1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act II

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

Baldhart's whisper carries up to my ears in the stillness, and I instantly perk up, smiling in relief. I climb quickly down from the tree and make my way to her, laying my hand on her shoulder.

"Welcome back, fy ffrind. We were all worried about you. There's so much you need to know..." How much should I tell her now? I don't want to overwhelm her; I have had enough of that myself.

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

"I… I worried about you as well. I thought I could grab Tommen and create a distraction when I felt my heart… well, I guess it didn't work. Tommen was just a handsome slave to her. At least I didn't slump over and embolden the enemy, thanks to Nissa. But…"

Nissa tells me about Darin.

"…this victory came with a price."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I nod solemnly. "I know he would have wanted you to be there in person, not just your body. But we had to act quickly, and for a while we weren't sure if you would return at all. But you did, and that is one great relief."

I pause and look around again, seeing Liadan beginning to stir. "And now that you're back... I think now would be an ideal time to tell everyone what happened when I went through the Gaita."

4. Legendary Sidekick

((Oh! Buried already. Read the 20 pages too fast! Fixing here…))

"Well… if it's any consolation to you, Darin confided to me his experience with the afterlife. He crossed over when the harpy slit his throat. He said he was happy there, and didn't wish to return.

"I'm sure he's back in the halls of the All-Father now continuing to experience that joy."

I wonder how much that really helped.

"Knowing that won't make me miss him any less. Or mourn him any less."

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

A rustling sound catches my attention, prompting me to freeze on my tracks. I keep silent, watching from the shadows of some trees and relaxing when I see it's some of us.

Here goes the perfect opportunity. Aw, I don't think a new one will come along in the next weeks, the next time he'll have destroyed the rest or will give to a demon or something...

I resist the urge to sigh, concentrating in hearing the voices. Wait, is that Baldhart being Baldhart?

Stepping out of the shadows I walk towards them, closing my hand in a fist and punching Baldhart's arm. "Where were you, a spiritual tour? Damned gods, Baldhart, you worried us!" I keep my voice hushed, "You could have died too, you know?"

6. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"Welcome back." I wave without waking Branwen,"The price for the victory could have been so much worse, and still can be. The ranger made a deal with a devil and the devil has used the gate in its quest for evil."
    Finally, I pull myself to my feet. "Time to work out the stiffness from the injuries."

I pull my long sword(and one of Calexa's swords if no one claimed it.) and begin to work out with two weapons.
    "Double weapons doing double the damage on unsuspecting enemies will end the combat so much faster." I smile weakly at Baldhart.

(We have 712dwarf gold to seperate-71(leaving 2) Dgp if the split is 10, 79(1 extra) if 9.)
    [Are the swords of Calexa magical?]

7. Legendary Sidekick

I rub my arm, not that she hit hard. "Good to feel your punch again, Mauve. If I took a tour, I don't remember any of it. I thought Nissa would guide me and I'd get my wings, but instead she kept my body moving." I scratch a nineteenth hatch mark on the right side of my skull helm. "Nissa says Tommen counts as mine, but I was out of body when I put him in a headlock. I remember seeing you all from above. Darin was still… damn. I had a feeling this battle would claim at least one of us."

I hear Alin. "Good to be back, Alin!" I want to hug Branwen, but I let her sleep. Besides, with Nissa controlling my body, she never knew I was gone, I'm sure.

"Wha…?" Deal with the devil? Nissa?

I was so disoriented after I fell in battle, Baldy. I don't know how I managed to swing your sword accurately. But once that battle was over, my speech was slurred and I walked like I was submerged in mud. This deal…

"What deal?"

8. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"You're welcome. The deal? Hah, ask Ankari–wait Aliron, I have yet to check those things! Frankly, you ought to be resting! Everyone should sleep now." I turn to Baldhart before hurrying towards the thief, "A moment, please."

Grabbing Calexa's swords and other items–bow included if they left it in the pile–I carry them to a quieter corner of the cave and spread them on the ground in an orderly manner. "I need some minutes to do this. Keep chatting or something."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, retreating to the depths of my own mind, the cold air filling my lungs and helping me to concentrate. My hands move as if on its own and I whisper the enchantment.

[​IMG]

My heart skip a beat when the enchantment goes wary, cracking and uncontrolled. I clench my teeth, taking a firm grasp of the energy.

[​IMG]

"Stupid magic," I mutter and start again the enchantment, feeling a bit angry. Get more corrupted with such a lowly spell would be humiliating! Luckily, this time the enchantment goes smoother.

[​IMG]

((The items she'll verify are the robes, the earrings, ceremonial dagger, flail, bottle, bow, swords. Again she'll take all the time needed to focus on one item each time and study them.))

9. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

I smile at Baldart, relieved that she is finally back in her own body. Maybe her goddess had been kind to her to let her back in her own body, and it makes me swallow, wondering what will happen to me if i die. I had heard of many gods and goddesses, but i do not know of any that i would want to follow.

Batos whines and rests his head on my lap, sensing my unease. Oh well, i can ask Baldart and the others about it later.

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I look at Baldhart, questions rising in my mind. I lower my voice to a murmur, wanting only Baldhart (and, I suppose, Nissa) to hear.

"If I may ask... where did you go? Did you see Brynhild?"

11. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I nod, satisfied. "Aliron... and ranger. I feel magic in these swords. The bow, as we knew, is enchanted, so is the flail and the bottle." I eye the bottle with curiosity, wondering how could I test it. Shaking my head, I pick up some sheets of paper and look for Líadan.

"Are you awake? One of those enchantments might interest you. I know no details about them, I have yet to study and try out, but one named as 'Favor of the Goddess' is clearly of clerical nature. Those around the caster get unwilling to attack her–unless they can resist it, of course.

"Another spell best suited to clerics is a healing one, although I believe it is no better than the ones you know. Then there are the other spells, of hybrid nature. The 'Call of Death': It has not only clerical elements but also wizardly. Once a target is unconscious this spell can kill them instantly." I grin. "Some of the life force of the unlucky creature is drained to the caster. One can always resist, because the world is not a sweet place, however, it seems unlikely. This is the spell I do intent to study now, for I will not dare to play regularly with the last one."

I shuffle through the papers. "Morcant's Grand Immolation. I have reasons to believe this was the one responsible for Calexa's ruin and for what happened after she failed it I shall avoid using this one until I get stronger or I find myself in an inevitable dead end. It is a complex spell, which consumes the target in flames, also with hybrid elements, being best suited to mages however."

Looking over my shoulder, I look for another elf. "Where is the wolf girl? She should study some of these too, and deal with the berries."

12. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"After the battle, I feel I should try to learn the elven magic of first aid. It might save a life if I can do it. I don't think it will heal them, but it might keep them from dying until a real healer can save them." I say as I slowly move through the patterns to get use to two weapons.
    "If I lose control in the magic, could I harm the injured? or would it just harm me or just be a waste of time(mana)? Do not expect much of me though, I am quick and nimble afoot, but my brain is as thick as hardened leather." (though Int. is 2nd prime)

"The new blade feels more comfortable then my old one. Might be the magic, I'm feeling."
    "If someone needs a better blade, I will give up this new blade to them, I will find an old long sword somewhere to double dissect the backs of our enemies. The more blades hitting in front will keep them from turning on me."

[if I keep it, it should be noted that Calexa's curved longsword will be the primary weapon, and the longsword will be the secondary if used.)

13. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

I weigh the blade in my hand, suppressing the weakness encouraging me to keep and use it. Baldhart his back. It's good to see her.

"Baldhart, when I picked up these swords, my intention were for you to have first claim to one. I have given one to Aliron. Does it interest you?"

14. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

The others' voices rouse me from sleep, and I sit up, running a hand over my face. Baldhart seems to be herself again, which is a great relief. Mauve approaches me with talk of spells, and I look to her in interest.

"The second one does sound as if it would be of use, though I must wonder which goddess it would call the favor of." I smile faintly. "And one can never know too many healing spells, in my opinion. They have different strengths and weaknesses for different situations, after all."

15. Nihal

Nihal Vala

"If you wish to learn any minor spell from me–which would be less likely to fail–you just need to ask." I hand over the two sheets of paper. "I know I do not need to say this, but I will: Be careful with those, I did not study nor copy them to my spellbook yet."

Getting on my feet I answer Aliron, "I told you already, those swords are enchanted with no margin to doubt. I do not think a failed healing spell would hurt anyone, however, it is just an assumption based on observation, not a certainty. Healing spells are never a waste of time."

I walk to my sleeping place, sitting again in the middle of my belongings and picking a sheet of paper to start my studies.

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Líadan

I nod, holding the papers carefully as I look them over. I wonder if Cadell brought any parchment and ink of his own; I may have to borrow some so I can copy the spells out for myself. The less chance we have of losing these spells forever, the better off we will be in the long run.

((Waiting for Baldy to respond to Cadell; then hopefully I'll be able to have Cadell tell his tragic story to everyone. :)))

17. Legendary Sidekick

Ankari offers me the first pick of Calexa's blades. "Thank you. If you happen to know which sword has my blood on it, that's the one I'd like to keep. I suppose she hit me with her right arm. If you can't tell them apart, no worries. It's just that the only weapons I've kept so far were those that hit me. Frankly, I prefer a two-handed sword to anything else, so if there's a magical greatsword out there… let's just say I don't mind having weapons that didn't hit me."

I ask, "Mauve, what kind of magic do these swords possess? Are they identical? If I'm better off with my two-hander, this magic weapon is wasted on me. If the magic makes the sword hit harder, I will carry the shield of Darin's father.

"Oh… and speaking of carrying stuff, let's not forget the hides of the six-legger. I need new armor. Darin, rest his soul, warned me that the puncture he fixed wouldn't last. I'd like to take my share of the treasure to Arn, the tailor, as soon as we get to Srilkind."

To Cadell, I say, "Oh. You asked where I went. I went… up…" Damn. "I don't remember. I believe any Valkyrie watching over us knows Nissa is to guide me, so I doubt I was brought before Brynhild. I wish I could tell you more, Sir Cadell. Maybe it'll come back to me, or maybe the memory is lost."

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I nod slowly, keeping my face blank when Baldhart calls me Sir. "Well, perhaps it is better that the memory is lost." If she did not go to her goddess, then perhaps it was a darker place not worth remembering.

I look around at the others and clear my throat. "If I could have everyone's attention for a few moments, there is something you all deserve to know. It is time I told you what happened in Aelwyd Eirian."

Líadan looks up at me, speaking softly. "Don't feel you need to speak of it if you aren't ready."

I shake my head. "Who knows when we will have the chance to rest peacefully again? This is as opportune a time as any."

When I have everyone's eyes and ears on me, I launch into my story.

"I reached Caer Celynnen without incident, and the first person I found was Líadan. We spoke for a while of all that had happened since I went north, both there and here. Líadan said that the Queen had been in a strange humor since my leaving, which I found odd, as she was the one who sent me here in the first place. I went to speak with Her Majesty as well, and passed along the warning of a possible lizard threat. She asked about Darin's medallion, and grew angry when I answered that I had been named Dwarf-friend. I asked whether she was pleased by my fair representation of her in the north, saying that it brought honor to both her and the dwarves; she said she cared nothing for the dwarves' honor, and scorned my friendship with them. She accused me then of moving on to making truces with goblins or orcs—it was a good thing I did not tell her of Branwen! In any case, she dismissed me from her throne room, with the command not to return to the north."

My voice grows increasingly hard, angry and bitter as I continue. "Only moments after I had left, an elf named Fachtna arrived. He gloried in my shame, and scorned my desire for peace between races that had begun with the mortals of Dunhold, a small human settlement on the borders of that wood. He called me selfish for wanting to change our people's age-old ways, and I said that we must adapt in order to survive in a changing world. He called me a blight on our heritage, a sick branch to be pruned from a tree. Then he attacked.

"I was unarmed – I had left my sword with Líadan, not wanting to bear a weapon before my Queen. I dodged his blows, erratic as they were, until his sword stuck in the throne room door. Then he took me by the throat, and tried to strangle me. I acted on instinct, and struck him in the chest with my left hand, or rather the gauntlet. But I misjudged the blow, and broke his ribs. They pierced his heart or lungs, I know not which.

"The Queen came out at the sound of battle and saw us there. She had Fachtna sent to the infirmary, and accused me of trying to murder him. I tried to speak in my own defense, but she would hear none of it. She stripped me of my knighthood, and told me to leave the castle or die. I ran back to the Gaita, and heard someone following me, but I did not dare stop to find out. And so I returned."

Líadan

Cadell falls silent, and I speak in turn. "Cadell never came back to the infirmary, and Fachtna never arrived; he had died on the way. I heard of those events through rumors, many and varied. Many said that Fachtna was an innocent bystander whom Cadell had struck down in a fit of pique, seeking to kill him intentionally. I knew it could not be true. Fachtna was an ass, plain and simple; he could never be an innocent. And Cadell is simply not the type of person to kill an innocent in sheer anger. None of the versions made much sense, but the one detail they all shared was that Cadell had been cast out, with no time to gather any supplies. That was the only thing that mattered to me. They may as well have executed him themselves; I was not about to let that happen. I could not be sure whether he would go back to the Gaita or not, so I packed what things I could and followed him. No one cared enough to come after me, thank Oercus."

Cadell

I grind my teeth when Líadan speaks of what rumors my people wove around me. Lies and slander, all of it. But let them talk; I know the truth.

I take a breath and look to the others. "And that is that. I suggest you get out of the habit of calling me 'Sir', if you were ever inclined to do so in the first place. And Ankari, whatever you choose to call me from now on, I would appreciate if 'ex-knight' is not among your options."

I lapse into silence again, having no more to say. Talking about what happened hasn't helped so far, but perhaps when the others each speak their piece... who can say?

One thing is certain. I have never felt more lost.

19. Legendary Sidekick

"But, Cadell… you ARE a knight. You always will be." A thought hits me. "Who gets to decide you're a knight, if not you? Does it have to be a king or queen? Could it be the heir to the throne, you know, if the king or queen is… not present or whatever?"

20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I smile sadly and shrug. "Queen Brígh has neither a husband nor an heir; she rules alone. I have often wondered why, but her choices are her own."