1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Dragon's Egg - Act II

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 11, 2013.

  1. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    I do not get the chance to answer Baldhart before the flash of light distracts me. I look over at Aliron when he speaks of stealth, and shift slightly in unease; the soft clinking of my scale mail seems unnaturally loud. He may be able to move stealthily, but what of those who are both armored and on horses?
     
  2. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,883
    413
    I step up to the front with Aliron.

    "If your silent movement is limited then let's not bother with stealth. Caution, yes. We don't know if we'll meet a friend or foe. As I said before, if we meet someone capable of speech, words before weapons.

    "I'll keep my weapon in hand, just the same. If I carry it low, I can trust or swing with a rising strike—but I don't appear battle-ready.

    "If everyone is comfortable pressing forward, let's go in."

    I turn to Burnbright.

    "If Aliron says it's a person, it's not a monster."



    People are more capable of evil than most monsters, Baldy.


    Yes. But if Aliron is correct that we have spotted the tracks of one, surely it isn't the person responsible for the monsters we had seen earlier.

    What makes you think that?

    That would be too easy. Even if our enemy is a powerful wizard, he is a coward who hides behind an army. We won't have the fortune to catch him alone. What are the odds of that?

    Once, I witnessed a band of adventurers who caught their enemy alone, relieving himself behind a tree. They cut him down before he could stutter out an incant, he was so flustered. Once every six or seven hundred years, a huge battle is averted by strange luck.


    Oh.
     
  3. Ravana

    Ravana Istar

    2,012
    291
    83
    This may not be good. I did not expect others to be here. What is their purpose? Are they drawn by the foulness of this blight upon the earth?

    Or are they here to cleanse it? Hrafnfreistuðr, guide me.

    They act with caution. Have they already discovered some threat which opposes them? I did not expect foes to be lurking just inside the doorway; there is no indication that such dwell within, or there would have been signs of them ranging about the land around their lair.

    Maybe they're just paranoid.

    They have a… child with them? This makes less and less sense.

    Though I should not jump to conclusions. She may be no more "child" than I am.

    Ah: a campfire. Not theirs. So there is yet another here–or others–in advance of them. Not someone they expected. That, at least, explains their caution. Leaving all the other questions unanswered.

    There is only one way to discover the answers, I suppose.…


    Bow ready, but lowered, Hiljikki waits at the entrance to the courtyard to see what happens next. She does not draw attention to herself; neither does she crouch in concealment–she does not want to seem to be a foe preparing to shoot them in their backs.

    If they are truly as cautious as they seem, they will notice me soon enough. And I am accustomed to waiting.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  4. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,107
    3,467
    413
    ((Sounds good, Ravana :) Just to impose some order on things, here's how I see the scene now: Mauve was at the temple, checking out the courtyard area. Neither the party nor Hiljikki saw her there. Hiljikki was approaching the temple, probably from the north, otherwise the party would have seen someone coming. As the party approached the structure, Mauve moved into the temple proper and hid herself on the other side of a door. She's now moved down to whatever is below the temple. Hiljikki saw the party first, waited for the party to move up to the courtyard, and has now come around the northwest corner of the outer wall of the courtyard and is just behind the party, watching them as they cautiously move forward. Does that work for everyone?))
     
    Sparkie likes this.
  5. Ireth

    Ireth Myth Weaver

    11,094
    1,468
    313
    ((Works for me, O Feline Overlord. XDDD))

    Llucheden is restless, tossing her head and snorting. I do my best to soothe her, but it is difficult when I am no more at ease than she. The back of my neck prickles; I have the distinct feeling that we are being watched. I look around and listen hard, turning in the saddle to see behind me.

    Someone is there, in the entrance to the courtyard. A woman, armed, but not seeming primed for a fight. Will she flee us if we approach her, or attack? I turn back around and murmur to those nearest me, "We are not alone."
     
  6. Ankari

    Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

    2,601
    853
    113
    ((Yep))

    We slink along the frozen land like sap from a maple tree in winter. If thunder didn't roll through my head, I would find it amusing that Alin attempted stealth when he has two knights encased in jangling armor ride atop horses. No matter, what's done is done.

    I allow the others to shuffle past as they play at the games they've imagined themselves in until I come alongside Burnbright. She rubs at her arms as if attempting to dislodge the frozen teeth of the cold. From anyone else, it would make sense, but she is a child of the north. Our two definitions of cold vary greatly.

    "Speak to me of what troubles you. Remember, what passes between us can only be truth."
     
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    ((Yup. Mauve is moving on wary feet again, whenever I need to roll DEX to avoid some obstacle just tell me. For now she's playing blind.))


    The cold and the darkness seems to finally clear my mind. I don't know for how long I've been walking now I've picked up a steady pace, probably a few minutes only. I'm focused on the task at hand, if I survive today I'm going to have enough time to reflect on my mistakes. Not now.

    The dim light behind me has not changed. They may have missed the spell. It's snowing and I don't know how much time they would take to reach the temple.

    Nay, I should assume the worst. They could be able to open the door silently and do not change the light if they blocked it from start. Or... are they afraid? My spell is of a pure white, nothing like a torchlight.

    I stop and listen for some seconds. Nothing yet. I resume my descent.

    They must be moving with caution now, knowing neither how they outnumber me nor the extent of my power.

    I keep testing the ground ahead with my spear, my other hand never leaving the wall.

    Yet, I could use this fear to my advantage. Yes. All I need to do is to keep cool and play along with their reactions.

    A tiny smile appears on my face. I feel in control again. I've played this game before.
     
  8. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,883
    413
    "What's that, Cadell?" Oh, for crying out loud!

    I study the little blonde woman. Not much bigger than Burnbright.

    I step a few paces toward her. She keeps her bow low, as I am doing with my sword. I keep my weapon lowered.

    "I am Baldhart Eisenberg of the Iron Mountain. My sword is used for crushing demons, not a person. Are you alone? You have no reason to fear coming forward to talk. If any of us were murderers, arrows would have been in flight by now."
     
  9. Ravana

    Ravana Istar

    2,012
    291
    83
    She doesn't appear to be afraid, no. Though in fact you aren't even sure she's a "she," until she speaks. Which removes all doubt: a child's voice would be higher. You weren't expecting a contralto from this bundled pixie.

    "If I thought you murderers, I would not have revealed myself. Your seeming was… otherwise. Though your reassurances are welcome."

    'Of' the Iron Mountain? Looks like you are the iron mountain. Well, I'm committed now, in any event.

    She returns the arrow to her quiver, the bow to a case beneath her cloak. As she does so, you catch a glimpse of a narrow, silver-furred face with black markings on its cheeks, curiosity-filled eyes, and ears that look twice as large as they ought to be. You haven't the first idea what the creature is: perhaps some kind of weasel? It doesn't look afraid, either, for all that it doesn't reveal any more of itself at the moment.

    "I am Hiljikki. I am far from home… and am uncertain what passes here. I could not ignore the—aura?—of this place, however… little though it seemed likely I could do aught to cleanse it. It is an abomination. It is… worse… back that way." She gestures toward the unnatural mist. "I skirted it during my approach, and would be well pleased never to do so again."

    She surveys the party. "There are six of you, yes?" ((That's Ravana being unsure of the count. She can count that high just fine.)) "Did you determine how many others came before you? And do you intend to follow them?"

    Speaking of eyes… there's something about hers. Maybe it's just that you can't decide whether they're blue or green. And something about her voice, too. And composure. You get the feeling this is the sort of person others might follow into hell, except that you wouldn't expect her to know the way, nor go there if she did.

    "If you do intend to continue, I would be pleased to accompany you. However little I may be able to contribute. Let me call my mount, so that it may wait here with yours."

    She pulls a small reed flute from a pouch, trills a couple notes, and a moment later, a.…

    She rides a reindeer?
     
  10. Sparkie

    Sparkie Auror

    1,459
    305
    83
    She has a way with wildlife, that's for certain. Other than that, I can tell little about her.

    "Hullo Hiljikki," I say. "I'm Rydh. You've met Baldhart already, and I'm sure the others will introduce themselves in good time. We've been tracking at least one person to this place, according to Aliron. That's him, over there. And, yes, I think we all would welcome whatever aid you can lend."

    All of us except Ankar- No! No, don't think like that Rydh. Ankari will recognize, as I hope everyone does, that if the animals trust her then so should we. Someone who could earn that kind of trust must have a gentleness within her.
     
  11. Legendary Sidekick

    Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

    9,872
    2,883
    413
    "We are seven.

    "The young one here is Burnbright, and next to her is Ankari. On horsebacks are Sir Cadell and Sir Matthew. The one you missed must be Aliron. And of course, Rydh and I have already introduced ourselves.

    "And yes, feel free to join us and bring your... pets?"


    I'm not the pretty one any more.

    Did that ever matter to you?

    Not really. Another woman would be quite welcome. I was just stating a fact.

    The fact is, I'm the pretty one.


    "Please tell us, Hiljikki, what brings you to this place? Oh! Do you dwell in the forest among the animals? I had to do that as part of my 'Deerstalker' training. I excelled at every part of that training except for the actual stalking of deer. They'd scurry off before I could get within a hundred feet! I only made it within a hundred yards once, maybe twice."
     
  12. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,107
    3,467
    413
    Mauve

    You descend slowly, going perhaps twenty feet or more down the old stairs. They become more slippery as you descend, and the air more damp. Finally, you can feel that the ground in front of you is level, stretching into a room or corridor. It is pitch black and you can't see a thing of what lies ahead. You catch a few fragments of conversation from outside, though you can't make out the words. The people in the courtyard are talking.

    Party

    Burnbright listens to the conversation, saying nothing and looking nervously at the party members, taking her cue from them. Curiosity does get the better of her once she spots the small animal with Hiljikki, and she spends much of the remainder of the conversation either hunching her shoulders, craning her neck, or tilting her head to try to get a better look at the thing.
     
  13. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    Let the honorable deal with the newcomer, I will focus on the unknown, the flash of light.
    Since the party is distracted, I will have bow, arrow ready, focusing mostly on the door.

    there is rarely coincidence, the one behind could be a distraction to the one or many at the door. I move trying to find a point I could keep the door and the newcomer in my field of vision, if a solid wall behind me all the more secure. Trust no one, always watch your back. I keep the arrow low and in general direction where the flash came from, so as not to hender the discussion.

    "Don't forget the unknown flash, this could be a trap." I say trying not for the newcomer to hear, but as many of the party as possible.
     
  14. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,107
    3,467
    413
    ((If Aliron moves into the main temple building, through the front opening, and stays near the statue of the goddess Gefjon, he will be able to see the courtyard, as well as the party and the newcomer, and also see the door in the back of the temple room. Technically, no one in the party knows there is a door inside yet, because no one has been in there)).
     
  15. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    ----"A central doorway leads into the main temple building, and you can see a bit of light from two side doors as well."
    This is where I am focusing my attention.

    [to clarify, do we know if the flash came from the "two side doors" or just from the doorway area in general?]

    Just in general cautiousness, I will scan the tops of the walls of the courtyard, just to be sure nothing is lurking.
     
  16. Steerpike

    Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

    11,107
    3,467
    413
    ((Sorry, I'll make my descriptions more concrete :) The two side doors are open doorways, just like the main door, except they come into the main temple building from the side. The door Mauve went through, which is the only actual 'door' in the room, is in the back of the main temple room on a wall that forms one of the staircases leading up. The flash of light came from within the room itself)).
     
  17. Phietadix

    Phietadix Archmage

    953
    50
    28
    ((What we really need is a map, you can only learn so much from descriptions))
     
  18. SeverinR

    SeverinR Vala

    3,530
    505
    113
    [[Thats kind of what I thought, so thats why I quoted. If there is an encounter we'll need a map, but I think we can survive without it at this point. I will try to quote the section I mean if there is doubt in the future.]]

    I watch the doorways and where the flash came from.
     
  19. Nihal

    Nihal Vala

    3,030
    463
    83
    Voices.

    I swallow any fear I may feel and try to listen to their words, but it's impossible to understand what they're saying, the voices seem to be far from the door. I push forward, finding harder to keep my balance. When I think I may end slipping, suddenly, the steps come to an end.

    I could be wandering straight into a subterranean reservoir and I would only know it after falling in it.

    I crouch and reach for the ground with my bare hand, trying to determine if it's water, moss or something else. With a sigh I realize I can't keep moving ahead in this darkness.

    To wait here is not an option, but I need a light to advance. I clean my hand on my boots. All right Mauve, now you're going to do it right. What are your options?

    I can't lit a fire. I have no torch, neither wood. I must try the spell again. I look over my shoulder, up to the broken door. It's not so close now but not far enough. Even if I succeed they may see the light. But I can't wait, now I have my best chance, while they're still far enough. If they really are.

    If only I could hide the light... A relieved smile comes to my face. Of course I can. I bend my knees and sit, resting my weight over my heels and the spear over my folded legs. Opening the cloak's clasp proves a slightly harder task in the dark, but it's not like I never done this before.

    The cold gives my goosebumps when I pull the cloak over my head. After covering my arms with the heavy cloak and making sure I didn't leave any gaps I hold the pendant again. I take a deep breath, glad that the spell don't require any gestures and say the enchantment again, my voice barely louder than a whisper.

    [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4 #Cast Light spell again

    And again I loose it's control. A shiver runs down my neck while I struggle with the magic, the realization that this time it's worse not helping at all.

    [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5 #Saving throw!

    I clench my teeth in dismay, feeling that I can't hold it anymore. I can only hope the cloak offers some protection, I don't want another spell exploding in my face. My muscles tense in anticipation to the pain.



    ((Lesson of the day: Never use the Light spell? Get up before casting? ;x

    Oh, and she covered only her arms. She don't need to see to cast this spell, she can't see anyway.))
     
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  20. Sparkie

    Sparkie Auror

    1,459
    305
    83
    Have faith in your fellows. The talents they have may save you. Only do not let them bring harm upon themselves.

    Soldiery - Codex 3:29


    *****​

    The further Aliron gets away from the rest of us, the more I find myself figeting with the pommel of my sword. I hope this newcomer doesn't get the wrong idea, but it's really time to continue our investigation of this area.

    "Pardon me if this seems rude, Hiljikki, but we must continue with our exploration of this place. We've no idea if this is a favorite haunt for bandits or foul creatures."

    I then turn to Cadell and Matthew. "Once you find a place to tie up your horses reins in the courtyard, I'd reccomend doing so. I'm willing to wager that going in on foot is our best option."
     
Loading...

Share This Page