1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act II

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I stop dead as we reach the Gaita, my breath congealing in my throat. Someone else has been here. Was I followed by the queen's guards after all? No, the damage leads toward the gate and into it... Then did the lizards find it? How could they open it?

The demon. It has to be. What havoc has he wreaked, whether in Rhuddin or in Aelwyd Eirian? I still have friends there, in Caer Celynnen and Dunhold. Can they defend themselves against that monster and his power?

What have we done?

Líadan

My pulse quickens as I survey the damage done to the area around the gate, and one thought races to the forefront of my mind. The demon.

I did this... I set it loose. Now the elves and mortals alike will be in danger, perhaps even killed, and the greater part of the blame lies on my shoulders. Can we do anything, or will that revoke our pact with the demon, and make our chances of slaying Aslaug that much slimmer? Are the lives of my kinfolk and friends worth that of one woman?

2. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Before the Gaita (answer to Aliron)

"It flashed only with me, I think. Yeah, you definitely need to rest. We must count those berries and share them, though the group seeing to Darin should take some, just to be safe. Upon their–or should I say 'our'?–return the injured should consume these berries too."

After the Gaita

I look immediately at the ranger.

Are you happy now?

But I say no word against him, even if it's the perfect situation. Placing the chest on the ground, I organize my thoughts before talking, "So, that's the problem with demons.

"And this particular problem is now out of our reach. We should proceed as we intended. Rest, recover yourselves." I scratch my chin. "It would be useful to know if there is any way to summon this demon–do not do it right now, we are no match to it!" I retrieve Calexa's book from my backpack. "However, later we might be able to do something."

I flip through the pages, scanning its contents and reading the spell's names. Something...

3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I look to Mauve and shake my head. "To my knowledge, the demon can only be summoned once the pact is fulfilled. Summoning it now would not be to our benefit."

I look to the Gaita again, grateful that at least I had given warning of danger to the queen before my exile. Whether or not she believed me, or took up any actions to defend herself and her people, is another matter entirely.

Another thought nags at me... am I exiled from the entire forest, or only from Caer Celynnen? Might we not seek refuge at Dunhold, and perhaps aid them against the demon? The people there know me and my lover, and they would be more accepting of my remaining comrades than my own (former) people. At the very least we could give them due warning, even if circumstance demands we do not stay there.

4. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"This..." I turn another page without raising my eyes from the book. "...would be a good time to tell what happened there. I was a bit off, you know, and in any case I understood nothing of what the creepy abomination said. What happened util we woke up? By the way does anyone know what was it saying when it taunted me?"

((No need to repeat word by word there if you don't want to waste your time. =P))

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

Memories of my exile come swarming to my mind again. I look at Mauve and sigh, then glance at Nissa-Baldhart. "I would prefer to tell that tale when Baldhart returns, if we can be sure she will. I think she would appreciate hearing it for herself, not second-hand, and I do not care to tell it more than once."

I pause and shake my head. "No, nevermind, you meant with Calexa..." I explain what took place, to the best of my understanding, hoping that none of the others will think ill of Ankari or Líadan on account of this. I make certain to emphasize the grey nature of the choice, to let them know that this was only the lesser of two evils.

Líadan

I stay quiet for the most part as Cadell explains what happens, until he gets to the pact we made with the demon. "In case anyone would think to vilify me for this, remember that I had no other choice but to allow myself, or any of the other women here, to be taken by that thing for its pleasures if we did not agree to the pact, and that person would surely now be trapped in the demon's realm. So be thankful that your virtues are intact, and you are all still here."

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  6. Nihal

Nihal Vala

What did he think I meant?

I hear the tale in silence, now finally looking away from the book and nodding. When they are finished and act defensively, I walk to them and lower my voice to barely a whisper, tucking strands of rebellious hair to behind my ear to allow a clear sight of my face. "I know I was angry—I am not ready yet to cope with... it. Ever wondered how I got those ugly scars?" I raise my hand before they can react and add, "It was not that bad, okay? It only toyed with me a little—uh, that sounded wrong. Dragged me around and ripped some of my skin..." I trail off. It sounded less gruesome in my head.

"Forget it. The fact is I do not like them. I do not like what they do with the majority of the casters who fall to the corruption and are unlucky enough to open this 'door'. It is quite reasonable, isn't it?" I glance at Líadan. "I must confess I had no idea you could perform this kind of magic. Do you mind telling me which words the enchantment contained? Every piece of knowledge is helpful. It does not need to be now, if you think you will not forget it in the next hours."

7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

I look at Mauve in morbid curiosity as she speaks to me. I cannot hold back a shudder when she speaks of how she received her scars, and hastily push back thoughts of the black-skinned demon having his way with me. My stomach churns, but I manage not to vomit. I take deep breaths before I answer, just as softly as she spoke.

"I have no working knowledge of arcane magic; my focus is and always has always been healing. I only repeated the words the demon instructed me to say." I echo them for her, the words of my native tongue flowing smoothly from my lips, but with no power behind them to have any effect on us.

8. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

The gate is open. My hands tighten around the handle of the axes below the head. Of all the places it has chosen to go, it would be to my people. Duty keeps me here, guilt tugs at my heart.

The others talk in the maddening way they favor. Talk and carve dark alcoves in their minds, press deep inside and moan of the harshness of life. I still my tongue and let them while I do the same.

When they quiet their tongues, I glance at the witch. "Are you able to discern any power on these swords?"

The people need a warning. I am well enough to give it to them while the others rest. A small payment on the debt of guilt.

9. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I feel my face getting hot when Líadan looks at me with a strange expression, a mix of horror and pity I guess. I don't have the heart to try to correct my sentence again, just shaking my head and chasing away the suspicion of what truly happened that day. At that time I assumed the creature tried to inflict the maximum pain it could without killing instantly, but now, what if...

"I'm fine. We got much to do," I mumble.

Pulling a parchment out of my backpack I quickly write down the words, taking notes about the spelling and details about the ritual, even asking to describe the symbol and sketching it. I breath slowly, letting my mind be absorbed in the matters at hand, looking back at Líadan when done.

I suppress the need to moan and roll my eyes when the ranger talks to me, talking to Líadan first. "I forgot to thank you. That axe would probably have been my end, but you brought me back.

"Now would be too risky, I am too tired," I look over my shoulder to the ranger. "Before you get done with your rest, I will verify the new items." I run my fingers through my hair. "We still need to see to Darin. Bald–Nissa, can you split the berries?" I glance at the others. "The ones staying here split one half of them and eat, you can have the other half upon our return if everything goes well. Nissa, Sir Matthew, come with me. The others can join, however I believe you must focus on recovering now. We will not take too long, but do not forget to keep a watch.

"Aliron, would you be so kind and take care of the chest?" I hand him the key. "Those are some pretty coins, cheer up... Although I will get some for Darin, I guess it's how dwarves do." I cross my arms. "Right. To the work–and rest now. Time flies."

10. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"Does anyone know about the "Heartseeker" bow? I believe it is magical, I think I can feel it when I touch it, but anyone know anything about it?" I glance at my shoulder.
    "I won't try it out until my shoulder is better, or we have to fight something."

"You trust a thief to divide the treasure? Someone count with me, I don't want to be accused of taking more then I earned."
    [No finder's fee on this one, I didn't find it, I didn't remove any traps and it wasn't locked.]
    "Equal shares for the...Darin." I look at Liaden,"I am only asking to ensure the party is in agreement, not suggesting anything, equal shares to all that were in these last battles?"
    [how many shares is that, its hard keepng track when we have players running several characters.]
    Mauve, Baldhart, Ankari, Aliron, Mathew, Cadell, Liadan, Keit, Darin (no shares:baltos and Branwen)
    9 shares?

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

I nod when Aliron looks at me. "That seems fair to me. I can have a look at the bow, to see if I can discern anything."

If he gives me the bow, I will examine it.

[​IMG]
    ((Nothing, apparently... why have all her INT rolls sucked so far? D=

Maybe that was the wrong check... should I have done WIS instead to detect magic?))

12. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"I trust you, Aliron." I smile.

"Keep what are not coins in a pile so I can look for magic in them later," I say efficiently. "Inside the chest are also a robe, a ceremonial dagger, a bottle, a dwarven flail. Oh, and those slippers—" I show a foot. "—those are enchanted, they shrunk to fit my feet when I tried them. I am in desperate need for shoes, so I will keep them for a while.

"Uhm, I also found earrings, I will verify them as well. I know nothing of bows and we know it's enchanted, but if you wish it checked put in the pile." I turn to Baldhart. "Make sure to bring the ring of the cold with you, I will need it. Here, take the necklace back." I return it to her.

"I think I forgot nothing." I nod, satisfied.

((I think they guessed the bow is magical, the elves' int rolls are to see if they know more about it.))

13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

The elven bow is an interesting artifact indeed, and something that is not at all common. It would be interesting to know how Tommen came by it. The bow itself has some elven script on it, and by combining their knowledge of the lore of the people and reading what is on the bow, the elves of the party are able to piece together its purpose. The bow acts normally as a finely-crafted bow imbued with certain magical properties to make it more accurate. Once per day, however, the wielder may utter the command words (which are the words 'heart seeker' in the elven tongue, or a near translation of it). If the wielder is fixed on a target when the command words are uttered, the next shot fired hits that target unerringly, and with increased damage.

There are a few such bows in existence, and the elves have heard of them, and some of the older elves may even have seen one in the past.

((Just to make this easy for whoever has the bow - it normally operates as a +1 longbow, due to the increased accuracy imparted by magic. Once per day it can hit unerringly and does 1d8+5 damage. You have to have the target in view and identifiable enough that you can fix an image of the target in your mind when you say the command words. The bow won't shoot around corners or cause arrows to make 180-degree turns, so it has to be reasonable for the target to be hit by adjustments in the path of the shot)).

Determining where the Gaita opens to is easy for the elves to do. It is open to Rhuddin.

Baldhart-Nissa nods to Mauve at the mention of the berries. "Of course. I'm happy to divide what remains among the group."

((I'll have to search through the threads to figure out how many berries are left. I don't have that information)).

14. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((And to make this even easier for whoever has the bow, I looked up the Welsh translation of "Heartseeker"; it translates to Ceisiwr y Galon -- literally "seeker [of] the heart".))

Cadell

My arms ache from the weight of Darin's body, and I lay him gently down upon the grass. I would say he looks peaceful, but for the way he still grips the haft of his axe. A fitting pose for a warrior to die and be buried in, I think. I wish I had some token of friendship to give in return for the medallion he gave me.

"Líadan," I call to her, shrugging off my own pack, "bring me the pack you brought for me. I want to see if I have anything fitting to bury him with."

She sets it down by my side, and we each search through one.

((will post again after work, hopefully once I decide what specific prized things Líadan brought for him, and what would be fitting as a burial gift.))

15. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

The letters offer little aid in resolving the mystery of events in the north. Each word presses against my heart like lead. I fold the letters and carefully place it in my pack. Rejoining the group, I hear them speak of Darin and burial.

"Liandin, do your people not possess one able to resurrect the dead? Surely, one possess the power." The clink of metal as Aliron counts the coins catches my attention. "I would ask that we divide the gold up in ten. After we secure Catli, I need to take a portion of it to someone named Dalla."

16. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"Is Dalla someone you read about in those papers? I will divide it as the group wishes. 9 parts, 10 parts, 12 parts. How ever it is wished."
    I toss a coin into a stack, then add:
    "I would gladly give my portion back to have that annoying dwarf alive again and Baldhart back whole again."

[just to clarify, the one shot was used today? I think we will probably be resting close to a day, if not longer]

17. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"In any case we still need to lay Darin to rest in a safe place. We have no time now to set on this quest and unless you are willing to carry him all the way to this town and back he will be a burden slowing us down." I uncross my arms. "It is nice you are already making plans for after Burnbright's rescue. Before we set after Aslaug you can seek a way to bring him back and warn the elves at the same time. Meanwhile, I shall take a week off." I smirk.

"So, who the hell is Dalla? Spit it out, elf."

18. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"Ah, Mauve." I frown at her, "can you please curse his occupation, not his race? I tried not to speak ill of Dwarves out of respect to Darin, Please don't judge all elves by him. He and I are nothing alike."
    "So who is Dalla, Ranger?"

Whats the total count of coins? (since we haven't decided how many shares, we'll have to figure the amount for each later.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

"It is Líadan," I correct him softly. Then I sigh. "I am sure some have the power, but it is well beyond my reach, and difficult to ask of any of our party. To bring back one who is dead, another sentient being's life must be given in the former's place, to maintain the balance. If there is a way that does not require sacrifice, it is beyond both my knowledge and my skill."

20. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"Sorry!" I whisper to Aliron with a half smile. "No offense meant."

The explanation given by Líadan makes the beginning of a plan pop up in my mind. I keep quiet, braiding my hair and waiting Ankari enlighten us.