1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act II

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I listen as the others speak, but do not comment, still focused on finding a burial gift for Darin. My fingers brush something at the bottom of my pack, and I pull it out with interest. It is a silver ring, wrought in the shape of a verdant bough; each little leaf is an emerald.

"So that's where that went," I murmur to myself. I had thought it lost as I packed to leave Caer Celynnen initially; it must have snagged on the pack's lining somehow and slipped off my finger. In any case, it seems a fitting token to give to Darin.

I bend over the dwarf's body, easing one cold hand away from the haft of his axe. The ring fits comfortably on my middle finger; it looks as though it will fit Darin's little finger. I slide the ring gently over his knuckles, then move his hand back into place around his weapon. The ring fits him snugly, glittering in the warm light around the Gaita.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Couple of questions - Where did Mauve go for berries? Through the gate, or back up to the surface? Also, there has been talk to going into Rhuddin to warn of the demon. Who, if anyone, is going to do that? Or are you going to worry about Srilkind first?)).

As the party discusses their next action, Baldhart-Nissa seems to drift away, mentally, for a time. After a moment, she shakes her head, then staggers forward onto one knee. Slowly, she raises herself up. Her face has the beginnings of an expression of panic, which is not something you've ever seen on Baldhart's face. "Oh, goddess, where is she? I don't think I can keep this big...lumbering...lug of a body moving much longer. How does she live in this thing? When she gets back she's going to hear about doing this to me!"

Branwen, meanwhile, has been set down and wanders around the cavern, though never straying too far from the party. Once, she squats down close to the water of the cavern and scoops some of it up with her hands, taking a long drink of the cold, black waters. After drinking, she walks back over to Aliron, looks at the pack he carries with him, then points at her mouth.

3. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"Baldhart," I shout "Branwen is hungry, she prefers your cooking!"

{{{how many coins?}}}

"Might I borrow one of those curved swords to practice with? I am thinkning of using two weapons in certain situations. I might be able to get comfortable with one of them. A double backstab might just adjust the attitude of a foe in our future? I will not ask for both. The bow is much more then I deserve anyway. I would accept a normal longsword if the person taking Calexa's has one. I'm not trying to take more then I should. After all they might be magical, and having more people hitting the same target is more important then one person hitting more often."
    [edited after Pm from SP, saying Calexa's swords will qualify for long sword for elf bonus)
    Unless some sign of response from Baldhart, I will ask:
    "Does anyone have some food for Branwen? Maybe we should cut some meat from a lizard to carry for her?"
    "Have we tried her with anything other then meat?"

[We have burnt lizard flesh back in the room, but if we have something closer...]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. Steerpike

((All told, there are 712 dwarven gold coins in the chest. A nice haul, to be sure)).

Baldhart-Nissa drifts away again, then snaps to attention. "What's that? Food? Oh, OK. I don't think she's shown interest in anything other than meat, so far. And raw meat seems to be her favorite. I guess harpies don't get sick from it. I can go get some lizard meat if I can get these darn tree-trunk legs working right."

With that, Baldhart-Nissa heads out of the room with a determined look on her face, back toward the enormous cavern where a number of dead lizards are strewn about.

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

((Mauve went nowhere for berries. =P
    Those are the ones they already had.))

"Change of plans. Nissa, you should not wander alone, and you should stay and rest." I sigh. "Damn, time is a thing we do not currently have to waste! You must make your mind about Darin now. I know I shall head straight to Srilkind after resting a little, if anyone wants to stay and stroll through the forest with Darin, have fun, but stop wasting my time. Ankari!"

6. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

It is a question of hope or action. I kneel on the opposite side of Darin, stare at the placid face buried in hair, and mull over the proper course. Liadan claims the magic needed to resurrect a soul requires the giving of another. There is balance to that stipulation, one that I must honor and hate.

Mauve clucks like a chick eager to catch the attention of a mother besieged by a cluster of hungry chicks. I wonder if the other members would find it a boon to give her life for Darin's.

"We have no choice. Let us take him to a quiet place in these temples and bury him there. I recall one of the earlier rooms where other dwarves were buried. That will do."

I hold one of Calexa's swords by the blade. The group doesn't understand what passed between us. The fear in Calexa's eyes at the mention of the conflict between Aslaug and Aeron gave a glimpse of the soul beneath the facade. It is the same fear a prey displays as the mouth of a predator crushes its neck. I had taken her life while sparing her from a worse fate. "Yes, Aliron, you can use one of her swords. I trust you with it."

7. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"Nissa, I was hoping Elf Chick would bring Baldhart back. I was not expecting you to do it. She cared for Branwen, I thought maybe it ..."

"We have a demon possibly attacking a city, we have Burnbright in danger, and we have a honorable warrior that has fallen. I believe we must honor the fallen now, then decide which path to follow. Dreaming of life from death won't help."

8. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I throw my hands in the air. "Thanks to whatever god, a decision at last! Everyone agree? Excellent!"

Dropping my backpack, I remove some rations and other unnecessary items while I explain, "I need to travel lighter. You can eat some of my food while you wait." I double check Calexa's tome, making sure the case is sealed. I wouldn't forgive myself if it got somehow damaged.

"I was going to take Nissa with me, however Baldhart is exhausted and should rest. I need someone to come with me and Sir Matthew to see to Darin, I am physically fine, yet still out of spells." I throw the bag on my shoulder again and walk to Baldhart. "I believe the berries are with you? Could you please give us half? Thanks."

Glancing over my shoulder I add, "The wolf girl should turn more berries as soon as possible. Someone must look for more in the forest, with her and her wolf. Do not go too far. Then everyone rest. Remember, we must hurry if we wish to save Burnbright, I was not wanting to make everyone nervous but you seem to have not fully grasped the gravity of the situation."

"Meanwhile, ranger, talk about Dalla to the others. No, we will not forget it." I give him a small mischievous smile before turning my back at him.

I drop my shoulders, thinking in what is yet to be done and on how little sleep I am going to get. "Right, the ones staying should say your farewell to Darin now." I collect his gifts while waiting and stretch myself, getting ready to carry the dwarf.

9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

Elf chick? Aliron's name for me makes me bristle, but I keep my voice relatively calm as I respond. "My name is Líadan, and I would appreciate you calling me such. Besides being rather demeaning, it is misleading. I am not the only female elf here."

Cadell

I raise my head as Mauve speaks, and stand up as I answer. "I will go with you." The arrow in my thigh can wait a little longer. I allow Mauve to pick up Darin, if she wishes; she seems much stronger than me, for her smaller size. I linger but a moment longer to kiss Líadan goodbye, then walk out with the others.

My heart grows heavier as we move further, but strangely, my grief soon spins itself into poetry. I fixate on the words that string together in my mind, and try to put them to a tune; they would make a fitting song to bury him by. Lament, O stones, a brother's fall...

10. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"Really? And where do you think you are going with this thing stuck on you? I am really tempted to yank it out of you and give you a berry, humph. You carry some of the things and the torch then, and keep your elven ears attent. The probability of stumbling on something unfriendly on the way is low, yet it still exists."

"Sir Matthew, if you would be so kind as help me to carry Darin," I say after everyone said their goodbyes, carefully picking the dwarf up.

((I believe no test is required since two people will share the burden.

If the chest they found isn't too heavy or big Mauve will use it to transport Darin's share. Yes, Cadell, I'm looking at you. =P
    I don't know if Nissa gave the ring to Mauve when she asked, I hope so. Aaand unless someone else joins them, here they go.))

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I look down at Mauve, unsure of whether to be amused or annoyed. "It doesn't hurt. Keit healed the wound, but unfortunately neglected to pull the arrow out first. It will only cause me pain if I try to pull it out. Once Darin is laid to rest, we can cut it out and I can have a berry or simply stitch myself up. That is why I learned to sew in the first place."

Matthew

"Of course." Finally, something useful I can do. I shoulder part of the heavy burden that is our fallen friend, keeping my eyes forward as we make our way toward the dwarves' holy ground.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  12. Steerpike

The party takes care of final business in the tunnels as best it can, aware of the passage of time as companions rest and recover, and one is laid to his final rest. That Srilkind is in danger is clear. Too, the demon has disappeared into Rhuddin, and what mischief it may cause there none can guess.

Branwen eats any lizard meat offered to her, discarding the too well-cooked outer layers of flesh for what lies beneath. The notion of placing food in a fire appears to confuse the child, and she grows impatient when the cooking takes place, eyeing the chunks of flesh with a serious expression and watching the party members to see if anyone is going to take the food out of the fire before it is ruined. Still, she doesn't seem to complain, saying little in her strange tongue and occasionally humming one of her songs. She eats a lot, at least for a human child of her apparent age.

The crypts in which the dwarven bones were found remain undisturbed. A grown dwarf of Darin's size can be easily laid-out in one of them while still in armor, the space above the body providing enough room to fold his hands atop his chest and inter his war hammer with him.

Berries are passed around, and the arrow in Cadell's leg tended to. The offending missile is plucked painfully from the wound, but there is not as much bleeding as one might expect (perhaps an effect of the magical healing) and the injury does not hamper him.

Baldhart-Nissa makes thick-limbed motions when she moves, and she slows her speech, as though her tongue is heavy in her mouth. "I'm losing control," she laments. "I'm not sure how much longer I can stay in here." She looks up toward the ceiling of the cavern. "Wherever you are, Baldy, I need you to get back here."

The underground halls and caverns are silent as the party gathers itself again, preparing for its next move. Branwen falls asleep on the stone floor near Aliron, drawing her legs up into her tunic for warmth and pressing her small back against Aliron's legs as he sits. Feathers poke from the top of her tunic, which does not do much to conceal the shape of her wings beneath.

((Keep posting in this thread for anything you want to do down in the caverns. Anyone going through the gate to warn about the demon should keep posting here as well. I'm going to start an Act III thread that will begin at the point where the party decides to leave the caverns, whether for Srilkind or elsewhere.

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I stand still for a while, gazing down at Darin's tomb, with my hand resting on the stone. It seems so long ago that we first broke bread together, and he promised me a new hand. Can that vow be fulfilled now that he is dead? I reach up to touch the pendant around my neck; it seems to hang heavier somehow. Will his people accept me with only this medallion as proof that I am a friend?

I sigh and lower my hand to my side. I shouldn't think of myself. After a few more silent moments, I speak the few short lines I composed while walking here. I had no time to come up with a tune; I hope the words themselves will suffice.

"Lament, O stones, a brother's fall:
    Darin the bold, who would not flee,
    But faced the foe and gave his all
    To cleanse the filth and taint from thee.

Here now shall rest his flesh and bone,
    Who came from earth, to earth returned,
    Till flesh and bone be dust and stone,
    And ashes lie where life once burned."

Ankari, Steerpike and Nihal like this.
  14. Nihal

Nihal Vala

((Woooo, Act III! Wrapping up prettily there...))

My arms are throbbing by the time we reach the tombs. We place Darin carefully inside one and I fold his arms over his chest, as it seems appropriate. I step back, allowing the others to place his possessions and say their farewells. Cadell sings and I watch in silence, realizing I am saddened by the dwarf's demise. Among everyone Darin was one of the people who best treated me from the start; he not only fought by our side but helped me to obtain something of immeasurable value: Knowledge.

I am the last one to place a gift, the shaman's spellbook which Darin so kindly helped me to translate. The enchantments I've learnt form it already saved my life in these tunnels. I stand there for a while, memorizing his face.

It's not over yet, my friend.

((If the chest was small/light enough it would be a nice place to store the gifts safely))

On our trip back, before we leave the cave with the lake I ask the others to wait some minutes and look to the other side if they see it fitting. I turn my back at them and kneel by the lake, taking off my ruined vest and washing the blood from my torso, slipping then in a new change of clothes. We don't need superstitious villagers wondering how I am alive and in perfect health with a huge gash in my vest and covered in dried blood, to not speak about the sudden gusts of cold air and how I have to constantly take care to not expose myself. Being a woman and wearing trousers is going to bother those stupid peasants already.

Upon our return to the Gate I take some bites of salted beef and throw myself over my backpack, barely glancing at the others. "Wake me up in two hours."

15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I sigh as we reach the room with the Gaita again. Líadan is curled on the grass, sleeping soundly after having so much of her energy drained by the fight. I sit down on the grass at her side, careful not to disturb her rest.

I lie back and fold my arms under my head, looking up at the boughs entwining high above us. My thoughts drift back toward Caer Celynnen and my exile; I push the memories away once again. I shouldn't think of myself when there are others in so much pain, not just of body but of heart as well. Darin will be missed by many of us.

Again my mind torments me. I shouldn't think of myself. But I have to... I have to think through this, face it and deal with it, as I never got the chance to do before our last fight. I wish Baldhart were back. Maybe I should speak now, get this out in the open. If Baldhart returns, surely she will understand my need. But my lover still sleeps, and she deserves to know the full truth as well. How much did she find out before following me into exile?

I turn onto my side, a soft groan escaping me before I can stifle it. This is too much to cope with in so short a time.

16. Steerpike

Nissa knows that Baldhart can't be there to honor Darin, but she believes having Baldy's body there is the next closest thing, and that it is what Baldhart would want. She follows behind, leaving some distance between herself and Darin's friends.

Listening to Cadell speak, her eyes glisten. "That was beautiful, Cadell," she says. "I believe Darin heard it, wherever he is now. With the All-Father he talked about, I suppose. I know from experience that we can still see what happens in the mortal world after we pass."

Baldhart-Nissa inclines her head respectfully when Mauve steps forward to place her gift beside the dwarf's body. When everyone has honored Darin in their way, she lumber stiffly back to the Gate room to rest.

Ireth likes this.
  17. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"I meant no offense, but I was speaking of the winged elf chick, not an elven woman." Pointing to Branwen. "Baldhart might have accepted you, but she had a bond with this girl."

I check to make sure my wound is clean and relax, pulling my sword to ensure it is clean and has a good edge.

18. Nihal

Nihal Vala

After two hours of sleep I roll to the side, unhappy and drowsy. It takes a couple of minutes to muster enough energy to get up and set to work. I take a good look around, carefully verifying if anyone is awake and searching for the ranger. After done I retrieve the loose sheets of paper inside Calexa's book and my own spellbook and writing material, getting ready for a long session of reading and study.

((Something might happen there, it depends on a number of factors, if everyone seems to be sleeping and other stuff. To be continued–or interrupted by a awake character hah.))

19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

While the others rest on the ground below, I perch in one of the trees, my back against the trunk and my legs dangling below. As the silence grows, emotions break over me in ceaseless waves, one after the other. Who am I now, without a home or title? What will Ankari call me from now on, if not just my name? 'Ex-knight', perhaps? I hate the sound of that. I cannot be defined by what I am no longer.

My gaze strays to the Gaita, and I cringe and turn away. I could scarcely be further from my old home, and yet it is only a few feet away. I could sneak back through, maybe, just to say goodbye to my friends in Dunhold one last time... but surely Her Majesty would look for me there, if she thought me foolish enough to stay in Aelwyd Eirian. No, they cannot know I am exiled. Better to leave them with memories of me at the height of prestige than in the depths of disgrace.

I sit and wait, watching those below, wondering what will happen when we all are rested. Will Baldhart ever return to her body? What shall we do with Branwen? After Srilkind, will we go on to the Drimmen-delve at last? The last two, at least, are questions to be answered by us all. I just hope we can reach a consensus.

20. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart

Nissa… I'm back. I'm really back!

Yeah. About time. It wasn't easy lugging this big body around.

Tell me about it. So did my hostage attempt even serve as a distraction?

No. You had the sword in place though. I just had to finish the attack you had in your head. Then I went after the snake.

So we won, but… at what cost?

I look around at the others. So much to say. So much to ask. But all I can manage is…

"I'm back."

Ireth likes this.