can read Calexa's letters to see if there is any other useful information hidden there, and I need to study her book at some point. Before leaving this place, we can still try to have some questions answered. Don't you find it odd that they received orders to keep us occupied, not dead? The man knew something, too, but was forced to comply to Calexa's whims. We could still ask him, or even Calexa again, I have learned something in these tunnels that will allow me to speak with the dead.

    "After this, we could try to find Burnbright if this stupid city is not too far, and buy supplies before we run out of food, however in all the sincerity I do not believe we will be fast enough to avoid Aslaug getting her hands on the girl first."

    I look away when I almost add 'and if we see it, we kill the demon'. It's no easy task, yet amn't I someone who loves impossible tasks? Now I not only need to reach Blackshard Mountain, but I need to do this before Aeron does!

    I sigh, "You know, not many mages are left to kill themselves this time if Aeron wake up the dragons. We're all going to die this time."
     
  2. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    508
    113
    I take the bow and sit next to Baldhart examining it.
    "We need to get to Burnbright as soon as we can. But we must rest, most are still weak from the near death injuries, I am(was) injured more in this battle then any previous. We were injured in our hearts as well as our body, we lost a trusted comrade, nearly lost half the group. we must honor him, but we have one that has not returned to us.
    We can plan as we rest, time will not be wasted."
    I smile at Branwen, then look to Baldhart,
    "Awaken Baldhart, your time and duty on this world is not complete yet. Forsake thy wings and suffer with us until the end of this journey. In triumph or in death, we are in need of thy services still. Branwen needs you."
    [what kind of swords are Calexa's?]
    With that, I lift Branwen and walk around the room examining everything for anything concealed or hidden. Keeping my mind off of Baldhart and the demon promise the ranger made.
    I pay extra attention to the arch way they walked through. It hinted of magic.
     
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  3. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,129
    3,484
    413
    ((Tommen had the bow and a dagger on him. The dagger is well-made but doesn't look special beyond that. Searching the stone room reveals no secret doors or other hiding places. Calexa's swords a scimitars. Those of you familiar with some of the more distant human cultures might know the name for them, otherwise they appear somewhat like slightly curved longswords. How she came by them, you don't know.

    The magic vortex closed soon after the demon and Ankari made their bargain.

    The healing done by the demon restored HP only, and had no effect on mana)).

    Mauve slides the slippers onto her feet. They are leather, but supple and soft on the feet. As soon as she has them on, the leather starts to shrink, and before she even has time to cry out in surprise the slippers are sized for her feet. The fit is snug, but it does not appear that they will be hard to remove.

    Tommen's bow is finely made, the wood carved with decorative designs in the style of the elves, though the bow appears to be quite old. The name "Heartseeker" is written along the center of the bow, in elvish script.

    ((INT check from any elf to see if they know more about this particular bow)).

    Baldhart-Nissa sits cross-legged from the floor. Hearing Ankari's words, she turns. "Is it possible she can't come back? I just...I assumed there must be a reason I'm here, keeping this body warm. I don't know how much longer I can do it, though. Moving these muscles was easier at first. Now I feel like I'm in a fog half the time."

    She shakes her head. "I agree with Mauve and Aliron. We need to find Burnbright, fast. Calexa as much as admitted she was distracting us. But how did they know Burnbright was back in the village in the first place?" She falls silent at that, looking tired and smiling weakly at Branwen, who huddles nearby.

    When Aliron tries to talk to Baldhart, the big barbarian sits still, as though concentrating. Then Baldhart-Nissa shakes her head again. "It's no use. I'm not getting anything."

    When Mauve mentions what Calexa said about Aeron, Baldhart-Nissa chuckles, though there is little humor in it. "It sounds like a fairy tale, Mauve. More likely, Aslaug used the story to frighten them, like tales told to children to keep them in line."

    Though singed, Batos is relaxed now that the demon is gone and the magic vortex closed. Baldhart-Nissa smiles at Keitsumah. "He's a good protector. And a fierce opponent."

    There is nothing else of note atop the island. The lizards used effective but unremarkable weapons. A few have shiny rocks or a copper coin or two in pouches that survived the fire, but none have much of value, whether it was not allowed to them or for other reasons.

    The archway leading into the area is carved with strange runes. The one that flashed as Mauve came through is more prominent than others. Examining it, and even passing under the arch again, does not cause it to flash.

    ((INT check from any spellcaster to try to learn more)).
     
  4. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,469
    313
    Cadell

    I look at the bow that was retrieved from Tommen's corpse, examining it closely. Maybe I can identify it.

    [​IMG]
    ((Forgot to add my level, so that's a 7.))

    Sadly, this weapon is a mystery to me.

    Líadan

    I move to examine the archway, looking curiously at the runes engraved there.

    [​IMG]

    Alas, they are unintelligible to me.
     
  5. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    ((Yay, shoes that won't risk falling off! I guess she will combine it with the one Cadell made, for warmth.))

    "It could be only a story," I move near Baldhart and lower my voice, feeling foolish, "but I believe it is not. Do not ask how do I know, I just know it. Something is on the move, and it could be him. Why not? Most people would not believe there are still mages around, or that a valkyrie could watch over someone and even materialize at her side. Why not? It fits well. And the Egg is just sitting there, waiting to be seized—no, actually I do not believe the Council dead either. I know I sound silly, but... whatever. The probability is higher than you think."

    I glance at Aliron and Líadan examining the arch. I'm curious about it, too, though I have my own theories. First I step through it and back inside, what seems to yield no result, then I take a closer look.

    [​IMG]
    ((It's 13 actually, I forgot to update my macro with my new lovely level.))
     
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    Ireth likes this.
  6. Keitsumah

    Keitsumah Inkling

    596
    39
    28
    I smile tiredly back at Baldart, but it's a worried one. What if Baldart does not return to her body, or worse, what if she is stuck in the ether?

    "Nissa . . . what may happen if Baldart does not return? Will she be stuck in between?" I ask, rubbing Batos's shoulder absent-mindedly. The wolf whines. Baldart is the only other person he'd taken a liking to, and despite the fact that he knows that no one else in the group would harm me now, does not mean that he wouldn't remain aware that anything could happen.
     
  7. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,129
    3,484
    413
    Baldhart-Nissa frowns at Mauve's words. "Let's hope it's just a story." To Keitsumah, she says "I...I don't know what will happen. I can only keep this body going for a short time. I'm not even sure how much longer that will be. I'll do my best to keep it alive in hopes that Baldy's spirit will return. If it doesn't, I guess she'll die and I'll see her in spirit only."

    The bow is a mystery to Cadell. It is elven, but it does not look like something made by his own people. Perhaps by a distant group of elves.

    The runes on the archway are old, but beyond that Liadan cannot tell anything about them. Mauve, however, has a bit better luck. The rune that lit up is some kind of glyph, a type of symbol that was once imbued with magical properties back before the Great War. Often, passing near the glyph triggered spell-like effects set by the creator. It triggered when Mauve passed through it, though studying it does not reveal what the glyph did.
     
  8. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    "If Baldhart was to die now probably she would just die, right? Nissa should guide her soul, if not even she knows where Baldhart is, then, it is not her time yet. I guess." I run my fingers lightly over the arc's surface.

    "This rune had some sort of magic imbued in it, it is the kind of stuff you used to see before the war. I believe it was triggered when I passed by as the most of them used to be, although I have no idea of what effect it had." I shrug my shoulders. "Unless it sealed the tunnels or sent a message to someone, I can not think of any bad side effect. I am the one who triggered it, and I am still alive."

    "Yet, I do not know why—" I narrow my eyes, studying the inscriptions closely and attempting to determine if they are as ancient as the rest of the temple and if not, how recent they are.

    [​IMG]
     
  9. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    508
    113
    ability check (int and Dex prime) [1d20] = 6
    The Unseen Servant
    if level applies its still only a 7. (I guess I know as much as Cadell, we both got a 6.)

    As in all things dealing with Int, even as prime, he doesn't know anything. He learned most of his lessons on the street.

    [no chance for me to understand the arch. Just looking at it for elven lore I might know.]
    oh, well. I happily except bad rolls in times when it isn't life or death. Would be nice for the ignorant thief to prove he knows something everyone else didn't...once. :)
     
  10. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,469
    313
    Cadell

    I sigh and look wearily around at the others. "Shall we rest here, then, or find somewhere a little more desirable? We could go back to the Gaita..."
     
  11. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,129
    3,484
    413
    Mauve studies the inscriptions on the arch. They are old - exactly how old is impossible to say. The glyph that flashed when she passed under it is much newer. The rock of the arch is chipped away around the glyph, indicating that the original carving or inscription was defaced to make way for the glyph.

    Baldhart-Nissa is up, pacing as Nissa tries to establish better control over Baldhart's body. "Come on, Baldy," she mutters, "get your butt back here."

    At the mention of rest, she nods. "We need it, I guess. But if Calexa's job was to keep us here, I bet Aslaug is getting ready to go after Burnbright in Srilkind. If she hasn't already."
     
  12. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    "Yeah, the shiny rune is newer. Unless I fall dead in the next hours I bet it alerted someone of our presence." I glance over my shoulder. "You're right. Let's rest near the Gate, or in the other side–just do not leave it open with a demon roaming around. Lord Aeron was known for his unorthodox friendships, the least we can do is to not provide a convenient shortcut to our unexpected visitor." I start back to the room.

    "It takes more than one day to reach the city, doesn't it? I see no reason to not sleep what we will inevitably need to sleep now, near a escape route, and leave straight to the city... Though I believe she is already there. We wasted too much time, heh.

    "We need to move the chest. I am in good shape now, yet I would appreciate some help." When I enter it, I lock the chest to make sure it won't open by accident when transported and get a hold of one side.

    [​IMG]
     
  13. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,129
    3,484
    413
    ((Srilkind is about 6 hours away by foot)).

    Mauve is able to drag the chest out into the open. When Baldhart-Nissa sees her, she runs over to help, and holding the chest between the two of them they are able to carry it easily enough.
     
  14. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    ((I know it's annoying, but Mauve doesn't know. xD))

    "Thanks. Uhm, Nissa, this 'Valkyrie taking over her protegee body when she-dies-and-her-spirit-goes-missing' never happened before, right? When you die you just die, and if you did lost her spirit when you should be guiding it you would have been already be scolded by now." I smile gently at her. "Then calm down, everything will be fine. Enjoy... the ride?"
     
  15. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,129
    3,484
    413
    ((Oh yeah, you're right, Mauve doesn't know)).

    Baldhart-Nissa puffs out a breath as she sets the chest down, waiting for a group consensus on what to do next. "The journey to Srilkind takes about half a day. Counting the daylight hours only. If we left after breakfast, we would reach the village by noon."

    When Mauve makes her 'enjoy the ride' comment, Baldhart-Nissa chuckles, then looks around at the death and destruction atop the island. "I just hope I don't put any more holes in this body while I'm using it. That last fight almost didn't end well for us." She frowns at Darin's body. "For some of us, it didn't end well at all."
     
  16. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    "Half a day? I've been making a fool of myself! Then we should, I-I don't know—" I get silent, thinking. "Right, we need to be practical.

    "The injured still require rest, but let's keep it at the minimum necessary. We still have berries, use it to cut the recovery time. To the Gate now." I nod. "I will study the book, the letters must be read too. Split the chest contents... They are dwarven coins, I think Darin should still get his share; that's how dwarves do, right, bury their dead with treasures?

    "We shall lay him to rest when moving back to the surface, or we split now and the injured rest while we see to him. I will miss him."
     
  17. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,129
    3,484
    413
    ((Next person to post should make an executive decision about where the party is going to rest, and for how long, and what is being done with Darin's body in the mean time :D. I could always have Baldhart-Nissa do it, but I'd rather leave it in the hands of the players if possible)).
     
    Ireth likes this.
  18. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,095
    1,469
    313
    Cadell

    I look at Mauve and nod. "Mauve is right, we should move and accomplish as much as we can now. Those who are injured will rest at the Gaita, while those who are still hale will tend to Darin." I shift my hold on the body in my arms, which seems to grow heavier by the moment. "I will lead the party to bury Darin. Líadan, I know you likely cannot cast again for a while, but you may borrow my needle and thread to tend to those who need it." I nod toward Matthew, who still sports at least two arrows in his body. Thanks to the demon's healing, they do not seem to be causing him any more pain, but they may turn out to be a nuisance.

    Líadan

    I turn to Cadell when he speaks, and nod slowly at his words. But his last comment urges me to speak up. "If that is so, then you should stay here long enough for me to tend to you as well." I gesture to the arrow in his thigh.

    Cadell

    I look down at the arrow, my memory jogged, and sigh. That is likely to break off and become a nuisance as well, perhaps even digging deeper into me. How much damage would it do to cut the shaft out, and how many goodberries would it take to heal that? The same, I suppose, must be asked of Sir Matthew as well.
     
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  19. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,129
    3,484
    413
    The party heads back to the Gaita, laden with Calexa's chest as well as Darin's body. Baldhart-Nissa says to Cadell: "I'm sure Baldy would want to be part of whatever you're going to do with Darin. This body is hurt, though. I think it would be better if I rest. Baldy isn't really here, anyway."

    The trip back to the Gaita is long and cold, the weight of the darkness heavy around you, punctuated only by the points of light provided by the party and the scattered fragments of white rock. The body of the dwarf adds to the somber scene.

    As the party makes the trip, Branwen tugs at Aliron's pant leg and lifts her arms to indicate she wants to be held. When he picks her up, she puts her head on his shoulder and is breathing deeply in sleep just moments after.

    When you reach the Gaita, it is immediately clear that someone else has preceded you. The Gaita is open, a shimmering forest visible within the confines of the arch. The lush plant growth at the near end of the Gaita has been trampled, as though someone beat a path through it and to the gate.

    There is no sign of anyone in the area now, however.
     
  20. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    508
    113
    "Did anyone notice when you entered, did the entry flash with every person in the group, or just the spell casters? Should I not exit through it? I didn't enter via it. Maybe they know our number by how many entered?"

    I then realize I still have a crossbow bolt stuck in my shoulder.
    "I guess someone will have to fix me up too. I hope we don't encounter any hostiles on the way, were not too good a condition, and I will probably have to carry Branwen. "
     
Loading...

Share This Page