1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act II

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

"No, no… I mean, can an heir to the throne dub a guy a knight? I mean, generally. Like, any heir to any throne dubbing any guy?"

2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

"I have never heard of such being the case; it seems solely the duty of a monarch. I suppose, perhaps in the case of a regent, an exception might be made... Why do you ask?" I have my guesses, but I want a definite answer. On the other hand, I am not even certain I want to be a knight anymore, when all this is over. I've seen so much war and bloodshed, I don't want to be part of it unless I have no other choice.

"The thing about being a knight is, to my knowledge and experience, it involves an oath of fealty to a certain king and kingdom, until the knight either dies or is released from his oath by that king. Or queen, I suppose. It is not a thing to be taken lightly by either the knight or the ruler."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. Legendary Sidekick

Ruler. Will I live to become that, Nissa? You kept my heart going once, so I suppose you can do it again… or maybe I can find another way to die young like Darin did.

"I don't take it lightly. Nissa saved me when my heart failed, which means I'm more likely to die young from battle… or the mountain is mine if I survive this. My uncle is the chieftain of the Eisenberg clan. Eisenberg means Iron Mountain, so… he runs the place. It's no kingdom, he's no king, and the word 'princess' hardly could apply to the likes of me. But since my aunt died, uncle Wolfgang's carried a torch for her. Didn't stop him from knocking up girls my age and fathering my bastard cousins—I love 'em, don't get me wrong. but… uncle said himself the Eisenberg line ends with me.

"We don't have knights. You'd be the first, but it's real, not just to make you feel good. I mean, I think you need to keep being a knight for yourself. But the only oath I'd ask of you is to keep peace between races, which you'd be good at as an elf and dwarf friend. You're already good at it. I foresee a mass migration from the north, so the Iron Mountain could benefit from an elven representative. And you and Liadan need a place to call home."

He seems resistant.

"Talk to Liadan. Sleep on it. For more than one night if you must. I'm tired and full of holes, so I'll think on it as I rest. But I'm serious. If you want to be the First Knight of the Iron Mountain, we can discuss what it would mean, and I'll let you see the letter to my uncle before any dubbing would happen, so you can tell me 'forget it' with no hard feelings as long as the letter's not sent."

I start to get comfortable, but feel the need to add,

"Oh. Queen Brígh rules alone 'cause she's a stone cold bitch who just threw away the greatest knight in her kingdom. There must be other sensible men in her land, since none have wed her.

"Good night, good knight."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell

I am silent as Baldhart speaks, my eyes wide. I can't decide how to feel about this -- surprised, honored, doubtful, joyful, they all seem like viable options. But her urging to think about this reassures me, and I nod. It seems this will indeed take more than one night to consider all the benefits and downfalls. All I can think to say for the moment is a barely audible "Thank you."

At her parting words, I manage a small smile. "Good night, good lady. Rest well."

Líadan

I too am silent as Baldhart speaks, moving only to slide my hand into Cadell's. Many conflicting emotions cross his face, and I wonder what I can say to help him.

We retire together to rest, sitting side by side under a sprawling alder to the left of the Gaita. I lean my head on his shoulder, still not feeling fully rested. My own thoughts are confusing, too. Maybe being a knight again is not the best path for him -- he can find fulfillment in other ways, can he not? He was perfectly happy before becoming a knight, after all. Why not return to something he knows, or try something entirely new?

Cadell

I pull Líadan close, but do not speak, simply closing my eyes and basking in her presence. Talk can come later; for now I just want peace and rest. Even passion cannot overcome my weariness right now. That can wait until we are in Srilkind, and can afford a room to ourselves.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I continue to practice with the swords until I tire, then I will seek a mage to begin learning "first aid".

6. Nihal

Nihal Vala

((EDITED with some detect magic results :D.
    @Aliron- I think Mauve is the only one available now.))

I look over the paper sheet. "It's faint, but I believe those swords have some magic to make it a bit easier to hit the target. The same can be said of the flail."

"Oh, do not even talk about clothes, this is my last set. I still have a some trousers to spare, but if this tunic gets ruined I am afraid I shall be forced to parade around quite naked. My jokes turned out to be accurate predictions." I giggle.

--

Cadell's tale is a nice example to illustrate how people are mad even without being corrupted. I listen to it in silence, happy when Baldhart speaks up sparing me from awkward attempts to cheer him up. Doesn't he realize this whole "title arbitrarily given by a random authority" is stupid? I know the reason I call him "knight" isn't because someone I don't know said he was one.

They quiet down and not much time later Aliron looks for someone to teach him a spell. I call him, keeping my voice low. "I do not know 'First Aid' properly, however..." I turn the pages on my spellbook. "There is this one, Metra's First Re–drat! No, not this one." I tilt my head to one side. "Perhaps...

"Aliron, would you allow me to attempt an unknow enchantment on you?" I smirk. "It is one I have learnt from the lizard shaman's book. I have no idea if it heals, bind wounds, if it affects the caster or what. Oh, and the spell I was looking for is 'Edan's Minor Thaumaturgic Poultice', here." I turn to the right page and hand the book over to him.

"Sit by me, the light is sufficient and the silence is good here. Read it and if you have any doubts just ask."

((If Aliron allows her to try the spell, here is the roll for Metra's First Revitalization: ))

[​IMG]

((Heh, pretty bad. I have no clue if it's arcane magic, then, just in case runaway AND corruption checks. Thanks, dice...))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

((Depending on how much tired she became(mana!) and the nature of the spell she may try again later.))

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  7. Legendary Sidekick

((Assume Baldy had a cat nap if we don't want to fast forward through time…))

Nissa… I'm not wounded? I guess I was just sore from… I don't know, going from not having a body to having one?

Did you sleep well?

I don't remember dreaming. I guess that's restful, but I hoped I'd remember what happened out of body in a dream.

It may be that you just floated around and watched us from above. I couldn't detect your spirit. I don't know if I lack that ability in your body.

Well, I'm alive. That's good enough.

I get up and look to see who's awake. Alin is. Maybe he can operate the gate if Keit's still asleep.

"Any chance this gate can get us some more berries? We can never have too many of those. I'm working out a system where I keep old berries in Hiljiki's pouch, and fresher ones in mine. We'd eat the ones in Hiljikki's pouch first. I think she told me that they're good for 24 hours." I laugh and turn to Keit, who may not actually be awake yet, is she? "Mother told me that many times! I wish I mentioned earlier that my mom's a druid—as is half the population on the Iron Mountain for that matter. Ever since that sea captain confined Rydh to his quarters for healing me, I thought it best to stay silent about magic. I figured people might suspect the daughter of a magic user can also use magic. Oh… I guess I can, can't I?"

8. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"I will allow you to cast it, if it will not seriously harm me. I do not trust the ways of magic, only out of neccesity will I try to learn 'first aid.' "

After Mauve is done, then Baldhart asks me to operate the gate.

"More magic?" I groan. "At least it is an old and trusted gate, not something dangerous to the user." I smile nervously as I try what they did earlier to get the gate to operate. (Don't know if I need to roll anything, being an elf and watching it done.)

[[I will rest, practice the swords, or learn first aid until we move on to our next destination.]]

I posted in III, just as general principle as scout, not pushing people to move before they are ready though.

I think healing fruit harvest is a berry good idea.

9. Legendary Sidekick

I peer into the gate.

"Not Cadell's old neighborhood, uh… right?" I think it's the place I went before when I was playing with—I mean… testing the gate. "Right."

If Keit's awake, I signal her to come with. In any case, I ask Alin, "Please don't close this. I won't venture too far alone. If you have nothing better to do, maybe you and Heartseeker can come along for the walk. I think I'll like that bow much better in your hands than in Tommen's, rest his soul."

Did I just say…?

"Uh… sorry. I don't exactly regret killing him, but… it's my first person. One minute we're joking and the next I'm slashing his throat. I really did respect him. Worthy opponent.

"Anyway, picking berries is a nice break from killing monsters, right?"

I venture into the forest taking my mind off
    the impaled fish demon,
    the one who cut me with the stone knife before I put my sword through its arm and into the torso,
    the fire demon I knocked through a window,
    the one I that burned me as I killed it and slammed its corpse into another,
    the one I left stunned but came back to kill just in time to rescue Rydh,
    the warg who sat on its hind legs after being stunned by my charge before I finished it off,
    the goblin I knocked ten feet into the air,
    the lizard with the frying pan,
    the one I impaled from behind,
    Ankari's prisoner,
    the shaman,
    the lizard who died while arguing with others,
    the one I back-stabbed after emerging from the water,
    the one who hid behind a barrel while the others ran from Fish Mauve,
    the one I charged as Mauve sound-blasted its pals… and me,
    the one that survived Mauve's sound blast,
    the mother harpy,
    the lizard that survived Nissa's fire-bombing only to be cleaved near in half by me,
    and…

Tommen…

Tommen…

Tommen…

10. Nihal

Nihal Vala

My shoulders drop. "Sorry about that. The good news this spell I have just tried uses this elven-like magic. Líadan could learn this one later."

"Do not go too far, Baldhart," I warn her.

((Guys, the gate was left open by the demon. And yeah, ninja'd))

11. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I walk with Baldhart, distressed about the strangeness in his words and actions.
    As always, arrow ready for attack or food to present itself.

"You find your berries, maybe I'll find some fresh meat we can share with Branwen rather then feeding her that disgusting lizard meat."
    "Consider yourself lucky, Baldhart. That you did not hear the scream of Branwen as she was burned, and seeing her body go limp. I don't know what is to become of her, but I never want to hear that sound again." I whisper softly as we hunt.

12. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Just like a demon to leave the door open to whoever wants to wonder in. How inconsiderate.

13. Legendary Sidekick

[Deerstalker] I forage for berries, but also keep my eyes peeled for signs of wildlife. Alin doesn't need the bow's magic to take down a deer or other wild animal.

Tommen's bow…

I don't think I'll tell him my method of killing deer. Suffice to say, I ate better and wasted less berries when Addison Lane and her arrows joined the hunt.

"Branwen was…? The poor child. I'm thankful she was spared, even though…"

Deal with the devil, he said.

"Aliron, Nissa's memory is as cloudy as mine. Our healers are good, but they ain't that good. How is it that I'm not wounded at all? You mentioned a deal with a devil, and Nissa… she was doing all she could just to keep my body alive."

…Tommen…

"Did you see where the demon came from? I wonder if it's the entity that followed Darin when he came back from the halls of the All-Father. Nissa saw something but didn't know what. We were going to have a rune-caster investigate it in Drimmen-delve, but… it's too late for that now."

…Tommen…

"I've been thinking about what to do with Branwen. If no one objects, my home is a safe place for her. I don't know how we'd get her there, though. We have so much to do, and I don't suppose the gate would put us anywhere near the Iron Mountain. I'll admit I'm ignorant of elven lands by their elven names. I have no idea where in the world we are now."

…Tommen…

…Tommen…

I curse, "–Tommen!"

And to think Cadell called you 'lady.'

"Uh… not that I ever wanted to, handsome as he is, but… he can rot in hell for all I care."

I shut up and let Alin finally get a word in.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Assuming those going through the gate stay close, so as not to arouse the ire of the elves of Rhuddin, they are able to gather 35 berries and Aliron shoots a couple of rabbits. If you wish to do anything else within the gate, let me know and it can play out here)).

Edit: changed number of berries to 35.

15. Legendary Sidekick

((Oh… didn't see this^ post. Well, ignorance worked in our favor since I rolled 35 berries and Steerpike approved it via PM. I guess we can RP it or not bother. Up to you, Severin.))

As I gather berries I notice a hole. "Rabbits are cute," I tell Alin, "but it's been a while since I ate meat with less than six legs."

My eye is good for finding evidence of wildlife, but I trust Alin's eye is far better for finding the animal itself now that he knows we're in the right place…

16. Legendary Sidekick

Testing Calexa's Swords…

Before we head back to feed Branwen, I ask Alin if I can try swinging both scimitars. I try 'em out,swinging one, then both if Alin permits. I'll let him try his hand at dual wielding. It's not easy to swing two swords, nor is it normally as effective as swinging one great sword. As I try a combination, an X-strike, a double-swing that's not quite a whirlwind—a technique still too advanced for me, I admit—I ask myself…

…are these little swords really any better than the one big I've been using all this time?

17. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"Baldhart? Are you alright? You were speaking of Branwen, Iron mountain, the Gate, then just say that name?"
    "Did Heartseeker deliver a cupids arrow? Is there some charm applied to the arrows I might need to know about?
    I don't want an army of loving lizards following me around."

"Branwen needs to be away from the danger, with people that can teach her to be more humane then her heritage. But we don't have alot of time to act outside our mission."

"Calexa's sword feels comparable to my old longsword, it must feel totally different from the giant sword you swing."

18. Legendary Sidekick

((It was a bit unclear, admittedly, but she said '@#$% Tommen.'))

"Have you ever killed a person before? Maybe it's because we lost Darin, or maybe it's because I was out-of-body when my sword finished him. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel.

"I kept picturing him, but honestly, I'm fine now. Truth be told, the moment you told me that Branwen was hurt, Tommen's death stopped bothering me." I take off my helm an point to the 19th hatch mark. "He's just the nineteenth monster killed by my giant sword. I think it will kill my twentieth as well. This scimitar is beautiful, but it's wasted on me."

I step a safe distance from Alin and swing my two-hander with only one hand, as if a target stands before me.
    [​IMG]
    ((Oops! Ignore the +4. It's 17.))

It cuts through the air in near-silence. Surely, Alin can see I have control over the blade.

"Even if I take Darin's shield, I would still prefer this blade."

((More to add if dual wield isn't penalized due to the swords' magic. I doubt that's the case, so I'm running with the assumption that Cadell will get Baldy's scimitar.))

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  19. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"You cleave the path with that giant sword, I'll slice them into a proper serving size with my smaller blades."

"Then again, with Heartseeker, I might never have to stain my blades again."

"Have I ever killed a person? Its almost always up close and personal for a rogue, no ten foot sword between me and the corpse. The way Nissa took his life is my fighting style. Either you kill them to live or they kill you. If you don't get the coin for the next meal, you're dead anyway."

[["Get busy living or get busy dyin"]]

20. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Swords have bonuses to hit, not to damage. Same goes for the flail, for that matter. I suppose in a forum setting it is easiest if the players know the bonuses and can add them into their rolls and react accordingly, so even though your characters only know that the weapons make it slightly easier to hit, I'll tell you that they are all +1 weapons (to hit). The dual-wielding penalties still apply, though if you're using +1 weapons the penalties will be offset by 1)).